Bled_man

Tryon Place - Crescent project at Tryon and Stonewall

24 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

By using this sentiment all of Noda needs to be torn down if someone came in with enough money to build something bigger and shinier. Cause not one of those buildings is anymore architecturally significant than this. But it's the fabric of these different styles and creative reuses of buildings that make it a nice place. This building could of been that different piece to fit in here with a little rehab. But tis the Charlotte way.

But there’s a big difference between a CBD, particularly prime real estate of office towers and an urban neighborhood.

tax values? Demand? Etc. 

I want to save every little building too. But it’s no different than “Charlotte needs a new tallest! NYC has XYZ 1000ft+ towers.” I want to hear realístic solutions or proposals and not things that might not be economically viable. I want light rail to Charlotte motor speedway, 1000 ft towers, all the old little buildings in prime real estate in a CBD saved and turned into a retro arcade.  There’s still quite a few old buildings that could be repurposed. Along brevard, trade street is filled with older buildings like this one, North Tryon area has its share. Maybe we should be picketing those places to turn into a hipster coffee shop instead of a bail bonds place. 

I actually wanted this building saved and I lamented it going away in this very thread. So I agree. I really want this building saved. But was it realistic to save it? That’s what I’m trying to get at. Using NoDa as an example is apples to oranges.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

I want to save every little building too.

I actually wanted this building saved and I lamented it going away in this very thread. So I agree. I really want this building saved. But was it realistic to save it? That’s what I’m trying to get at. 

My argument is that it wasn't just another "little building". It did have significance for many of us older Charlotteans.  

I keep reflecting on Portland, Or....where I actually hope to retire one day.  They have incorporated many old buildings and facades. It really works!  Not everything new and shinny (think Ballentyne) appeals to everyone.  

Edited by Windsurfer
grammar
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

But there’s a big difference between a CBD, particularly prime real estate of office towers and an urban neighborhood.

tax values? Demand? Etc. 

I want to save every little building too. But it’s no different than “Charlotte needs a new tallest! NYC has XYZ 1000ft+ towers.” I want to hear realístic solutions or proposals and not things that might not be economically viable. I want light rail to Charlotte motor speedway, 1000 ft towers, all the old little buildings in prime real estate in a CBD saved and turned into a retro arcade.  There’s still quite a few old buildings that could be repurposed. Along brevard, trade street is filled with older buildings like this one, North Tryon area has its share. Maybe we should be picketing those places to turn into a hipster coffee shop instead of a bail bonds place. 

I actually wanted this building saved and I lamented it going away in this very thread. So I agree. I really want this building saved. But was it realistic to save it? That’s what I’m trying to get at. Using NoDa as an example is apples to oranges.

My response was for the few above yours. Like many here have seen elsewhere it can be done. Many places do it successfully. The sentiment that "its just an uninteresting building vs big new building, better tax value, perceived better use(parking deck), etc" is being used everywhere in the city to tear down many buildings. It's being used in the eventual demise of Smelly Cats. I agree that not all are worth saving, but this sentiment is used for everything (ie Polk Building). My complaint is nothing is being saved. I suppose the biggest thing irking me about this building is it being replaced by a parking deck. I thought we had enough of those fronting major streets. 

2 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

My response was for the few above yours. Like many here have seen elsewhere it can be done. Many places do it successfully. The sentiment that "its just an uninteresting building vs big new building, better tax value, perceived better use(parking deck), etc" is being used everywhere in the city to tear down many buildings. It's being used in the eventual demise of Smelly Cats. I agree that not all are worth saving, but this sentiment is used for everything (ie Polk Building). My complaint is nothing is being saved. I suppose the biggest thing irking me about this building is it being replaced by a parking deck. I thought we had enough of those fronting major streets. 

I guess we could save the facade like Durham and other cities do. 

3FB84E32-4906-461E-B934-9C78ACA3467A.jpeg

E8D26103-BCF2-47A5-BAED-9949144D4FE7.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

By using this sentiment all of Noda needs to be torn down if someone came in with enough money to build something bigger and shinier. 

Not even remotely what I'm getting at. There's a huge difference in something like this being in a prime real estate spot in Uptown, versus a niche-residential neighborhood. No comparison.

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ and Raleigh did it with the new Dillon office and apartment building.  They saved at least the facade of the old Dillon Supply.  https://thedillonraleigh.com/property-features/retail/

Stuff like that is cool. I'm 100% in favor of preserving stuff like that when it's appealing. The Diehl building simply can't offer anything comparable to the Dillon preservation. 

7 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Sorry to get in the way of a good argument, but it seems this thing has grown by 2 floors....

...carry on.

When I looked the other day it looked like it had dropped down to 25 floors from 26. Where did you see it go up to 28?

This is what I have.
image.png.bb2778a5cce08dd64ac9aade3f0eaa45.png

Edited by ricky_davis_fan_21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Stuff like that is cool. I'm 100% in favor of preserving stuff like that when it's appealing. The Diehl building simply can't offer anything comparable to the Dillon preservation. 

The Dillon was half as architecturally significant, and not much larger than Diehl. The only thing on Dillon that was worth saving was the hand painted sign, which is why it was saved.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Does that push it over 400'? 

I mean, the document that was just approved a few days ago said 25 floors, and it was confirmed at 25 floors.  Going to look into this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

When I looked the other day it looked like it had dropped down to 25 floors from 26. Where did you see it go up to 28?

Accela revision request today.... additional information tab provides revised sq ft as well that ties to larger building size....

• Like 3

So about 420’ now?

I’m still skeptical, I need to look into this, that 757 number sounds familiar and I wonder if it’s from an old Tryon Place submit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

This represents a 3 floor leap in size. 

BEFORE

image.png.4de4322625db1a00e90fb9c2f49a1bbb.png

AFTER

image.png.46f14eb430736be56601f1d83ed804a6.png

Sure, the added size will be nice... but is it REALLY worth those extra 4 parking spots that the employees are being robbed of? I say take it down a few floors.

• Haha 1

Sure, the added size will be nice... but is it REALLY worth those extra 4 parking spots that the employees are being robbed of? I say take it down a few floors.

Haha!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're incompetent. You also still don't know the difference between "then" and "than" (just poking, don't get upset). 

Jokes aside, this will bring it closer to the originally planned height, so that's a plus (no pun intended). I'm aware that there were several revisions of the "green version(s)" of Tryon Place, but it was always generally around ~400+. I was disappointed with the final renderings with the Ally announcement mostly due to the fact that there was a bit of a height reduction coupled with the fact that I thought the green looked cooler. I guess this softens half the blow. Nonetheless, great news.

• Like 2

Yeah, this additional height makes this project a little less horrible for me. I mean, it’s really not that bad, but our emotions were played with, when they brought out the original renderings.  What a cool ass building that would have been at the entrance of uptown. 

• Like 2