Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Asking for a friend but is there a market for new high end hotel at Legacy and here at Tryon Place and a new rumored large subsidized convention hotel?  Hotel financing is getting harder and harder.  This is in addition to the Kimpton opening next week, the new Intercontinental and new Kessler Bohemian?   Or will all but the convention hotel be small like our Ritz Carlton less than 200 keys? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Asking for a friend but is there a market for new high end hotel at Legacy and here at Tryon Place and a new rumored large subsidized convention hotel?  Hotel financing is getting harder and harder.  This is in addition to the Kimpton opening next week, the new Intercontinental and new Kessler Bohemian?   Or will all but the convention hotel be small like our Ritz Carlton less than 200 keys? 

Charlotte is severely lacking in the high end hotel market compared to other cities of our size. The only true high end hotels in Charlotte are the Westin, the Omni, and the Ritz.  In comparison, Austin has opened/is building a JW Marriott, a Marriott, an Autograph Collection, and the Fairmont in additional to two Westin hotels and two Omni hotels already in Austin. 

Edited by TheOneRJ
  • Like 1

It would be nice to have a hotel with condos as there is a market for a small number of new condos uptown.  A new convention hotel probably will happen but on a different city owned site. As I said you have 2 more in the pipeline the Intercontinental and the Kessler Bohemian but I guess we will see what happens. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Per the Charlotte Observer, parts of East Stornewall and South College Street will be closed for nearly a month, starting this Sunday, to relocate utilities for Tryon Place.   Looking forward to see this project get off the ground.  Also looking forward to find out who the hotel will be and what it will look like!  Hopefully we'll find this out soon!

• Like 4

So here in Denver 1144 15th. Street  has finally topped out.  All I can think of though is how much the original Tryon Place design looked like this.  This in it's current design (as we STILL have no movement on that parcel) has to be the most underwhelming project in the past 20 years.  I'd almost rather it stay dormant for another 10 or 15 just to see something that truly deserves this prime spot of land.

34 minutes ago, queensguy06 said:

So here in Denver 1144 15th. Street  has finally topped out.  All I can think of though is how much the original Tryon Place design looked like this.  This in it's current design (as we STILL have no movement on that parcel) has to be the most underwhelming project in the past 20 years.  I'd almost rather it stay dormant for another 10 or 15 just to see something that truly deserves this prime spot of land.

I rather it not stay dormant for 15 years just to say we have a pretty glass box in the shadows of DEC. It’s not terrible. 

I think our towers are much nicer than Denver’s. Nothing there compared to DEC BofA, Hearst.,, my point is, everything doesn’t have to be a stunner

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3

Most underwhelming project? That’s so untrue. You haven’t seen a finished product. You don’t even know anything about the hotel, and the street level, and the retail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, queensguy06 said:

This in it's current design (as we STILL have no movement on that parcel) has to be the most underwhelming project in the past 20 years.  I'd almost rather it stay dormant for another 10 or 15 just to see something that truly deserves this prime spot of land.

Lol 

30 minutes ago, Dale said:

Denver has the drabness skyline if any top-tier city.

Aside from the grammar, I agree

Edited by Jayvee

16 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I rather it not stay dormant for 15 years just to say we have a pretty glass box in the shadows of DEC. It’s not terrible. 

I think our towers are much nicer than Denver’s. Nothing there compared to DEC BofA, Hearst.,, my point is, everything doesn’t have to be a stunner

When it comes to the tallest few towers yeah there's no comparison. The 3 tallest here (just moved to Denver a couple months ago) are painfully boring, and my wife works in one of them. Under that though, the new one queensguy06 mentioned and a few tall residential towers are really nice, and there are a lot of stunning low and midrises that you just don't see from a distance with fantastic street presence and materials. Its interesting that the most active parts of downtown are the LoDo, Ballpark, and Union Station areas, which have mostly 3-6 story building heights. 

Bringing it back to Tryon Place though there's a whole district of glassy new and ongoing 15-25 story construction adjacent to the Union Station area that is very reminiscent of the plan for Tryon Place. I find the area a bit cold/sterile feeling which is my fear for Tryon Place, but there is a ton of retail and when there are enough people out the vibe improves dramatically.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

When it comes to the tallest few towers yeah there's no comparison. The 3 tallest here (just moved to Denver a couple months ago) are painfully boring, and my wife works in one of them. Under that though, the new one queensguy06 mentioned and a few tall residential towers are really nice, and there are a lot of stunning low and midrises that you just don't see from a distance with fantastic street presence and materials. Its interesting that the most active parts of downtown are the LoDo, Ballpark, and Union Station areas, which have mostly 3-6 story building heights. 

Bringing it back to Tryon Place though there's a whole district of glassy new and ongoing 15-25 story construction adjacent to the Union Station area that is very reminiscent of the plan for Tryon Place. I find the area a bit cold/sterile feeling which is my fear for Tryon Place, but there is a ton of retail and when there are enough people out the vibe improves dramatically.

With Millions of square feet of space being developed in the surrounding blocks, this area will be as hopping as Trade & Tryon

Having an unassuming glass box tower with basic accents is sometimes just as good as iconic buildings like DEC or BOA. Something around this height and style is great to make the skyline appear much larger and even emphasize the crowned skyscrapers more.

However, this is a huge letdown considering the original renderings. At least something is going here soon and if the street level/retail/hotel are pretty solid, I'm still happy with this project overall.

I do like it --- just wish someone (ahem, Ally) ordered 2 more floors (to add one more grid pattern vertically). I think it would give it better proportions. But, still patiently waiting to see what the hotel will look like on that block.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 2