Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

1 hour ago, ClassicColtrane said:

ugly, not ugly, don't care, your opinion. 

Not caring or valuing other's opinions because you disagree with them is....well, not good. 

21 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I'm working to get all the crosswalks painted by artists connecting the Bechtler, the Mint, and the Gantt to one another. So hopefully by next spring you will be able to see something inspiring beneath your feet.

Will be interesting to see what the artists come up with.

41 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I'm working to get all the crosswalks painted by artists connecting the Bechtler, the Mint, and the Gantt to one another. So hopefully by next spring you will be able to see something inspiring beneath your feet.

boom! great idea dude! 

23 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Not caring or valuing other's opinions because you disagree with them is....well, not good. 

Will be interesting to see what the artists come up with.

Norm... i was simply stating that i don't care whether it's ugly or not ugly, as it wasn't point i was trying to make. read to understand, instead of reading to respond and grandstand. try that first.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The oak tree was strategic at Ally imo in what the developers envisioned for the area. The Firebird works in its location bc that’s our art district (museums). The oak tree works at ally bc I think thats what they were going for… a nature-y courtyard where ppl can gather and provide some shade during these hot days eating ice cream under. If you look around that area, it’s landscape is well manicured with plants and green roofs. It may not be totally unique, but it’s nice to have a CBD with our level of tree canopy lining the streets esp Tryon. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The oak tree was strategic at Ally imo in what the developers envisioned for the area. The Firebird works in its location bc that’s our art district (museums). The oak tree works at ally bc I think thats what they were going for… a nature-y courtyard where ppl can gather and provide some shade during these hot days eating ice cream under. If you look around that area, it’s landscape is well manicured with plants and green roofs. It may not be totally unique, but it’s nice to have a CBD with our level of tree canopy lining the streets esp Tryon. 

i like everything about ally, from the eco conscious build to the retail it offers, but none of you are going to convince me that a tree is more interesting  and valuable to that particular corner than an original work of art. if you want a nature experience go up tryon less than a block and chill at The Green. great park with some solid food options!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I love the firebird and think it was the right choice, but you won’t find me hanging out near it at noon in the summer because it’s pretty exposed and hot as heck! 

That live oak tree, otoh, while adding a little more aesthetic than a regular tree, that’s not it’s real value.  It’s real value for that spot is the needed shade it provides in the midst of a concrete jungle in a southeastern US climate. A climate experts predict will see average summer high temps increase *8* degrees over the next 50-75 years.

People are gonna LOVE that boring tree if they can keep it alive. 

Hopefully they can keep it alive! It's something I've grown to really like and I want to see it thrive.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

I love the firebird and think it was the right choice, but you won’t find me hanging out near it at noon in the summer because it’s pretty exposed and hot as heck! 

That live oak tree, otoh, while adding a little more aesthetic than a regular tree, that’s not it’s real value.  It’s real value for that spot is the needed shade it provides in the midst of a concrete jungle in a southeastern US climate. A climate experts predict will see average summer high temps increase *8* degrees over the next 50-75 years.

People are gonna LOVE that boring tree if they can keep it alive. 

lol no one “hangs around” the firebird. just like chicago’s bean - people observe it, take a quick pic of it/with it and keep it moving. i love how much attention it gets, as i walk uptown everyday. 

wow, how prescient of the developers to plant an oak tree to help with the increasing temps lol. i don’t think that’s what happened. i think they wanted a nature vibe and went for it. and that’s cool and great, but i believe that incredibly busy corner of the city, where 10s of 1000s of biz/sports tourists will venture, would have benefitted more from something much more unique and interactive and picturesque. but i digress, i’m just a cpa who only knows spreadsheets.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, ClassicColtrane said:

lol no one “hangs around” the firebird. just like chicago’s bean - people observe it, take a quick pic of it/with it and keep it moving. i love how much attention it gets, as i walk uptown everyday. 

wow, how prescient of the developers to plant an oak tree to help with the increasing temps lol. i don’t think that’s what happened. i think they wanted a nature vibe and went for it. and that’s cool and great, but i believe that incredibly busy corner of the city, where 10s of 1000s of biz/sports tourists will venture, would have benefitted more from something much more unique and interactive and picturesque. but i digress, i’m just a cpa who only knows spreadsheets.

This is an urban forum.  As such, you’ll probably run across people who have an opinion that active spaces, green spaces (and yes… even due to heat) , bike lanes, affordable housing, etc etc is more important than picturesque plaza’s for people to stop and take pictures at after a minor league baseball game.

