Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

trumps.jpg

Wow, I hope if Trump builds in Charlotte, It's as awesome as the Chicago project!

i don't know anything about the status of this project - whether it will be built or not. hopefully it will and hopefully to it's full extent. if it is - rest assured it will be more impressive than trump chicago... IMO... and i really like trump chicago.

I feel like with all this construction somethig ought to beat out the Bank of America, but all we ever seem to get is semi-substantiated rumors. Its enough to wet your beak, but still leaves you questioning. I really hope we get an official anouncement in a month or two (as mentioned), but I feel the trak record for this project speaks for itself.

It's not that I doubt that cited sources come from people "in the know," but I just don't feel like people "in the know" have reached a stage where they can make concrete statements. At this point the project details only seem to specify that it will be "big" and happen "sometime."

...whatever happens though, I'll still be addicted to this topic down to the very last whisp of a rumor.

I feel like with all this construction somethig ought to beat out the Bank of America, but all we ever seem to get is semi-substantiated rumors. Its enough to wet your beak, but still leaves you questioning. I really hope we get an official anouncement in a month or two (as mentioned), but I feel the trak record for this project speaks for itself.

It's not that I doubt that cited sources come from people "in the know," but I just don't feel like people "in the know" have reached a stage where they can make concrete statements. At this point the project details only seem to specify that it will be "big" and happen "sometime."

Not speaking of just this project, but the scenario above isn't very unusual. What makes it seem so here is that everyone knew just enough in the VERY early stages to be anxious and that makes it seem as though things are creeping along. Truth is a large project such as this takes months and months, if not a year or two, to be worked out and finalized. From drawing contracts to purchase land to planning with the city and within the company, to determining the financing strategy, to market research for due diligence and to make sure the *right* project is done, nothing happens fast. I work on and with FAR smaller projects and elements of them can take this long if not longer. Plans are redrawn multiple times, agreements come and go, markets change, and various inspections (environmental, etc) have to be done which might cause changes to plans or renegotiaions.

A lot of people on here know folks working on this and confirm it is real, the Trumps have confirmed they are considering this project -- so their interest is real, what will come about is up in the air.

Don't assume (not saying anyone is, just in general) that something like this can be put together in a time frame that we would hope for or would seem reasonable from the outside. If this were rumoured in the Spring and truly announced this Winter or early Spring, that is working FAST for a project of its scope and size.

Most larger but simple commercial real estate transactions can take 3 - 12 months from contract to close and that is just the closing.

Another way to look at it, The Vue -- announced, sales started, etc, but seemingly all the kinks weren't worked out and it took all this time from when it was supposed to start to now for it to materialize. Likely the Trump project and many others are working out the kinks ahead of time and not behind.

Edited by Charlotte_native

...Another way to look at it, The Vue -- announced, sales started, etc, but seemingly all the kinks weren't worked out and it took all this time from when it was supposed to start to now for it to materialize. Likely the Trump project and many others are working out the kinks ahead of time and not behind.

Or 300 S Tryon. That thread was started in 2004 and we still don't have any construction! :o

Patience is a virtue, especially when it comes to building skyscrapers.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here (not a big skyscraper guy), but I'd rather Trump's project NOT beat out BofA Corporate Ctr as the tallest... BofA is a beautifully designed building and has become an icon for Charlotte... I'd hate to see it be eclipsed. Besides, there is something to be said for having the tallest, most iconic tower right there at the historic center of town @ Trade & Tryon.

Perhaps I'm in the minority here (not a big skyscraper guy), but I'd rather Trump's project NOT beat out BofA Corporate Ctr as the tallest... BofA is a beautifully designed building and has become an icon for Charlotte... I'd hate to see it be eclipsed. Besides, there is something to be said for having the tallest, most iconic tower right there at the historic center of town @ Trade & Tryon.

True, but the Chrylser Building isn't NYC's tallest and it's still an icon. Also, think about Rockefeller, Woolworth, etc.

John Hancock isn't the tallest in Chicago, but still is an icon.

I too would rather it not be the tallest. I actually would like for it to be in the 30-50 story range personally. I'm more about the urban fabric of a place than the height. I would like to see 100k sq feet of retail, a 30-40 story office tower, and a 50 story hotel/condo tower, with 500 hotel rooms and only 100 condos.

