Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I would ask the same thing. I know all of the players in the Trump deal and not one of them has indictaed to me that trouble looms. They are tight lipped, but grin everytime the topic comes up. I also know the Infinity guys were in New York on Wednesday, so unless they were on Wall Street raising capital, I would assume they were meeting with TTO about Trump Charlotte.

I would ask the same thing. I know all of the players in the Trump deal and not one of them has indictaed to me that trouble looms. They are tight lipped, but grin everytime the topic comes up. I also know the Infinity guys were in New York on Wednesday, so unless they were on Wall Street raising capital, I would assume they were meeting with TTO about Trump Charlotte.

lets hope they werent on wall street trying to raise capital

lets hope they werent on wall street trying to raise capital

:lol: Well as much "funny money" that the Central Banks have been printing Trump might be able to "take a number" and let ol' Benny cut him a check too. They have already "prinited" (infused) over $80B last week into the credit markets to bail out some banks, and funds! That is three times how much money they injected into the system after 9/11 just to keep the credit market from freezing up. Hell's fury is just starting to be unleashed on the credit markets which will stall ANY project not started by the end of the year. Even Trump uses OPM (other people's money) to develop his projects, so if money is tight(or expensive), projects don't get started, its that simple,

A2

Edited by A2

Yea, but I think the Charlotte market really never got inflated like other markets did, and that is what is helping it stay strong (and grow!). I mean, look at how house prices just SKYROCKETED in areas like DC and the northeast, among other areas. Houses that were $150,000 in say 1995 were selling for close to $750,000 last year! And this was normal! Things were getting completely out of control, and the market is correcting itself in those areas. I really don't think the market in Charlotte even needed correrction, housing here is still dirt cheap when compared to other areas. I mean finding a 1-2 bedroom condo for $250,000 in a city center the size of Charlotte's is almost unheard of in many other parts of the country.

It is not all just about the pirce of a condo, but rather the supply and cost of money borrowed that determines how many projects can and do get built. Right now the Credit markets are staring into the dark abyss of endless pain. This will have DIRE consequenses on ALL markets, granted to a lesser extent where the excesses were not as great.

To get back to Trump, my thoughts are that the longer this takes, the more possibility it has for being shelved until another upcycle in housing emerges (which might not be until 2010-2011 time frame, at earliest).

A2

Wasn't it said that the towers would be completed around 2010-11 if announced? Perhaps they want to get in the market now so as to be ready for the next upcycle.

If you look at the delivery dates for most of the tall buildings, 2009 plus is when they complete. We have trademark, avenue, the park short term delivering. Only some wood frame projects completing after that. The Garrison in '08 then one year until any others complete even if they make the proposed timelines. That is a big if since most have not started.

Well it looks like everyone was right.....Trump withdrew his offer to buy the James McElroy and Diehl building at Stonewall and College after they couldn't renegotiate after it was appraised lower. It doesn't look like it's going to stop Trump from going ahead though. I think someone mentioned it would be plaza anyway, so to that, I'm glad the building stays.

Well it looks like everyone was right.....Trump withdrew his offer to buy the James McElroy and Diehl building at Stonewall and College after they couldn't renogiate after it was appraised lower. It doesn't look like it's going to stop Trump from going ahead though. I think someone mentioned it would be plaza anyway, so to that, I'm glad the building stays.

so does that mean he will have to build around it?

And what did the CBJ say?

Basically Trump has no deal with Diehl that would give Trump 3.8 acres.

The "preliminary" plan is, as said on UP, a 70 story condo tower, and a 40 story office tower with a "retail center"

~ "Latest on Trump's plan for S. Tryon: No deal for Diehl"

August 17th 2007 Charlottebusinessjournal.com

Edited by Miguel

As long as the Trump project doesn't lose any building square footage, and as long as the loss of the land doesn't prevent the Trump project for happening, I am very happy that building stays. If it is going to be torn down anyway, then best as a separate project that will make the lot denser. But as the lawyers seem to want to stay, then it is great to keep that old building. It is pretty basic, but it is was built in 1926.

I2150314.JPG

Windows with grilles would also look more to its 1920s appearance.

I think everyone will be glad in the end that it stays, versus being torn down for a plaza. We don't really need yet another sidewalk marker about the building and look up and see something very uninteresting. We have enough plazas within a couple blocks of this project anyway, with plazas at both One and Two Wachovia, the planned plaza at the new Wachovia building, the planned plaza at the Nascar museum, and a few other spots that could arguably be called plazas.

It would be a very tear-downable building in most other cities, but people don't realize very strongly that we only have a handful of non-residential buildings left that prove downtown Charlotte really did exist 80 years ago (no one really believes that it existed 240 years ago, even though it did). The 'Charlotte' label really wasn't photoshopped into those old pictures. At this point, we need to save the ones that have survived, without exception.