Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Hilton Head absolutely reveres its live oaks.  Here is one that a manmade lake was built around.  You are not allowed to cut live oaks down if you absolutely have to you must replace with many more.

Welcome to Charlotte this Live Oak from the Johns Island.  this model shown with the optional Spanish Moss (which is neither) 

20201001_114942.jpg

• Like 4

On 10/9/2020 at 3:24 PM, JHart said:

Only the females smell! Hopefully they chose correctly

Except Ginkoes can spontaneously change sex! No way around it really, other than picking the berries before they fall or applying a herbicide that stops the growth of the cones. 14 trees seems like a small enough number they could maintain them stink-free.

• Haha 3

I didn't think that live oaks could grow away from the coast in NC or even northern Georgia since it rarely freezes at the coast, whereas the non-coastal areas of NC, SC, and N.   Ga. often dip below 32 degrees late at night in the winter.

You see live oaks  by Wilmington, Charleston, and Savannah, but they’re very hard to find in inland cities in NC or in Atlanta, for example.

F148EDF9-7D8B-47C8-9983-4BA5FC537762.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Live oaks can grow in this area as I know someone up at Lake Norman who has many on their property and I have seen them around town.  However they thrive in the coastal and gulf south. 

But just like palm tress, they're very rare in the non-coastal areas of the Carolinas since it freezes inland way more than it does on the coast and is generally colder during the winter.   That being said, I'm sure that Crescent has taken precautions to protect this.  I wonder if the planter is heated.

Of the many things that I love about Charleston and Savannah are all of the gorgeous live oaks.

Anyway, this will be a beautiful addition to Uptown.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

But just like palm tress, they're very rare in the non-coastal areas of the Carolinas since it freezes inland way more than it does on the coast and is generally colder during the winter.   That being said, I'm sure that Crescent has taken precautions to protect this.  I wonder if the planter is heated.

Of the many things that I love about Charleston and Savannah are all of the gorgeous live oaks.

Anyway, this will be a beautiful addition to Uptown.

I have a very large very old live oak in my front yard. 

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 3

Maybe we’re talking about something different.   In my many years in NC, I’ve only seen trees like these  in Wilmington.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen these trees with Spanish Moss in Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh, though I’ve seen tons of them in Charleston and Savannah and some of them in Wilmington.

4ED62438-7036-45CC-86A2-2D26C3671867.jpeg

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Maybe we’re talking about something different.   In my many years in NC, I’ve only seen trees like these  in Wilmington.  

I don’t think I’ve ever seen these trees with Spanish Moss in Atlanta, Charlotte, or Raleigh, though I’ve seen tons of them in Charleston and Savannah and some of them in Wilmington.

4ED62438-7036-45CC-86A2-2D26C3671867.jpeg

Spanish Moss only in Wilmington and other parts of SE NC...grew up there.  Creepy stuff at night and a forest of them.

Edited by Durhamite
  • Like 3

Per ARBORDAY.ORG Live oaks:

"This magnificent, broadleaf evergreen tree will be a picturesque addition to your landscape. It grows rapidly when young and may live to be centuries old. Adapts to almost any soil. Live Oaks can be used as street trees. Tolerant of salt spray. Grows 40'-80', with an 80' spread. (Zones 7-10)"

Charlotte is at the meeting line of Zone 7 and 8. All of NC is in Zone 7 and 8 except for the very highest elevations. 

Spanish moss is less hardy, Zone 8b. Desiccation in winter is the enemy.  https://www.ehow.com/info_8475199_spanish-moss-growing-zone.html

• Like 2

You can have live oaks without Spanish Moss which is neither; it is a member of the pineapple family.  and Spanish Moss is only coastal thing up to Wilmington but live oaks are all over Dallas Ft Worth and nary a strand of Spanish Moss.  

I will bring a dozen or so Krispy Kreme doughnuts and we can all sit under this live oak tree and discuss it more when the plaza opens. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1