And that’s not me trying to change your opinion because I don’t think I could so. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This is an urban forum.  As such, you’ll probably run across people who have an opinion that active spaces, green spaces (and yes… even due to heat) , bike lanes, affordable housing, etc etc is more important than picturesque plaza’s for people to stop and take pictures at after a minor league baseball game.
And that’s not be trying to change your opinion because I don’t think I could so. 

lololololol so now art isn’t a part of urban development? got it, [emoji1474]

wait, wooooah… hold on, this is an urban forum? had nooooo idea, i appreciate the clarification. these things aren’t mutually exclusive, art can exist with, inside of, or without green space.

also don’t appreciate the slick “minor league baseball” comment. i’d argue that we esp NEED something more inspirational to look at on our way back to the train after leaving bofa stadium watching the panthers hand in another mediocre season. but hey, at least we have shade on this one corner! yay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, RANYC said:
All just a matter of opinion, but I'll take shade-producing tree canopy everyday all day.  
Want a nod to humanism, put a sculpture or installation under the tree, and let me take it in in the shade.
Performance art - sure, set up a stage under the tree and let performers do their thing in the shade.
I can't recall when Charlotte has had developers actually install, not saplings, but "mature" trees for place-making in a new development before Ally, and I couldn't be more thrilled for it.

i mean, we have entire parks in uptown with plenty of trees and seating lol. we also don’t have many buildings with place-making on the street. there’s concerts and events all the time at romare. 

look at twitter/instagram comments when charlotte SHOUT is here. people are yearning for more street activation and cool things to do/look at. every year people want all of the items to remain in uptown permanently. why do you think that is??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ClassicColtrane
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't see street activation and a mature tree anchoring a corner plaza as working at cross-purposes.  Also, I think it's differentiating that Charlotte's CBD is a bit like an urban forest in parts, and Crescent is building on that originality.  Sure we could use more activation in Uptown, but the trees are blameless in any shortcomings we may have there.  I am and always will be an ally to the Ally Live Oak.

so you’re saying that on *that* particular corner  plaza, the oak tree and lets say - chicago’s “bean,” or manhattan “LOVE” sculpture or even brooklyn’s new “unity” sculpture, inspire the same things? come on… i believe they are working at cross-purposes on *that* corner. 

again, i am NOT anti place-maker tree. i just don’t like the tree on that corner, but just my opinion.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Interesting conversation I sparked here by defending that oak tree lol. It did get a little heated. Nature VS Art when a lot of the time Nature is the muse for artists. It was nice to see all your opinions nonetheless on art and the tree/nature. Also! The cool idea CLTdev mentioned : ) anything to brighten up that intersection. It was a cold uninviting intersection when it was even just WFC, then DEC. Not much life there and now the space is much more activated.

• Like 3

I really love both plaza sculptures and trees in an urban environment so I can see the incentive to do either in a high profile spot. One thing I did note about the tree is that I did feel there wasn’t as much going on architecturally surrounding it whereas the plaza between Ally and Golden Cow had the cleverly placed pattern of benches and trees.

• Like 2

So I got a little PTSD when I found this picture of the layout (that we’re still building giant parking decks uptown with no retail) lol but wanted to do a retail check. Facing Tryon we have Jinya, Starbucks, salata, and the brown bag seafood joint. 

Question: is the rumored del friscoe  grille still in the works? Assuming it would take one of the large spots facing Brooklyn VA.  Not entirely a huge fan of this restaurant being located right next to Deans and Caroline’s (rather have the once rumored Mexican place instead). I’m really excited for the museum of illusions to open up. A non food/bev option in uptown is huge and will attract a lot of ppl to the area. Big win imo. 

Appears to only have a few more retail spaces left. Personally would like a little pub like space like the old Mortimers or something with music.  Thinking of a cool spot to go to before or after games. Maybe one of the spots in the alley way facing parking deck. Really wish that side of the parking deck had some retail. Could have been a cool little alley way.  Overall, very happy with how this is turning out. 
17221125-A1B5-46CA-9F46-A15CF6B62A28.thumb.jpeg.dd3dadc37f6f501b0925e9364041d3b5.jpeg

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
Added pic
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, jednc said:

I swear to God if we start debating whether the tree or some art installation is better on this block, I'm going to chop that tree down and replace it with this...

Photo Statue GIF

Luckily the block button is my friend. Prevents debates I don't want to have :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2