Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Well, looking at Polaris, I think the property size is actually much smaller. Someone earlier on this thread said his property was 3.8 acres. I think the entire block is 3.8 acres and his is about .8 acres. For whatever reason, it lists his size as 22,050 SF but if you count up the rest of the properties, they add up to about 3 acres then plop on his possible .8 acres and that gives us that number (3.8). But still, back to my point about Ghazi, it is still about the same size as what he bought on the opposite side of the loop.

Well, looking at Polaris, I think the property size is actually much smaller. Someone earlier on this thread said his property was 3.8 acres. I think the entire block is 3.8 acres and his is about .8 acres. For whatever reason, it lists his size as 22,050 SF but if you count up the rest of the properties, they add up to about 3 acres then plop on his possible .8 acres and that gives us that number (3.8). But still, back to my point about Ghazi, it is still about the same size as what he bought on the opposite side of the loop.

I would love to own 0.8 acres inside the loop anywhere. Not debating whether it has value (and lots of it). Just thinking through whether that 0.8 acres has more value as part of an assemblage of 3.8 acres where far more can be done with the whole block, or less value by itself and not part of the greater project.

Back to the point that started today, The Observer gave me a gasp when I read their headline before digging into the article.

Now just think of all of the gasps people are having when you combine the headline of "Trump group pulls out of uptown deal" with the other sensational headlines of the Observer covering our horrible mortgage woes and perceived housing slump. Makes us not look as inviting to companies I would think.

Now just think of all of the gasps people are having when you combine the headline of "Trump group pulls out of uptown deal" with the other sensational headlines of the Observer covering our horrible mortgage woes and perceived housing slump. Makes us not look as inviting to companies I would think.

At least the people that make the real decisions likely don't just read a headline and ignore the rest of the article, but the average readers can be very misinformed from something like this. I'm sure there are plenty of conversations today at lunch about the Trump deal being dead -- with them thinking it is the whole deal and not a very minor part of it.

OK, WCNC (formerly billed itself as NBC6) just said this on their 6PM news.

"...the Trump organization is no longer going to build a highrise in uptown.". :o (straight from Sonya Gantt's mouth)

Maybe they got it wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised they didn't do a more thorough job in investigating, but this sounds like the project has indeed been canceled.

"...the Trump organization is no longer going to build a highrise in uptown.". :o (straight from Sonya Gantt's mouth)

Maybe they got it wrong, and I wouldn't be surprised they didn't do a more thorough job in investigating, but this sounds like the project has indeed been canceled.

I think they mean it was canceled all together seeing how they said "highrise"...

Oh well, can't say I didn't expected this to happen.

Edited by Miguel

I just heard the same thing too. They quoted the article from the Disturber and added nothing more. I'm wondering if all of the recent mortgage woes and the stock market ups and downs have any bearing on the deal for Trump.

The only bright spot is that there is a lot of renewed interested in that parcel of land. The momentum on that part of Tryon is unbeatable right now. If it isn't Trump, don't worry, it will be someone else.

So, we may not have a 70 story tower there. I'll settle for another 50 or 60 one (or two) :P

I dont buy it... and yeah I have had a few conversations about trump today... sure would make me look like an ass if i was telling everyone he still is thinking about building and he is totally canceled

According to WCNC's website Trump has pulled out of a deal to buy Deihl's property. They printed the same story the Observer had, nothing more. I'm guessing that they didn't read or understand the whole thing.

Perhaps Trump is gone for good and it won't be the end of the world here by any means, but that would mean it all went down today AFTER the Observer story letting us know they aren't getting one small piece of the block.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Please please please people, don't reguritate sensational and irresponsible reporting as fact. Unless Infinity Partners or Trump says this is cancelled, then this is still very much alive.

The news should be embarassed and ashamed, but sadly, they don't care.

..... What else did they say or was that it?

