Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

11 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

A live oak?  That would be great, but not sure how transportable that would be.

A lot of full grown trees were moved into Central Park during it's construction if I am not mistaken. it is feasible, but not easy.

12 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

A live oak?  That would be great, but not sure how transportable that would be.

I’m confused. Will the live oak tree be a small one or a larger one uplifted and replanted. And after that. Will this oak tree survive that inland as they naturally grow in warmer and more wet areas. Just asking 

Edited by j-man

1 minute ago, atlrvr said:

I don't know if it'll be a Live Oak, but I definitely hope so, as they're fun for kids and pictures.  There are a few around Charlotte that haved survived for decades, but definitely not native.

I can’t remember the road I saw one on but it was going north and it was huge and beautiful! I agree

Thought they  said Live Oak and they can thrive in this area as I know someone who has many of them on their property at Lake Norman.  How big this one is I don't know.  They are slow growing but very hardy trees.  They transplant a lot of them in Texas I know that. 

and Crescent has  a free place to get them too.  They develop and own Palmetto Bluff and they are all over there and native.  However live oaks can grow in Charlotte they are just native to coastal warmer places.  Dallas for example has them everywhere. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

They said Live Oak and they can thrive in this area as I know someone who has many of them on their property at Lake Norman.  How big this one is I don't know.  They are slow growing but very hardy trees.  They transplant a lot of them in Texas I know that. 

Transplant them from or to Texas? I would assume from...butNorth Carolina has them too just more East. 

Just now, j-man said:

Transplant them from or to Texas? I would assume from...butNorth Carolina has them too just more East. 

No saying they transplant them all the time in TX from other places and they thrive.  This tree is likely from South Carolina and likely from where I mentioned above Palmetto Bluff.

https://www.palmettobluff.com/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I’m confused. Will the live oak tree be a small one or a larger one uplifted and replanted. And after that. Will this oak tree survive that inland as they naturally grow in warmer and more wet areas. Just asking 

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Shelby- 45 minutes west of Charlotte in the Foothills- but it’s uptown streets are line with Live Oak trees that were brought in from the coast.  And there are actually a pretty good bit of live oak trees Integrated in Charlotte’s neighborhoods as well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

^ I believe those surrounding BofA Stadium are Willow Oaks..  Live Oaks are a bit more stately...

images.jpg

Live Oaks look like this after 100 years or so but those are live oaks around BofA Stadium and all over Hilton Head where there are new plantings or younger trees they are not reaching to the ground.  Their leaves are waxy and and keep their leaves year round. Willow oaks lose their leaves. 

https://www.sptreefarm.com/quercus-virginiana-live-oak-tree-characteristics.html   

I will not be uptown this week but someone should go by and take a photo of the trees along Mint at the stadium then a photo across the street of Honeywell tower.  a Twofer.  

someone asked here you go...

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Live Oaks look like this after 100 years or so but those are live oaks around BofA Stadium and all over Hilton Head where there are new plantings or younger trees they are not reaching to the ground.  Their leaves are waxy and and keep their leaves year round. Willow oaks lose their leaves. 

https://www.sptreefarm.com/quercus-virginiana-live-oak-tree-characteristics.html   

I will not be uptown this week but someone should go by and take a photo of the trees along Mint at the stadium then a photo across the street of Honeywell tower.  a Twofer.  

someone asked here you go...

Mea culpa, mea culpa... "The stadium facade features many unique elements, such as massive arches and towers at the entries, clad in building materials that accent the Panthers black, silver and blue team colors. The exterior pathways are marked by archways of live oak trees and manicured botanical garden features. The interior has been designed to feature wide and tall concourses in addition to wide seats and state-of-the-art sound, video and scoreboard systems."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Mea culpa, mea culpa... "The stadium facade features many unique elements, such as massive arches and towers at the entries, clad in building materials that accent the Panthers black, silver and blue team colors. The exterior pathways are marked by archways of live oak trees and manicured botanical garden features. The interior has been designed to feature wide and tall concourses in addition to wide seats and state-of-the-art sound, video and scoreboard systems."

I know my trees and Beaufort County SC where my condo is has them everywhere.  I didn't mean to derail this thread with the announcement of the live oak tree to be planted at the Ally Center but it is a great tree.   

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

I don’t know if you’ve ever been to Shelby- 45 minutes west of Charlotte in the Foothills- but it’s uptown streets are line with Live Oak trees that were brought in from the coast.  And there are actually a pretty good bit of live oak trees Integrated in Charlotte’s neighborhoods as well. 

Yes I have. And yeah I’ve seen the oaks uptown just didn’t know they were alive Oaks. 

9 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I know my trees and Beaufort County SC where my condo is has them everywhere.  I didn't mean to derail this thread with the announcement of the live oak tree to be planted at the Ally Center but it is a great tree.   

Lol. Cool. Yeah I grew up just a couple counties up from that. Berkeley county which also has lots of Live Oaks. They’re beautiful in urban environments so this one should be too.

• Like 3