Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Isn't the Trump project located in the Tryon / Stonewall / College / Hill street block? Just across Stonewall from the AACC piece of the Wachovia complex. It's a block east of Brevard.

Back in March when they announced the delaying of the Trump project, they said that they would look at alternative sites in the future. With all of the premium land opening up from the reallignment of 277, there is more property that could be even more beneficial. As stated, that one concept drawing that includes the Westin appears to have the project on Parcel 1 of the reallignment, which is the one that has an opening bid 28 million bucks. It may also be Parcel 2 which is directly across from the NASCAR HofF with a bid at 20 million bucks, but Parcel 1 does have the direct access to the Stonewall Street Station. Could we have a massive 70+ story mixed use tower, excuse me 2 towers, right on the light rail line? Imagine this new view coming into uptown from S. End on the light rail, assuming this project took place... Simply would be lost without words...

Oh and the retail, assuming he puts in ground floor high end retail, this project and the additional money dedicated to the City of Charlotte from the extra money obtained from the bids for the land could really jump start the Brevard Retail cooridor a lot sooner then we may have orginially imagined...

Edited by Andyc545

Isn't the Trump project located in the Tryon / Stonewall / College / Hill street block? Just across Stonewall from the AACC piece of the Wachovia complex. It's a block east of Brevard.

Yes, unless he's through dealing with Bill D. and his group, and instead opts for some of the new undeveloped land at Stonewall and I-277. Even at S. Tryon, it's not much of a stretch (at least for me) to call it a bookend. The other bookend could be the recently announced development behind the arena or even the Winter Garden/Founders Hall retail. Better still to have some good retail dispersed throughout the CBD.

As stated, that one concept drawing that includes the Westin appears to have the project on Parcel 1 of the reallignment,

I would say that this is incorrect. Based on the rendering where you can clearly see 277 in the background (the fourth rendering, furthest to the right) the small tower is depicted on the corner of Stonewall & Tryon; the big tower looks to be about mid-block on Hill Street.

Based on that, the rendering that shows the Westin appears to be looking north (true northeast) over 277 from about the corner of Morehead and Tryon. The Westin is shown to the right of the Trump project, which is consistent with Trump's original location.

Now I'm not saying that Trump isn't considering alternate locations, just that this rendering doesn't provide any evidence to support that conclusion. And I'd also guess that having a Tryon Street address is still pretty important to Trump for a high-end project like this. Tryon is Charlotte's signature street, with corporate headquarters and offices for 2 of the country's top 4 banks. Brevard has the NHOF, and a streetscape project proposed by the city that may or may not actually get off the ground in the next decade.

I would say that this is incorrect. Based on the rendering where you can clearly see 277 in the background (the fourth rendering, furthest to the right) the small tower is depicted on the corner of Stonewall & Tryon; the big tower looks to be about mid-block on Hill Street.

Based on that, the rendering that shows the Westin appears to be looking north (true northeast) over 277 from about the corner of Morehead and Tryon. The Westin is shown to the right of the Trump project, which is consistent with Trump's original location.

Now I'm not saying that Trump isn't considering alternate locations, just that this rendering doesn't provide any evidence to support that conclusion. And I'd also guess that having a Tryon Street address is still pretty important to Trump for a high-end project like this. Tryon is Charlotte's signature street, with corporate headquarters and offices for 2 of the country's top 4 banks. Brevard has the NHOF, and a streetscape project proposed by the city that may or may not actually get off the ground in the next decade.

It could also be that the land made available on Brevard has given the project life and that the developers intend to develop one of these parcels, as opposed to the Goodyear block - and that they simply released existing renderings depicting the original location, after deciding that the difference of a couple of blocks didn't warrant new renderings for this phase (whatever that may be) of the project.

Something had to alter the status quo (indefinitely delayed contemplated project) and the release of the Brevard St. parcels seems like the only thing that has changed. Perhaps that made the project much more viable.

Hmm you may be right. I was taking a viewpoint, personally, of, for example the second shot, a view from NASCAR Tower/Govn't District area looking towards S. End, which would place Westin to the right of the tower and the light rail in between. Purely speculation though...

Edited by Andyc545

Hmm you may be right. I was taking a viewpoint, personally, of, for example the second shot, a view from NASCAR Tower/Govn't District area looking towards S. End, which would place Westin to the right of the tower and the light rail in between. Purely specuklation though...

And in one of the renderings you can see the open space where Bill D's building would be located along College st. This rendering does still appear to be the original location.

ps. Kudos as usual to UPer's for digging this up and getting the scoop on this before even a wisper from the media :)

^Next Big Thing. Could be wrong, obviously, but they can easily pull an ad...duh. I'd speculate that tomorrow there will be an announcement. The fact that the domain names have shifted and the site is up now, in conjunction with the ad coming out -- that is too much for coincidence. Smart move, if you ask me, to have this dropped in line with the tournament -- big money people in town to see this as it unfolds!

Well, I just want to say that I changed my mind with the new renderings: It's exactly what I was hopping for when I saw the first rendering. Very great architecture, now I definitely love it! :thumbsup:

Let's see if we have more concrete information in the days to come.

Unless the bulk of this tower is for office space and unless Trump has secretly negotiated several huge deals with tenants, I don't see how this will be built any time soon. There is not sufficient demand for high-end condos, and although Charlotte has a low office vacancy rate, the need for space will be less acute due to the economic downturn. That has been the case in NYC.

I'm moving to Charlotte this summer and hope this great tower is built asap. I just can't see how it will be.