Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

The last thing im going to say regarding Crescent is simply, as a pedestrian, it doesn’t look bad. 

To borrow a picture from Spiritof76, in the stonewall thread.... this is what you guys are hating on:

Every city has big, ugly (much uglier than the backside of Novel) parking garages facing the interstate. 

Yes I am 100% hatting on everything outside of my crude box. I hold Crescent responsible for the just exquisite pair of hotels this is bring as well.

Have you see the drive by video of Atherton as well???

On 4/24/2018 at 9:17 AM, rockhilljames said:

Yeah Austin is crazy right now. I came across this image the other day I was wondering if anyone I had done one for Charlotte, I'd love to see the difference.

austin.jpg

Charlotte 1995

Related image

Charlotte 2018

Image result for image of charlotte nc from 2018

Photo Credits:

Images of Charlotte from 1995 -- https://www.google.com/search?q=image+of+charlotte+from+1995&oq=image+of+charlotte+from+1995&aqs=chrome..69i57.5278j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Images of Charlotte from 2018 -- https://www.google.com/search?q=image+of+charlotte+nc+from+2018&oq=image+of+charlotte+nc+from+2018&aqs=chrome..69i57.5711j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I love Charlotte I just find pictures of the Charlotte skyline not as pretty as in person. I think it just needs to be more dense and stretched out. It just doesn’t seem very Urban to me. I apologize for being off topic. 

You might be happy in a few decades

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

I love Charlotte I just find pictures of the Charlotte skyline not as pretty as in person. I think it just needs to be more dense and stretched out. It just doesn’t seem very Urban to me. I apologize for being off topic. 

You can’t really have it both ways. That Austin density shot, Houston and Atlanta are often faux density of an angle that makes the buildings look bunched together. Let’s focus on real density, which we do well, as the pedestrian experience is what will really matter 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

I think one thing that makes Charlotte appear less dense is that we have 3 (soon to be 4) skyscrapers that are significantly taller than anything else.  Duke and BofA specifically are extremely tall relative to everything else-over 120 ft and and 210 ft taller than Hearst at number 3.   This makes our skyline's ratio of height to length more equal than say  if we had several 500 footers in place of BofA Corp Center and Duke.  Furthermore all the tall towers bookend our skyline creating a midsection in the skyline that looks relatively short.  Both together give the appearance of lack of density.  In reality, compared to Austin which looks much more dense from some angles than Charlotte, we have approximately the same amount of buildings over 400 ft.  It's just that they don't have a near 800 footer and near 900 footer that dominate their skyline.

Exactly. In pictures Charlotte’s bookend skyline keeps it from looking like Austin or Nashville’s skyline. Which is fine with me. I love Nashville and all their development and culture. But it has really become a city of new boxes.  Tryon place and FNB are both really going to elongate the Charlotte skyline from certain angles. And Charlotte’s skyline is very dense and compact. We have a lot of towers but they are much, much  closer together than Nashville and Austin. When you’re in uptown Charlotte, there are several times when you get the big city urban canyon feel that you don’t get in Nashville or Austin.  

• Like 4

I am not going to get into this  debate, but I'll just say Wikipedia is not up to date for Austin and that Austin photo in the previous post is around 7 years old and missing , well the last 7 years of the construction boom.  The other Austin photo a few posts up is 2010.  It doesn't matter to me which skyline is better.  I just want to make sure the comparisons are up to date.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, The ATX said:

I am not going to get into this  debate, but I'll just say Wikipedia is not up to date for Austin and that Austin photo in the previous post is around 7 years old and missing , well the last 7 years of the construction boom.  The other Austin photo a few posts up is 2010.  It doesn't matter to me which skyline is better.  I just want to make sure the comparisons are up to date.  :)

I didn’t know if it was up to date or not, I was just pointing out that some of those buildings are farther apart than some angles suggest and that every city has angles that bunch up the buildings.

Atlanta for example with those angles where midtown, downtown, etc overlap and look like a single cluster 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe we are about to see this thing rise (after yearsss of discussion).  I will have the same amount of joy for when I see a crane go up for the Intercontinental as well.  I imagine this intersection having the hustle and bustle (if not more) of Trade & Tryon.  Is the JW Marriot...I mean hotel going to be constructed along the same time frame as to how the Kimpton and 300 went up?

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, go_vertical said:

I think once all of the projects here are complete this intersection will really steal the thunder from Trade and Tryon. It will truly be old Charlotte/new Charlotte.

BOAC alone stomps on every project along this road. 

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

BOAC alone stomps on every project along this road. 

yet, its not great. Sure it has a lot going for it, its the most beautiful building in the southeast, but it treats the street pretty badly. So these buildings, being developed nearly 3 decades later (:-o) have a greater upside as far as the public realm goes. Assuming that these developers get it right. I've learned DEC #2 is coming this fall so that could be another 600' tower to add to the mix. 

Edited by Guest