Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

See this on the UP Wiki: Trump Charlotte

I heard another rumor last night from a really reliable source that Mr. Trump is taking design proposals from serveral architectural firms for a tower here. I know that a lot of people here have wondered if he was looking at Charlotte and it looks like he is seriously considering it. The kicker is that he is looking to build what will be the tallest building in Charlotte!! The location he is looking at is just across Tryon from the new Wachovia complex (so maybe that parking lot from the models will be gone sooner than we hoped!). I don't know if he is actually going to build here or not, but I do know that he saw several proposals this week for this building, so who knows? Maybe someone here has a little more knowledge about this than me.

That would be awfully close to the Wach building since it corners Tryon and Stonewall, wonder if he'd meet any opposition to that location. I am a little skeptical of his involvement in and announcements of tower projects based on previous incidents, though if a CLT tower comes to fruition it would definitely increase confidence for other developers currently on the fence or in "waiting" mode. I'm wondering, since you heard about this and have at least commented on this forum about it, would that mean he already has land purchased if the rumor is true? A couple of months or so ago someone in another thread here was talking about front companies buying contiguous parcels of land...

Edited by nowensone

This is one of those rumors that has come from so many different sources that I believe there is a good bit of reliability to it.....I believe the last time this was mentioned, I suggested the Goodyear site as a likely candidate.

I hope the architects that he are seeking proposals from are from ones that haven't done a project in Charlotte yet. A few I would like to see. SOM, Arquitectonica, Carlos Zapata, Calatrava. I'd even take another Pelli or KPF, but please, no more TVS or SSRS which seem to do all the major towers in the southeast.

Tryon, Stonewall, College, and Hill St. It is directly across Tryon from the Charlotte Observer.

Any chance it could be the old Renaissance site, or even Hal Marshall Center? Maybe something like Charlotte's tallest could even spur Levine to get off his duff, if it was near his property, or even if he partnered with Trump on it. LOL.

While I would LOVE for this rumor to be true, I can't see him building here right now. Is the market really here for an enormous spec tower? I can't imagine another tall condo tower for a few more years, so I would say that option is out unless he goes mixed-use. I'd really like to see a high end hotel mixed with office space and maybe a handful of penthouses that could use hotel amenities. Needless to say, we need something that isn't incredibly gaudy. Remember, if this is the tallest, this will be the new "crown" for the city. I could deal with Trump just using the building designs for Four First Union (the pretty one, and not the same for ground level, obviously.)

Well, if the project is of this magnatude, you wouldn't probably see completion until around after 2010 - 2015. Large spec towers like this go through years of planning, design, permitting, and the like. So, while the market might not be able to absorb three large condo towers at one time, it's not too far-fetched to think that another tower three years later would be out of the question.

If it is Trump, it's all about ego and it might really happen. Maybe he's trying to have the tallest tower in as many cities as possible....

I'd rather The Donald stay out of our fair city. Beyond his new tower in New Orleans, he builds tacky and cheap looking buildings. I am sure that Jim Gross could easily be his architect--just think--a 70 story Arlington.

I agree. I can't think of anything worse for Charlotte's already bad image of being a soulless city than to have a tower thrown up named after Donald Trump. Unfortunately this is just the sort of thing the city will probably encourage.

I agree. I can't think of anything worse for Charlotte's already bad image of being a soulless city than to have a tower thrown up named after Donald Trump. Unfortunately this is just the sort of thing the city will probably encourage.

I agree completely, BUT not only would the city likely support it but average Joe's seem to think he is something great. Plenty of folks would think what he does is high class rather than high cheeze.

If it's a Trump International Hotel and Tower (which I highly doubt), I'll take it...this is what he is building in New Orleans, Chicago, and Toronto with the original at Columbus Circle in NYC.

If it is a Trump "branded" tower, then I'll pass. These are usually nothing more than average condo towers with the word TRUMP emblazoned really big on the building.

The good publicity for Charlotte within the national development community can only be postive though.

I think I would be pretty upset if Charlotte's tallest is a pure condo building....I just can't imagine how it could be graceful....there is one exception. I'll take an 80-story version of this tower in Atlanta.

01.jpg

05.jpg

07.jpg

^No fair, I already said I wanted this in CLT!!! ;)

Seriously though, I am enamored with the Aquarius design, though it wouldn't be as dramatic surrounded by other tall buildings. I suppose if it were located at one of the two sites mentioned above across from the Wach it will at least have one unobstructed side. Anyway, would Trump do more res, or would he go office spec here? I vote office spec.

Edited by nowensone

I would say it has to be condo...Trump has done little office, and all of it in NYC. He could pick up the CBRE office market vacancy report, and say, damn, Charlotte has had the lowest CBD vacancy rate in the country for 9-10 quarters now, I think I'll meet that demand, but I just don't see it happening.