Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Annual Christmas tour photos: Ally with its forever incomplete crown. LU2 With it’s impressive cantilever. Speaking of cantilevers, Spectrum making it’s appearance in the background. 
6D7D6EE5-EB28-4DAA-9353-369366AE2F52.thumb.jpeg.50b350fe99bfe339b890fee7aa2e581f.jpeg
E580983B-6CD6-4D57-8F14-972A1621CF37.thumb.jpeg.38a221266b2e6e6e179db9678ff009b0.jpeg

There’s a decent chance you won’t be able to see spectrum from this angle in a few years [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

walk bys today. Really looking forward to the retail restaurant lineup.  Just a question is this signage going to be something we will see regularly on the garage or what?  

IMG_9972.JPG

IMG_9973.JPG

IMG_9976.JPG

IMG_9983.JPG

IMG_9984.JPG

they got a specialty rezoning for this, so I would venture to guess the answer is YES

I hope the Ally soccer sign is NOT a permanent fixture.

If unfurling a giant new billboard every few months is Crescent’s way of “screening” this hideous deck - then they’ve lowered the bar further. AT LEAST have it cover down to the base of the deck.

I’ll be patient and hope this isn’t their solution here - just like I’ll be patient with their sweatband next door. But this project is currently a head-scratcher. Looks like they’ve barely done anything interior wise in several months, too.

• Like 3

I hope the Ally soccer sign is NOT a permanent fixture.
If unfurling a giant new billboard every few months is Crescent’s way of “screening” this hideous deck - then they’ve lowered the bar further. AT LEAST have it cover down to the base of the deck.
 I’ll be patient and hope this isn’t their solution here - just like I’ll be patient with their sweatband next door. But this project is currently a head-scratcher. Looks like they’ve barely done anything interior wise in several months, too.

It’s not their solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'm starting to believe the developers/architects have figured out they really screwed up the "crown". There is no legitimate excuse as to why the screening wouldn't be complete by now otherwise.

I had this same thought.  I couldn’t imagine a developer or architect wanting to leave it’s name on this project, if THAT is the finished product of the “crown”. 

6 hours ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I had this same thought.  I couldn’t imagine a developer or architect wanting to leave it’s name on this project, if THAT is the finished product of the “crown”. 

Agreed. I think they went back to the drawing board when the first screening went up. Hopefully it means a better final product.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I don't know if the delay is because of a redesign or not, but I think the video board crown would set this building apart from the others.  Ally can't compete with LU1 or DEC with lighting effects, however, they could set the bar at a whole new level with wrap-around video board crown.  Someone posted a video on here a long time ago and it looked awesome.  Similarly, the Salesforce Tower in SF has that technology.    Would be pretty spectacular imo if they did that to Ally...imagine the visibility from Southend and 277.  Could have Ally scrolling across the crown or stock ticker at times or other animations/visual effects.  Would be unique and a clt first. 

Some places have regulations against signs that have video/movement/flashing, etc. as to not distract motorists. I'm not sure if the crown is considered a sign or not but with it's proximity to the interstate I could see video/movement not being allowed. Just spit-balling. I have no idea if the city would consider this a sign and prohibit video, etc.

13 minutes ago, carolinaboy said:

Some places have regulations against signs that have video/movement/flashing, etc. as to not distract motorists. I'm not sure if the crown is considered a sign or not but with it's proximity to the interstate I could see video/movement not being allowed. Just spit-balling. I have no idea if the city would consider this a sign and prohibit video, etc.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the city or NCDOT allowing a giant video screen right next to the highway like that. Seems super-unsafe. But maybe they could just make it a static image electronic billboard that changes images every so often like you see on interstates now all the time?