Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

55 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ to me that is sad.  I know I sound like a broken record but the new hotel could have incorporated this old seed store and cotton warehouse into the new shiny hotel. 

It is sad. And, you do not sound like a broken record. I'm just surprised our Charlotte Observer didn't say more about it.   

• Like 4

I say good riddance.  it is painted brick for god sake.  I see no architectural merit in this thing what soever.  Ground presence is horrendous in this day and age.   Don't get the attachment to it.  Now if Lincoln was assassinated in something like this, sure save it, but what happened here,  people purchased horse food and money grubbing lawyers worked in it?  please come on.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

I say good riddance.  it is painted brick for god sake.  I see no architectural merit in this thing what soever.  Ground presence is horrendous in this day and age.   Don't get the attachment to it.  Now if Lincoln was assassinated in something like this, sure save it, but what happened here,  people purchased horse food and money grubbing lawyers worked in it?  please come on.

I'm guessing the earthquake bolts and the significance of College Street during reconstruction don't mean anything to you.... College street was Charlotte's mercantile street.  It was full of wholesalers, from foodstuffs to buggy and later auto parts. My own company began on College Street in 1915.  We were located where the Hearst Tower is now.  Maybe I'm too sentimental.

You're definitely not alone in your opinion. It seems the majority of Charlotteans agree with you and Crescent.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, abttown said:

I walked inside of this building last week for an inspection and noticed the huge, original wooden beams above the dropped ceiling tiles.   I should have taken a picture, but was in a rush.

That is why I said all along that this would have been a great restaurant or bar area for the new 4 star hotel.   and yes it did have earthquake bolts since it was built after the 1886 Charleston massive earthquake which caused nearly every brick chimney in Mecklenburg county to fall over. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Windsurfer said:

I'm guessing the earthquake bolts and the significance of College Street during reconstruction don't mean anything to you.... College street was Charlotte's mercantile street.  It was full of wholesalers, from foodstuffs to buggy and later auto parts. My own company began on College Street in 1915.  We were located where the Hearst Tower is now.  Maybe I'm too sentimental.

You're definitely not alone in your opinion. It seems the majority of Charlotteans agree with you and Crescent.

Unless this is the first construction to pioneer or use those bolts for engineering than correct I don't care about them.  They seem to be a dime a dozen type thing for that period.  Find me the first building to use them and then i'll be on the side of saving it.  Sentimentality is not reason to keep something, objective criteria is.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, navigator319 said:

Unless this is the first construction to pioneer or use those bolts for engineering than correct I don't care about them.  They seem to be a dime a dozen type thing for that period.  Find me the first building to use them and then i'll be on the side of saving it.  Sentimentality is not reason to keep something, objective criteria is.  

'Objectively' speaking, Charlotte doesn't have many more, if any at all,  examples of this.  Not sure what's so objective about replacing something that could be historically significant with something that grosses a few more bucks per square foot. 

Anyway, you said it yourself, "I don't care about them".  In the words of The Dude, "Well, that's your opinion, man".   

Like I said, you're in fine company.  Crescent and most of Charlotte.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hunted said:

I'm with @navigator319. I've built lego structures more impressive than this building. Totally not worth saving, in my opinion. It will no doubt be replaced by something more significant and impressive.

it will be mostly replaced by a parking garage with no retail fronting the street

Edited by Guest

37 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Doesn't change my opinion on it. I feel like its worth is very exaggerated.

https://denverurbanism.com/2016/07/enterprise-enlivens-30th-lawrence.html

it could be turned into something remarkable, whether you think its architecturally significant or not. 

Stonewall has a handsome elevation, and if you sandblasted this back to its original brick, and added a glass hotel on top, it could be really cool. Really the only negative to this building, IMHO is that it is not set back from the street at all, the sidewalk might be 5 feet there.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.43.14 PM.png

I like the building. But can we honestly say it would’ve been anything cooler than what it has been so far? Could any edgy or funky local business person turn it into anything that’s not an expensive steakhouse? IMO, the density isn’t there for this to have been anything other than what it is today.  

Maybe crescent could’ve built around it. I donr know. But I do know no one probably would’ve sunk money into turning this building into something cool. Taking on debt to renovate this property into a cool little spot? I know I wouldn’t have ever used my money to renovate the bottom into anything. I’d see no way of getting my return back. 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

By using this sentiment all of Noda needs to be torn down if someone came in with enough money to build something bigger and shinier. Cause not one of those buildings is anymore architecturally significant than this. But it's the fabric of these different styles and creative reuses of buildings that make it a nice place. This building could of been that different piece to fit in here with a little rehab. But tis the Charlotte way.