I definintely like height, but can certainly live with another 30, 40 or 50 story tower. More than anything, I would rather see more hotel rooms than condos come out of this potential project. Given the shortage of hotel rooms in Uptown and what seems like an endless array of condo projects, it makes more sense to me.

Bank of America is going to disappear Whether Trump builds or not: 210 Trade, Wachovia, Vue, and Hearst are right up there challenging Bank of America's height.

I, personally, can not stand skylines with no dominant tower.

Edited by Miguel

Bank of America Corp will still be a dominant tower. 210 and Vue will be between the heights of the Hearst and 1 wachovia. The new Wachovia tower will add nice balance but I think will still come in a close second to Bank of America Corp.

Bank of America Corp will still be a dominant tower. 210 and Vue will be between the heights of the Hearst and 1 wachovia. The new Wachovia tower will add nice balance but I think will still come in a close second to Bank of America Corp.

Actually, 210 Trade and The Vue are close to Hurstand the current projection of Wachovia is taller than Hurst, although With Wachovia rumors and Trump, we are looking at some of the tallest buildings yet.

My opinion about Trump's height, I hope it is the tallest! I encourage more height in Charlotte, to help our city make a stand against other major metropolisis'. BofA will always have an identity to it, but inviting someone to go out with the old and in with the new is well encouraged by me. Why not have a new signature tower? Why does one have to be so strict on one. Plus with the new towers that are possible to go higher than BofA is more than several blocks south away from it, so it will always stand as a dominance in its respectable region. I do agree about enjoying skylines with a dominant tower. That is why I hope to not only see 40-50 story towers built. I would love to see variety in this city. I would also love to continue to see Charlotte as a city that is changing and keeping up as a modern metropolis. I invite Trump to build a star for Charlotte, whether it's at 50 stories or at 100 stories. I do hope , though, to see BofA replaced as dominant by either Wachovia or Trump, however. We would still have a dominant tower to give a breathtaking skyline, and would also have something modern and new to be heard about worldwide. BofA has made a strong 15-year presence for Charlotte and ultimately has contributed to making Charlotte what it is today, but it doesn't hurt to be stuck on history, because the history of today is tomorrow, and one day there will be a new star to shine in Charlotte!

Edited by Andyc545

I too would rather it not be the tallest. I actually would like for it to be in the 30-50 story range personally. I'm more about the urban fabric of a place than the height. I would like to see 100k sq feet of retail, a 30-40 story office tower, and a 50 story hotel/condo tower, with 500 hotel rooms and only 100 condos.

Totally agree with you there. Charlotte has an impressive skyline... what it needs is to continue to expand street retail throughout Uptown to encourage more walking, and I hope this one and the big Wachovia project do that for S Tryon St. After all, how many of you are going to buy one of these uber-expensive Trump condos or stay in the luxury hotel so you can enjoy the view? It's much more likely to experience the tower by visiting one of the shops or restaurants on the ground floor.

I do hope this gets built.

FWIW, I'll vote with the people wanting a new tallest. BOA tower will eventually be passed, there's no question in my mind that it will happen, so why not now? ;)

As for the skyline needing a dominant or signature tower, I'll be in the minority on this I think but I disagree with that as well. There are plenty of cities with great skylines without a dominant tower. Houston comes to mind. Even NYC itself is kind of a blur of buildings at this point, without the WTC towers. But I'd be surprised to hear anyone say those aren't two of the best skylines in the US.

Regardless of which tower is bigger, I am reminded of how much I like the skyline everytime I venture out of center city and come back in. I had dinner out of town last night and came back in via Independence at sunset. WOW. I was telling my partner, as he was talking about how much he loved how it looked, to imagine it with 12 or 15 more buildings.

• 2 weeks later...

I admit...I'm bumping this thread just in the hopes that someone with a little more info will see it back at the top and decide to spill some more beans...(sorry)

Maybe not directly related to the project in Charlotte, but.....

Trump is currently involved in a semi-scandal in Scotland where he wants to build a 5 star hotel and a golf course. There is at least one property owner that will not sell his ancestral property to him which Trump needs for his project. (Trump is offering $750.000) The local media has gotten a hold of the story and Trump is on the defensive as he is being seen as a bully developer from America. It's not helping his cause much when he brags that he is the largest property developer in NYC and is calling the guy who owns the land names for not selling to him. i.e. implyin that Scotland "needs" him.

It does sound like some of the same situation that happened here in Charlotte with Diehl and his plot of land. If anything, the Scotland situation may have Trump a bit distracted.