That was pretty much it. I listened to it several times to make sure that I got the words right. Maybe Trump did completely pull out and Diehl is the only one that would say anything about it. I should imagine that other developers involved with the project might not want to be identified with a failed plan. (if it has indeed failed)

Good ole Fox ;)

They reported; Speaking of uptown, Trump and his little family of billionaires have pulled out of a deal that would give him additional land for his project in uptown. The project will still go on and could possibly include a Trump hotel, a office tower..... ETC.

For all the complaining that some do about the OBSERVER, it looks like they got this one right. And, it looks like WCNC screwed up. I mention this only to say that more than once on here I've read someone's post rebutting the OBSERVER and using WCNC as their source. I'm glad to hear that for now, this project is still on. I say "for now" only because we haven't had a formal announcement of the project. I'm as optimistic as ever this will happen.

Sidenote: Did anyone hear Trump on Larry King on Thursday? He was talking doom and gloom but I couldn't help but think he was trying to use his influence to encourage more panick and therefore make the market more favorable to someone in his position (someone who can afford to buy when everyone else is jumping ship and prices are low).

The news sources being horrid [sensationalism as well as poor reporting/plagiarism of misleading reporting] is really coming to light now, that is the 3rd time in less than a week they have pulled this crap, I would be more concerned at this point that Trump pulls out because our community appears incompetent and moronic. If the Observer in particular is paying attention, try this on for size: You will eventually sell LESS papers if no one moves here and you get no more subscribers, not to mention that less and less locals will pay for your drivel.

Edited by nowensone

For all the complaining that some do about the OBSERVER, it looks like they got this one right. And, it looks like WCNC screwed up. ....

Except in this case, WCNC on the 6pm news, said their information about the cancellation came from the Observer. Having read the article earlier on the Observer, I assumed this was more recent information being reported by the TV station. I neglected to mention this connection.

As I stated earlier, we are talking about the Charlotte media so I suspect they could have gotten it wrong.

Except in this case, WCNC on the 6pm news, said their information about the cancellation came from the Observer. Having read the article earlier on the Observer, I assumed this was more recent information being reported by the TV station. I neglected to mention this connection.

As I stated earlier, we are talking about the Charlotte media so I suspect they could have gotten it wrong.

I emailed the author of the original article from the Observer this morning complaining about the choice of headline. She stated that I was in fact, correct, and that the writers have no control over the Headline of their particular article. She said she will pass my concern (along with many others who wrote her) onto her bosses.

I bet a lot of the complaints came from UP'ers!

Edited by kickazzz2000

WBTV (Channel 3) reported on the 11 pm news tonight (Monday) that the Trump project was "a go."

(Elsewhere on this forum, it's being reported the New Orleans Trump was progressing slowly, but progressing, nevertheless. Donald Jr. is also overseeing that deal).

All the Trump organization has done here is "fire" Diehl.

Charlotte is still Charlotte, and the Trumps should still want in on the money this city has, as well as the opportunity to build a signature project on Tryon. If anything, the financial turmoil of the last three weeks has made Trump more of a secure capital risk than almost any would-be developer.

The Observer has a follow up article including comments from Ashley Campbell of Infinity Partners clarifying that the project is still a go. Observer

Good to have another affirmation of the "go" status.

George, Jefferson seems to not know our current tallest is 60 stories.

Hard to think a condo tower of 60 stories would out-sky BOA.

Since when has the project shrunk to a max of 60 floors? I wouldn't think so.

Good to have another affirmation of the "go" status.

George, Jefferson seems to not know our current tallest is 60 stories.

Hard to think a condo tower of 60 stories would out-sky BOA.

Since when has the project shrunk to a max of 60 floors? I wouldn't think so.

I seriously doubt Trump would want to be overshadowed by the BOA building. After all, this is the same guy whom the City of Chicago had to tell to tone down the building height for his new project there.

From the article, it sounds like they also passed on buying the building next to the QSB....I think it was the old Charlotte Chamber building if I remember correctly. It has a large glass facade and had a tree in the atrium. I always liked that building.