Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

That weekend was probably the most people from out of town since the DNC. I wish more of those restaurants were open. I also heard many restaurants uptown closed at 12:30 on Saturday with thousands of people looking for a place to eat. There needs to be better coordination between the city and the restaurants in the area for events like those.

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

That weekend was probably the most people from out of town since the DNC. I wish more of those restaurants were open. I also heard many restaurants uptown closed at 12:30 on Saturday with thousands of people looking for a place to eat. There needs to be better coordination between the city and the restaurants in the area for events like those.

Most restaurants across the country are extremely short staffed- so they probably didn’t have a choice in the matter. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

are you suggesting the city is somehow at fault that more restaurants weren't open?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

are you suggesting the city is somehow at fault that more restaurants weren't open?

I'm suggesting if we are going to host big events, there needs to be a better event planning liaison between the city/ City Center Partners and the businesses downtown. I understand staffing issues but having nearly no restaurants open with 300k people coming into town and thousands of people downtown for College Gameday is a really bad look. So yes, in short, the city could have done more to facilitate. 

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I'm suggesting if we are going to host big events, there needs to be a better event planning liaison between the city/ City Center Partners and the businesses downtown. I understand staffing issues but having nearly no restaurants open with 300k people coming into town and thousands of people downtown for College Gameday is a really bad look. So yes, in short, the city could have done more to facilitate. 

There is a good amount of planning. Every restaurant knew there would be tons of people. It wasn't some secret. Ultimately you can't force a private business to stay open though and many wanted to send their tired employees home after a long day of serving alcoholics and crowds. For some restaurants, they just don't cater to the mid-night crowd and convincing them to stay open isn't possible.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

There is a good amount of planning. Every restaurant knew there would be tons of people. It wasn't some secret. Ultimately you can't force a private business to stay open though and many wanted to send their tired employees home after a long day of serving alcoholics and crowds. For some restaurants, they just don't cater to the mid-night crowd and convincing them to stay open isn't possible.

They closed at 1230- mid day not 1230 mid night. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Retail tenants looking good.  any word on the other spaces as at one point they had them all leased or close to it before the pandemic.  Little patio for the ramen place there and the Golden Cow signage looks good. 

^I wonder if they still plan on a food hall concept for the largest retail spot at Ally? The location facing the parking garage in the alley way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

THE most talked about tree uptown.  the live oak at the Ally Bank Center.  I got up close and personal with the tree and saw some new leave shoots.  Since this is a LaNina winter we should have not much extreme cold which would help it even more.   Hint I think the tree needs a twitter account or a thread of its own on UP.   Hey Charlotte here is my ancestor down in Hilton Head Island see how I can grow. 

IMG_4419.JPG

IMG_4421.JPG

IMG_4422.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

I love the ones by the coast with Spanish Moss.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
this is interesting how DPR Construction made some changes to the construction to keep this hotel on time including prefab bathrooms in the rooms.
Coordination, Prefabrication, Execution: DPR Turns Triple Play for Charlotte, North Carolina Hotel - DPR Construction

All the patient bathrooms in the new bed tower at Atrium Pineville were pre fab pods too. Most things in commercial construction particularly medical and hospitality that are going to be repeated on many floors are prefab. It is much much faster and way more efficient than having it done by piece on site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Diaz said:

All the patient bathrooms in the new bed tower at Atrium Pineville were pre fab pods too. Most things in commercial construction particularly medical and hospitality that are going to be repeated on many floors are prefab. It is much much faster and way more efficient than having it done by piece on site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eventually every high-rise hotel project will probably be built using on-site structure and then plugging in entire prefab rooms. It's just way simpler and faster, with better quality control and no pausing for weather.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Prefab hotels and rooms have been done for a long time.  My parents stayed in the Hilton Palacio del Rio in San Antonio when it was brand new and constructed in just 9 months.  It is still standing now.

San Antonio Uncovered: The Building of the Hilton Palacio Del Rio

This gives me flashbacks of working on a Hyatt House project that was supposed to use prefab structure.  It was a nightmare as far as the MEP design was considered. I'm sure it's faster and easier to construct and probably would be for designers too, if done right.  Maybe it was just this prefab structural engineer or just the fact that it was the first time the architect had ever done a project like this.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TGIBridays said:

This gives me flashbacks of working on a Hyatt House project that was supposed to use prefab structure.  It was a nightmare as far as the MEP design was considered. I'm sure it's faster and easier to construct and probably would be for designers too, if done right.  Maybe it was just this prefab structural engineer or just the fact that it was the first time the architect had ever done a project like this.

Sounds like just bad design coordination to me. Theoretically MEP would be easier with prefab rooms because it's all just plug-and-play.