Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Like they say in NYC, "seeing is believing". Trump has probably considered building in most every city in America at one time or another, but that's pretty natural given his line of work.

In any case, I feel that a building taller than BoA would have to be truly phenomenal, or else it would hurt the skyline aesthetically. I would much rather see three or four 20-story buildings in Second Ward than a single 80-story tower on Tryon.

Please pass the crack pipe.

There is NO WAY any of this is true.

How can you be so confident that everything said in this thread is not true? I don't know if Trump will build here or not, but I know for a FACT that he was looking at proposals for the tallest building in Charlotte. Whether or not it happens is another story. If you know anything else, please share it.

How can you be so confident that everything said in this thread is not true? I don't know if Trump will build here or not, but I know for a FACT that he was looking at proposals for the tallest building in Charlotte. Whether or not it happens is another story. If you know anything else, please share it.

With the number of outside investors and developers focusing on Charlotte I can't imagine he wouldn't consider it, but just hoping not.

Just to give you guys some info, Trump's tower here in New Orleans was completely designed by another firm, now called "Poydras LLC" from Pensacola, FL. The Trump Organization will fund, run, and manage the building, it had absolutely no part in the design process. And if Trump does end up building in Charlotte, that's exactly what you want to happen; his organization paired with a good architectural firm, because that's usually when you get a nicely designed Trump building. I believe that's what's happening in Chicago and Toronto as well.

I agree with what atlrvr said earlier, there is no way you can pass on a Trump International Hotel and Tower, if that's what he's interested in building. He's building those in New Orleans, Chicago, Toronto, and Hawaii right now, and they all look great. The tower here in New Orleans will also offer lots of street level retail and restaurants, which is something you just can't have enough of. It's the standard "Trump" building you don't want, that's the building with the bland and unimaginitive design, and of course the giant TRUMP at the top. <_<

A look at some of the nice buildings the Trump Organization is behind, apart from the design of course:

Trump International Hotel and Tower Chicago- 96 floors, 1,362 feet

357099yl5.jpg

Trump International Hotel and Tower Toronto- 70 floors, 1,066 feet

244927gs7.jpg

Trump International Hotel and Tower New Orleans- 70 floors, 842 feet

496305oz7.jpg

That would be a matter of opinion, I honestly don't love any of the buildings above, and have thought for some time the Chicago Tower is simply Sears Tower part II with a lighter glass facade. The N.O. design isn't horrible, but I personally don't think that basic staggered/stepped down design is creative or appealing. As these are renderings and Chicago is not complete, I'll hold out hope I am pleasantly surprised in the end when they are complete, but until then wariness is deserved IMO.

Well in the terms you state, any tower that has a flat roof and qualifies as a supertall is going to at least resemble the Sears tower. Any tower that doesn't at least have some step down is just a giant box or cylinder. That, to me, is completely unimaginative. I'm not sure what style building would look good next to the new WB tower. It is so unique (for Charlotte) that building something taller, almost right next to it, would take away from it.

^^Ah, yes, better than the bronze turd on top of bronze box.. :P

^ No, just the exaggerated stepped/staggered down design with little else happening. There are some designs of this type that pull it off well, but the above examples are average at best. The N.O. is the best of them because it has movement and more happening than the basic cylinder on top of rectangle design. It's in the details and deception that make basic shapes appealing if they don't incorporate more physical complexity itself to the design. To use local Hearst as an example, it is a basic rectangle that looks nothing like a rectangle because of the nifty horizontal cross tapering elements.

As far as what would look good next to Wachovia, I agree it should not detract whatever it is, I would advocate for a mid-rise and avoid the problem altogether, putting a possible Trump tower elsewhere (2 or more blocks away).

Edited by nowensone

I like the posted buildings, not just in and of themselves, but they would be a new and different element to the skyline. I'm glad our tall buildings are pretty different from each other and, IMO, pretty imaginative. Not that they are all perfect or great, but we do have variety and I'd like to see more. If The Donald comes, I do hope it is in name and management and not in design.

300 S Tryon is already slated for a development by Spectrum. It appears that Trump is scouting out the Good Year block on the SE corner of Tryon and Stonewall.

If he can pull this off, and they do a design that fits the city or brings something new and interesting to the city, then I am for it. I would definitely hope it doesn't disrupt any current projects, but if it can be pulled off in addition to the others, then I am definitely for it.

I have heard through the grapevine that they are looking at doing something almost as tall as the project in Chicago, which would definitely be the city's tallest.

However, as always, I'd be for multiple shorter towers than height for height's sake. We'll see how this goes, or even if it goes. It seems like UP is getting the heads up on this quite early in the process (and we have even had multiple rumors of this on other threads in the last couple months).

If he does decide to build in Charlotte I highly doubt it will be Trump International - I mean look at the cities that have those towers: NY, Chicago, Toronto, and New Orleans. Charlotte really isn't anywhere near the status of any of those cities. I would imagine Boston, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, etc. would all be considered before Charlotte.

Just imagine if say this is built, even on a pessimistic scale of say 700', imagine the view at Panthers games once the Vue, WB, and this are built. From the skyline angles of the stadium, it would seem that uptown surrounds the stadium. I know he's looking at the "tallest," but just for the sake of our skyline I hope he isn't putting the tallest there. This is in a spot that little could be built around it. 277, the observer, the AACC, the Westin complex, and the convention center all border this plot. If this is built as the tallest, the only way it would look right is if the skyline made the leap over 277 toward the Arlington.

Seattle is going to allow high rise condo towers outside the CBD now. The only catch is that city will levy a hefty land use fee for developers to pay before they break ground. (Of course the buyers of the units ultimately pay it)

Also FYI the land costs in downtown Seattle are so astronomical that it is questionable if a Trump project would be financially feasible.

If Trump were to build in Seattle, he would face roadblock after roadblock, delay after delay, expenses going up by the minute....I highly doubt he would think it worth the effort to build in Seattle.

Ok so I

Schmopper, I agree with you totally, working in development always makes you a skeptic untilthe shovel hits the dirt. What type of engineer are you by the way? Civil, mechanical, structural, something else?

Electrical Engineer.

It's not that I wouldn't want a development to happen, actually just the opposite. It's just that things get wildly out of hand here on UP. People tend to get brave in these posts and spout off.

I would love for Charlotte to have a new tallest, especially, as implied over on the land where the Cabaret sits and the hotel.

But the odds that The Donald would build something of that scope here is kind of absurd to me. The Wachovia project & the proposed 300 S. Tryon and the new BofA tower are way more than enough in the way of office space. We have 3 times as many residential high rises announced as will ever get built. It would be nice to have another hotel, but even in a mixed use with all three, a 1000' tower doesn't really seem plausible does it?