Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I take transformative to mean that it could be a new tallest building, an intensely developed vertically mixed use block (a mini city center, vegas) or something with significant  retail. Being between Downtown and South End would be ideal for retail draw. 

I wonder if Hill Street would be closed or routed through the development so that some of the excess ROW could be incorporated or maybe they built enough density to warrant constructing part of the freeway cap. 

If we got something like the Crystal Towers project in Shanghai, I'd lose my mind in excitement. Why not? It's multi-use as well and a relatively similar footprint!

http://www.littleonline.com/workplaceBoardsLittle.asp?serviceListed=workplaceBoards

Speaking of china, I've been waiting for years for an ENN North American HQ (especially beside Duke)

It would really be something if we could get enough momentum to trigger redevelopment of the Observer parcels along with the city parcels over towards South blvd. That would be very impressive bookend to downtown to go with the imaginary Levine project.

I take transformative to mean that it could be a new tallest building, an intensely developed vertically mixed use block (a mini city center, vegas) or something with significant  retail. Being between Downtown and South End would be ideal for retail draw. 

I don't personally feel like it would be good to have a building taller than Duke tower there - but that's my own take.  I do hope it is a beautiful building though as the location of it will make it a prominent feature in most skyline pictures of the city.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the "transformative" nature of this project may be an exaggeration?

A "transformative" project in my opinion would be the resurrection of the Trump project, or the relocation of the HQ of a major company such as Wells Fargo or BB&T with a marquee tower or towers as part of the relocation.  I will not be impressed if this is another 15-20 story glass box a la 440 South Tryon, and I certainly do not think such a project should be described using a buzzword such as "transformative".   

I have some insider knowledge on this project that I will share when the time is right, I can assure that the scale will not be HUGE (trump), but will be appropriate (300 South Tryon) and indeed transformative. Then again anything is transformative compared to a Goodyear shop. 

Really like to see WF add the residential tower and this project be hotel/office with street level retail at the base for the office workers and visitors, but not "shopping" destination-level, leave that for a future parcel/project.  With the time involved to design and then build it, there will be at least two other major residential towers open before completion it will compete with, but we of course need the hotel capacity.  The residential tower on the WF site will be better located with direct views of Bearden and the stadium anyway.

Agree with previous poster that I'd almost be happier with this being mid-rise/infill.

Edited by nowensone

I have some insider knowledge on this project that I will share when the time is right, I can assure that the scale will not be HUGE (trump), but will be appropriate (300 South Tryon) and indeed transformative. Then again anything is transformative compared to a Goodyear shop. 

let's hope this makes it a little further than 300 S Tryon  :thumbsup:

Nice catch. Hm... Id guess incentives for a hotel.

I don't think they'd do that. I think they'd only do incentives for a major corp. relocation. Knowing the little I know about the scope of this project, there would need to be a major corporate deal on the horizon.

One more piece of Good news, as best I can tell Crescent owns 95% of the block (goodyear, 122 East Stonewall and the parking lots all around). Everything except 600 South Tryon, which is an older building (especially for CLT)

Check that, it seems Crescent closed on the rest of the land in December :-(

Edited by Guest

I don't think they'd do that. I think they'd only do incentives for a major corp. relocation. Knowing the little I know about the scope of this project, there would need to be a major corporate deal on the horizon.

In this economy I'd be a little afraid that the 3 or more years to complete design/construction would see something like this fizzle, it is certainly better than two years ago, but not exactly stable yet.

I think we're already seeing the signs that Charlotte is booming again, just jaded on corporate locations in general, but one that involves a major construction project seems most at risk.  We're not enough out of the recession that such an undertaking might not stall mid-construction due to financial issues.  Cautiously realistic, hoping for the best.

• Like 1

One more piece of Good news, as best I can tell Crescent owns 95% of the block (goodyear, 122 East Stonewall and the parking lots all around). Everything except 600 South Tryon, which is an older building (especially for CLT)

Check that, it seems Crescent closed on the rest of the land in December :-(

:angry:

There goes another 1920s structure.    No surprise, though, but it is just getting ridiculous how century old buildings just get leveled.

That is what really gets my goat about Charlotte. In a city that is all too eager to tear down the few remaining historic buildings that we have, nothing that replaces them is particularly interesting. Just typical bland architecture that at best is "meh. Well, I don't HATE it"

If we are going to have this raze everything and start fresh approach it'd be great if they had the collective cojones to embrace something truly daring and modern, rather than playing it safe with last century's designs.