Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

What is the benefit from one to the other. Other than costs? 

I'm not an engineer, but I think concrete is considered safer from a fire code perspective (see WTC 9/11).  Also, steel doesn't have as much design flexibility as concrete. I'm sure there are many other differences that others on here could describe but those are two that come to mind. 

5 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I'm not an engineer, but I think concrete is considered safer from a fire code perspective (see WTC 9/11).  Also, steel doesn't have as much design flexibility as concrete. I'm sure there are many other differences that others on here could describe but those are two that come to mind. 

cool. I can see that. makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

It's debatable that Steel can actually be safer. It depends on the hazard. Sure the 9/11 attacks caused a steel structure to collapse, but massive amounts of jet fuel, lead to an unstoppable fire. Steel is actually just as fire proof with spray on fireproofing. Steel is more flexible and better for locations with high winds or earthquakes. The costs for both are probably similar. They both increase around the same percentage annually. Even when steel goes up, it impacts all construction costs, including concrete, which of course requires steel as well. Insurance costs are lower for concrete usually. 

Typically concrete buildings have shorter ceiling heights per floor, but that isn't always the case.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, j-man said:

What is the benefit from one to the other. Other than costs? 

I've heard, among the other reasons given, that because steel beams are thinner than concrete pillars, it can be beneficial in terms of space savings/aesthetics. Which I could see, personally a steel building just looks lighter and more sleek than a concrete building. 

6 minutes ago, nakers2 said:

I've heard, among the other reasons given, that because steel beams are thinner than concrete pillars, it can be beneficial in terms of space savings/aesthetics. Which I could see, personally a steel building just looks lighter and more sleek than a concrete building. 

And doesn't steel have an advantage over concrete buildings in the quicker time it takes to build the structure? I feel like this building will top out sometime this Spring. Structurally it looks like they're already on floor #9. 

Edited by j-man

17 minutes ago, j-man said:

And doesn't steel have an advantage over concrete buildings in the quicker time it takes to build the structure? I feel like this building will top out sometime this Spring. Structurally it looks like they're already on floor #9. 

Eh. Steel may be able to rise faster, but concrete construction can actually be poured faster than steel to rise then built out. Pre cast concrete,  or prefab concrete, even faster.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Eh. Steel may be able to rise faster, but concrete construction can actually be poured faster than steel to rise then built out. Pre cast concrete,  or prefab concrete, even faster.

I could see concrete being easier on smaller sites with little to no staging area, but I don't think this is a factor at this site. I've also noticed that usually on steel framed buildings it leaves more space between floors and inside the floor pillars for piping and wiring, which allows for the space saving factor.

6 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Used this angle for so long to capture progress on LU 1- but will continue to use this angle for progress on Ally and LU2. You can see how this building will effect the skyline from this angle. Actually going to make a big impact with LU2. This drive into uptown is going to be quite imposing and dense in a couple years. 

633D603E-66F0-4CFA-8790-8782D7DDAC18.jpeg

About how tall will this building be in comparison to it's surroundings? I've seen the mockups but nothing against the height of LU or the Westin for example. Half way up LU? 3/4?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jessed said:

About how tall will this building be in comparison to it's surroundings? I've seen the mockups but nothing against the height of LU or the Westin for example. Half way up LU? 3/4?

At 371 feet(I believe) it will be about 20 feet or so shorter than the first setback on the Legacy Union tower and about 110 feet taller than the Portman tower to the right. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

At 371 feet(I believe) it will be about 20 feet or so shorter than the first setback on the Legacy Union tower and about 110 feet taller than the Portman tower to the right. 

378' I'll try to make a graphic at some point today.

9 hours ago, jessed said:

Here you guys go. Best I could do in a half hour.

image.thumb.png.abcb55a136ae47836fde204ef8adaaa0.png

Dense AF lol.  You know what I just realized though from your rendering?  Uptown for the most part has been very signage-less on the majority of our towers.  Stonewall will now have a row of buildings with all their respective companies stamped near the crowns. BOA, Deloitte, Ally, Regions...hell even UPTOWN 550.  Guess that proves the power of 277/Southend and marketing/visibility.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Dense AF lol.  You know what I just realized though from your rendering?  Uptown for the most part has been very signage-less on the majority of our towers.  Stonewall will now have a row of buildings with all their respective companies stamped near the crowns. BOA, Deloitte, Ally, Regions...hell even UPTOWN 550.  Guess that proves the power of 277/Southend and marketing/visibility.  

Well if 277 visibility is the amenity, they should be able to get a pretty penny for the garage naming rights. 

• Haha 3

On a garage of this girth/capacity do they perform any usability studies as part of design and sign off phase? 

By this I mean if any calculation is done such as if I'm parked on floor 9 at 4:30pm on a Friday it will take X amount of time to get out?  vs if I'm parked at floor 9 at 11am on a Sunday will take X amount of time to get out.