But there’s a big difference between a CBD, particularly prime real estate of office towers and an urban neighborhood.

tax values? Demand? Etc. 

I want to save every little building too. But it’s no different than “Charlotte needs a new tallest! NYC has XYZ 1000ft+ towers.” I want to hear realístic solutions or proposals and not things that might not be economically viable. I want light rail to Charlotte motor speedway, 1000 ft towers, all the old little buildings in prime real estate in a CBD saved and turned into a retro arcade.  There’s still quite a few old buildings that could be repurposed. Along brevard, trade street is filled with older buildings like this one, North Tryon area has its share. Maybe we should be picketing those places to turn into a hipster coffee shop instead of a bail bonds place. 

I actually wanted this building saved and I lamented it going away in this very thread. So I agree. I really want this building saved. But was it realistic to save it? That’s what I’m trying to get at. Using NoDa as an example is apples to oranges.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I want to save every little building too.

I actually wanted this building saved and I lamented it going away in this very thread. So I agree. I really want this building saved. But was it realistic to save it? That’s what I’m trying to get at. 

My argument is that it wasn't just another "little building". It did have significance for many of us older Charlotteans.  

I keep reflecting on Portland, Or....where I actually hope to retire one day.  They have incorporated many old buildings and facades. It really works!  Not everything new and shinny (think Ballentyne) appeals to everyone.  

Edited by Windsurfer
grammar
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

But there’s a big difference between a CBD, particularly prime real estate of office towers and an urban neighborhood.

tax values? Demand? Etc. 

I want to save every little building too. But it’s no different than “Charlotte needs a new tallest! NYC has XYZ 1000ft+ towers.” I want to hear realístic solutions or proposals and not things that might not be economically viable. I want light rail to Charlotte motor speedway, 1000 ft towers, all the old little buildings in prime real estate in a CBD saved and turned into a retro arcade.  There’s still quite a few old buildings that could be repurposed. Along brevard, trade street is filled with older buildings like this one, North Tryon area has its share. Maybe we should be picketing those places to turn into a hipster coffee shop instead of a bail bonds place. 

I actually wanted this building saved and I lamented it going away in this very thread. So I agree. I really want this building saved. But was it realistic to save it? That’s what I’m trying to get at. Using NoDa as an example is apples to oranges.

My response was for the few above yours. Like many here have seen elsewhere it can be done. Many places do it successfully. The sentiment that "its just an uninteresting building vs big new building, better tax value, perceived better use(parking deck), etc" is being used everywhere in the city to tear down many buildings. It's being used in the eventual demise of Smelly Cats. I agree that not all are worth saving, but this sentiment is used for everything (ie Polk Building). My complaint is nothing is being saved. I suppose the biggest thing irking me about this building is it being replaced by a parking deck. I thought we had enough of those fronting major streets. 

2 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

My response was for the few above yours. Like many here have seen elsewhere it can be done. Many places do it successfully. The sentiment that "its just an uninteresting building vs big new building, better tax value, perceived better use(parking deck), etc" is being used everywhere in the city to tear down many buildings. It's being used in the eventual demise of Smelly Cats. I agree that not all are worth saving, but this sentiment is used for everything (ie Polk Building). My complaint is nothing is being saved. I suppose the biggest thing irking me about this building is it being replaced by a parking deck. I thought we had enough of those fronting major streets. 

I guess we could save the facade like Durham and other cities do. 

3FB84E32-4906-461E-B934-9C78ACA3467A.jpeg

E8D26103-BCF2-47A5-BAED-9949144D4FE7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

By using this sentiment all of Noda needs to be torn down if someone came in with enough money to build something bigger and shinier. 

Not even remotely what I'm getting at. There's a huge difference in something like this being in a prime real estate spot in Uptown, versus a niche-residential neighborhood. No comparison.

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ and Raleigh did it with the new Dillon office and apartment building.  They saved at least the facade of the old Dillon Supply.  https://thedillonraleigh.com/property-features/retail/

to be honest, the Dillon should embarrass the hell out of Charlotte Developers. Its like your little brother in little league coming up to varsity and striking you out.