Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Well, when the CBJ interviewed Infinity Partners in april they said more news and developments should be heard in 60-90 days so anytime from towards the end of june to the end of july we should hear something and hopefully SEE something, and if they are already in the rendering stage maybe they could surprise us all and give us a rendering a little early! But does anyone know about how much time a project of this scale would take to complete a rendering ready for public announcement?

It would really depend on how the architect is hired. Most architects do not do any design work until they get a contract. In this case it could be a month or so after signing of contracts to get some schematics... depending on the aggressiveness of the schedule. Other architects might take a gamble and provide some "pre-design" services for free to try to get the job, ...this is widely frowned upon in the industry. If these services are performed there might be renderings already but they would be far from finalized. Finally there are competitions. In that case there would be multiple sets of very high level material and those would be pretty reliable. It all depends.

It would really depend on how the architect is hired. Most architects do not do any design work until they get a contract. In this case it could be a month or so after signing of contracts to get some schematics... depending on the aggressiveness of the schedule. Other architects might take a gamble and provide some "pre-design" services for free to try to get the job, ...this is widely frowned upon in the industry. If these services are performed there might be renderings already but they would be far from finalized. Finally there are competitions. In that case there would be multiple sets of very high level material and those would be pretty reliable. It all depends.

There is somewhat of a competition going on and renderings do exist.

I can't wait to see the rendering of this 70 plus story tower. I haven't been this ancious for a rendering since waiting on Wachovia's huge project.

I've heard that an official announcement can be expected in about 4-6 weeks...with a full-blown televised news conference, not just a 'next big thing' article in the O--this is going to be very big folks

Edited by guy4charlotte

:shades: I have heard from someone in the loop that Diehl's property is now part of the project. An agreement has been reached, though I'm not sure if the property has officially been transferred. Hope to see some kind of announcements soon.

That would have been the logical solution to an impasse IMO - make some kind of equitable exchange of space in the new building for Diehl's property. What that would amount to I'd love to know the details of. Two prime floors?

That would have been the logical solution to an impasse IMO - make some kind of equitable exchange of space in the new building for Diehl's property. What that would amount to I'd love to know the details of. Two prime floors?

I wouldn't say that the impasse is concretely solved...

No transfer of deed yet. However the financial aspects of the deal seem to have been agreed upon. Part of the negotiations going forward include a time table for moving/and or demolition. Seems the New Yawkers were tough negotiators. Diehl and company are no slouches either, at least on deal-making.

I wonder if this project could take some high-end retail out of Southpark Mall and put it where it belongs (in downtown).

Now that would be nice. If we could get a strip in uptown like a mini 5th Ave or Georgetown or Michigan Ave in Chicago, that would be great. You'd need a couple anchor dept stores, and then the smaller trendy shops in between. I think with someone like Trump on board, this would be a real possibility. Plus, by the time this building is completed, we're talking by what, 2010, 2011, uptown's population will (hopefully) be significantly greater (and likewise the demand for specialty high-end retail).

Now that would be nice. If we could get a strip in uptown like a mini 5th Ave or Georgetown or Michigan Ave in Chicago, that would be great. You'd need a couple anchor dept stores, and then the smaller trendy shops in between. I think with someone like Trump on board, this would be a real possibility. Plus, by the time this building is completed, we're talking by what, 2010, 2011, uptown's population will (hopefully) be significantly greater (and likewise the demand for specialty high-end retail).

I have heard from a couple of sources that the plan includes a podium connecting the 2 towers with approx 175,000 sq ft of retail space....don't know anything about the prospective tenants but I sorta doubt a Trump Charlotte would have a Kohl's or a Target at its base....

Edited by guy4charlotte

I have heard from a couple of sources that the plan includes a podium connecting the 2 towers with approx 175,000 sq ft of retail space....don't know anything about the prospective tenants but I sorta doubt a Trump Charlotte would have a Kohl's or a Target at its base....

I think Saks Fifth would be nice. And I know it's dreaming big, but I would like to have Marc Jacobs in Charlotte.

ehhh when I hear about a podium connecting the two buildings with retail I hear one thing, having to walk inside of a building to access shops... what a great sucess that is in founders hall. We need STREET retail rather then just retail... at least the epi center is kind of a start -_-

As long as the retail is highly visible from the street level, I think that would be sufficient. Founders hall and Overstreet Mall retail is completely transparent to anyone on the street other than some signs.

As I understand it the connecting "podium" is going to be 2 stories in height so hopefully that will add to the visibility factor especially if there is a lot of glass

Hahah, I can just invision the Donald shopping at Target...

As long as the retail is highly visible from the street level, I think that would be sufficient. Founders hall and Overstreet Mall retail is completely transparent to anyone on the street other than some signs.

I agree, Eaton Center in downtown Toronto is a good example of this. It is huge and very open with each level able to be viewed from the next. Yes, it is a huge mall, but it is always PACKED.

Overstreet mall is a really bad example of how to do this -- it is very "closed" feeling to me with shops along snaking corridors. It is a huge hallway and just isn't comfortable.

I am VERY pro-street level access and retail and it would be my first preference, but enclosed retail can be done right.