Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

As soon as I heard that Trumpster was in town and had spoken about purchasing in Charlotte, I knew this board would be buzzing with speculation. Can we all just agree that Trump is interested in promoting Trump. If saying he's interested in buying in Charlotte gets him a few extra seconds on television or in the paper while the sheep (us) hang on his every word, I say he's up for it. Until financing is secured and a sales office opens, nothing is going to happen.

^Indeed. Nothing ever came from the first project that he "leaked" via his son to the local media. Aside from the pseudo domain name registered, there was never an official announcement and more importantly never any mention that he couldn't pull together a plan to actually build the thing. But he sure did get a lot of coverage from it. IMO, his similar project in Chicago busted his balls and he isn't wanting to get into such a mess again.

Trump seems happier these days parading around on the WWE wrestling matches as their mouthpiece.

He is nothing but a dick tease. That is how he builds his image. Makes people think he is going to do wondrous things for them and somehow fades into oblivion without having delivered anything.

At the same time I definitely would be happy to see him finish off the Park or something of the sort.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

So apparently we might finally be getting a Trump Charlotte.....ready for it? Golf Course LOL! The Donald is looking at buying the Point Lake Golf Club in Lake Norman. Here is the link to the article http://green-side.blogspot.com/2010/07/will-donald-trump-buy-point-lake-and.html

I saw that yesterday too... And that's probably the extent of Trump's interest in Charlotte :) Though, from everything I've known about this course it would be a good investment. I also wonder with Quail Hollow likely ending their tournament in 2014, when the contract expires because they hope to lure a PGA major, I wonder if Trump will try to start a new tournament here.

offtopic.gif

wait, what's this about Quail Hollow ending in 2014?

:offtopic: Yea, the guys that run the tournament at Quail Hollow have hinted they won't renew the contract when it expires after 2014. They've stated that they want to bring either the PGA Championship or US Open to Quail Hollow (likely 2017 or 2018). It would require some course renovations that would make it unplayable for 2-3 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see another club in the Charlotte area put a tournament in its place. That's why I thought Trump buying this may tie this place into a tournament down the road. Just me speculating though. :)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Given that this sounds like a multi-building high-rise development, it probably deserves its own thread.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/02/05/3835154/crescent-resources-to-build-transformative.html

In short, Crescent Resources announced that they have picked Little Architects to master-plan a block focused on office, but also possibly including hotel, retail and multi-family.

Little previously had done the conceptual design for the Trump Tower at this same location pre-recession.

Nothing concrete was revealed, except the CEO of Crescent indicated that office is the primary focus, which makes me wonder if they already have a lead tenant in mind.

Well, I think that is just Crescent building up hype.   It will be good for pulling SouthEnd closer to uptown by helping reduce the gap around the freeway.   Certainly we were needing something transformational considering we had a tire shop across from a Fortune 500 Headquarters building.

I am seriously praying Crescent did not get their hands on the 1920s-era James McElroy & Diehl building.  

It isn't like the architecture of Trump Charlotte was all that interesting beyond the height, but it did have some smaller structures as part of the complex, so perhaps there is an opportunity to simply take that component and make it the project.   

My one request is retail!!!!! I actually don't care if the building/complex is anything more than a mid-rise. We have signature towers, we need more infill. That is a killer site in my opinion.

Random question, does St. Peters own the Parking lot between St. Peter's and the Harvey Gantt Center??? Always thought a hotel would do well there.