Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

36 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Steel is really rising above street level now.  Today.  

For those triggered by the sight of Legacy 1 be warned it is featured in the photos too. 

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4779.JPG

IMG_4781.JPG

you can post from this angle. Legacy Union is tolerable from straight on, until it gets its tiny dunce cap at least.

23 hours ago, Spartan said:

Can someone help me understand why this building is so amazing? The tower looks an awful lot like 1BAC, which is to say a slightly above average compared to typical modernist blandness. The base is just a small glass box.  The height is nice in that part of town, and having a plaza there will be nice if they get the design right (but that's old news). I sincerely hope its more than the impossible lighting scenario that the rendering depicts.

Because it looks nothing like Legacy Union?

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone care to share their opinion about whether or not this JW Marriot will make it more or less likely that a Convention Center Sized Hotel will be developed?  Seems like they'd be competing.

It's less than 400 rooms, so this won't really put a dent in that "need." I see this more like the Ritz -- a luxury hotel for corporate entities to use for their employees or guests. It's close to the CC, but it's small amount of rooms will mean that they will be gobbled up quickly. 

Anyone care to share their opinion about whether or not this JW Marriot will make it more or less likely that a Convention Center Sized Hotel will be developed?  Seems like they'd be competing.

I can absolutely assure you it does not change a thing. I’ve heard something potentially Superb was on the table in 2017, and that it was halted by HB2, and the city feels its in their best interest to get a convention sized hotel sooner than later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Westin already has 700 rooms. Couldn't we just build 300 rooms onto it to make it our 1000 room convention hotel?

How in the world do you suggest doing that??

That’s not how any of this works.

67d16ae8822005e5d6c8336fbe164a9e.jpg&key=17e9fb3d2959edbe0d6aa4526a8c06bfdce04476f9fe4042e03eb116dfeb3fec
There is space here for the Westin to expand. Didn’t think it was possible. That was just a suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then you would eliminate the views of everyone paying top dollar in the office building. Not to mention build a hotel where literally nobody had views.

Plus, why wouldn’t you want a 1000 room hotel IN ADDITION to the Westin. The entire point is that Charlotte doesn’t not have enough rooms to lure big events.

2 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Then you would eliminate the views of everyone paying top dollar in the office building. Not to mention build a hotel where literally nobody had views.

Plus, why wouldn’t you want a 1000 room hotel IN ADDITION to the Westin. The entire point is that Charlotte doesn’t not have enough rooms to lure big events.

Don't get me wrong I still want to see a 1000 room hotel and the city will need it eventually. I was thinking with the Westin not far from 1000 that maybe it could be expanded.

I hadn't heard it suggested before and was thinking outside the box. LOL

• Like 3

The Westin was supposed to be about 4 stores taller, and I assume 900+ rooms.  It was actually shortened mid construction,  due to the fall-off in travel demand during the dot -com recession and 9/11 that both occurred after it broke ground.
You can visually see the change, as the notches on the on each end were supposed to be dead center vertically, but now skew a bit higher than midpoint when the project got shortened.

Yes, that is true. Not exactly reversible though. 1000 room hotel is in the works.

22 hours ago, NCMike1990 said:

67d16ae8822005e5d6c8336fbe164a9e.jpg
There is space here for the Westin to expand. Didn’t think it was possible. That was just a suggestion.

I like this idea, and I think it has merit. I do agree that this particular parking/motorcourt area might not be the best spot for it, but another tower could fit on that site. Blocking the view of the existing tower isn't that big of a deal, considering the Portman tower did it.  I feel like they could design a tower with some BS modern design and it would fit in pretty well.

They could fit another tower on the back corner as follows. The blue is the footprint for the existing tower, and the orange is where they could cram in another one.

789125080_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_29_34PM.thumb.png.0f7f3ec73bb641cb93af386dc8fa3a25.png

Edited by Spartan
added image
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I like this idea, and I think it has merit. I do agree that this particular parking/motorcourt area might not be the best spot for it, but another tower could fit on that site. Blocking the view of the existing tower isn't that big of a deal, considering the Portman tower did it.  I feel like they could design a tower with some BS modern design and it would fit in pretty well.

They could fit another tower on the back corner as follows. The blue is the footprint for the existing tower, and the orange is where they could cram in another one.

I was thinking about how The Westin isn't far from 1000 rooms and thought maybe it could be expanded in some way by 300 rooms, which seemed logical to me. By doing this, it would save the other possible 1000 room hotel site for something else to be developed.

I wasn't sure if it was possible, but I wanted to put the idea out there. Also, I had been curious as to why The Westin wasn't built a 1000 room hotel, and then atlrvr explained that it was shortened during construction because of the effects of the 2001 recession and 9/11.

• Like 3

some BS modern design

789125080_ScreenShot2018-11-03at6_29_34PM.thumb.png.0f7f3ec73bb641cb93af386dc8fa3a25.png

You should get used to “BS Modern Design” because the architecture you are going to be looking for isn’t going to happen in Charlotte unless it’s done with crappy materials.

On 11/3/2018 at 11:09 AM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I can absolutely assure you it does not change a thing. I’ve heard something potentially Superb was on the table in 2017, and that it was halted by HB2, and the city feels its in their best interest to get a convention sized hotel sooner than later.

This would be a great opportunity for a long awaited full service Hyatt.  A Hyatt Regency or (less likely) Grand Hyatt would be both be good fit for a convention hotel.  

I could also see an Uptown Renaissance, but would definitely prefer a Hyatt to fill the brand gap.

A W Hotel could be a dark horse option, but I'm not sure if there are currently any W Hotels with convention centers attached.

@RDF: I seem to recall that you mentioned a year or more ago that the Hilton was built with an expansion option?  Is that still possible?  I know that would not resolve the overall room count, but, as I recall, conventions (and the super bowl) want a single 1k room hotel for hosting.  The lack of rooms could then be filled in with multiple 300-400 room hotels (JW Marriott, possible Kimpton at Spectrum site, Beacon SE, and others).

13 minutes ago, pgsinger said:

@RDF: I seem to recall that you mentioned a year or more ago that the Hilton was built with an expansion option?  Is that still possible?  I know that would not resolve the overall room count, but, as I recall, conventions (and the super bowl) want a single 1k room hotel for hosting.  The lack of rooms could then be filled in with multiple 300-400 room hotels (JW Marriott, possible Kimpton at Spectrum site, Beacon SE, and others).

Hilton can be expanded here, but I don't think it would be. I think there needs to be a brand spanking new, 1000 room hotel that is of modern format, not an expansion of a 1988 built property.

image.thumb.png.74395d120b944bdad1fab377507a866e.png

2 minutes ago, JorgiPorgi said:

Why do peoole keep mentioning expanding these hotels? Let’s just build a new one that actually has 1000 rooms. Would be a great addition. 

I agree with you.  I'm just nervous about the amount of public funding that'll be required/requested.  Hopefully it's reasonable...

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I agree with you.  I'm just nervous about the amount of public funding that'll be required/requested.  Hopefully it's reasonable...

$100M is the pricetag, basically. But it will come with upgraded convention center assets as well.

Edited by Guest