Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

One thing I would like to add, is that yes, on the surface I am pro Convention Hotel, but I'd also like to call attention to something. I don't know that the Charlotte Convention Center is in the league of convention centers that deserve a Convention Hotel. I present to you Indiana Convention Center, the yellow space, is how big Charlotte convention center is in comparison.  I think Charlotte needs 1000 room hotel, to compete for more than just conventions. I also think we have a woefully inadequate convention center.

image.thumb.png.cbaced2276e08307904a72f63c8a63ec.png

Edited by Guest

have been to a couple of Indy and Denver conventions and the space dwarfs Charlotte's.  Even if you have the big bed hotel, you may not get the conventions based on the space in CLT's convention center unfortunately...  but it would still help the city for some conventions and in general.

28 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

So I know a guy, and I have it on good authority that this is the approximate height, position in the skyline, and design of the 1,000 foot room hotel:

2144730654_hotel1000.png.5805fbf1022756c1d860c8e6b72e7cac.png

At this rate we'll have to start stretching the skyline down to Scaleybark to make it symmetrical :rolleyes:

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

One thing I would like to add, is that yes, on the surface I am pro Convention Hotel, but I'd also like to call attention to something. I don't know that the Charlotte Convention Center is in the league of convention centers that deserve a Convention Hotel. I present to you Indiana Convention Center, the yellow space, is how big Charlotte convention center is in comparison.  I think Charlotte needs 1000 room hotel, to compete for more than just conventions. I also think we have a woefully inadequate convention center.

image.thumb.png.cbaced2276e08307904a72f63c8a63ec.png

Indy is also building a new 1,000 room convention hotel.  

I think that Charlotte's convention center should be razed and rebuilt outside of 277.  I'd like to see a park/plaza in the middle of the existing site (like Madison Square or Union Square) with office buildings and residential buildings surrounding it.   I think a great site for a new center would be where all of those horrible housing projects are on Remount Rd. with the main entrance on S. Tryon St.  The residents there could be relocated to somewhere nicer.  It would be a win-win for everyone.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I think that Charlotte's convention center should be razed and rebuilt outside of 277.  I'd like to see a park/plaza in the middle of the existing site (like Madison Square or Union Square) with office buildings and residential buildings surrounding it.   I think a great site for a new center would be where all of those horrible housing projects are on Remount Rd. with the main entrance on S. Tryon St.  The residents there could be relocated to somewhere nicer.  It would be a win-win for everyone.

The Indy convention center hotel is just a proposal as is the one in Charlotte. 

There is more than enough room inside of 277 for a larger convention center to be built, notably Third Ward. There’s no reason to take it out of Uptown. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

LOL. Your solution is basically, "hey, just move those black people out of there. They'll figure it out.  As long as we get something shiny and new, who cares?"  You really think all those people would be "relocated to somewhere nicer"? You're cute. The sad part is, most people in the city think the same way you do. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, 1020AM said:

LOL. Your solution is basically, "hey, just move those black people out of there. They'll figure it out.  As long as we get something shiny and new, who cares?"  You really think all those people would be "relocated to somewhere nicer"? You're cute. The sad part is, most people in the city think the same way you do. 

Why did you need to immediately have to make it about race? How about discussing this in a civilized manner about where the people living here would go and how the logistics would play out instead of being aggressive and insulting?

Have you seen these properties? They need to be razed either way in favor of something more modern and definitely higher density for the area. It's in a great location across from Southside park and easy walking distance to light rail.

@SydneyCarton I don't think it'd be smart to move it so far away from uptown and it should also be within one block of the light rail (preferably on it) for desireability as a destination.

Edited by Nick2

17 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Why did you need to immediately have to make it about race? How about discussing this in a civilized manner about where the people living here would go and how the logistics would play out instead of being aggressive and insulting?

Have you seen these properties? They need to be razed either way in favor of something more modern and definitely higher density for the area. It's in a great location across from Southside park and easy walking distance to light rail.

@SydneyCarton I don't think it'd be smart to move it so far away from uptown and it should also be within one block of the light rail (preferably on it) for desireability as a destination.

A new location on the periphery of Uptown would be great.  My initial thought though is that where it is now has become such a prime location that could be better utilized for other purposes.

P.S.: 1020am, no one (not even animals) should live in that housing development.  It's terrible.

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A new location on the periphery of Uptown would be great.  My initial thought though is that where it is now has become such a prime location that could be better utilized for other purposes.

P.S.: 1020am, no one (not even animals) should live in that housing development.  It's terrible.

Levineland would be an excellent spot.

Don't like the idea of a convention center outside of 277...also dont see it going anywhere anytime soon with the scheduled $110mm renovation happening soon.   No particular order, but I would want the 1000 roomer on the data center site (seems most logical), lot next to nhof, part of DEC2, or lot next to CTC. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

The Indy convention center hotel is just a proposal as is the one in Charlotte. 

There is more than enough room inside of 277 for a larger convention center to be built, notably Third Ward. There’s no reason to take it out of Uptown. 

Indy’s is more than a proposal. Huge events are already lining up ...

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-planner-new-developments

28 minutes ago, Dale said:

Indy’s is more than a proposal. Huge events are already lining up ...

https://www.visitindy.com/indianapolis-planner-new-developments

This doesn’t say anything about a 1,000 room hotel, just that an additional 1,000+ rooms are planned for the city. 

It does say that a 800 room Hilton is coming, meaning that Indianapolis, a smaller metro than Charlotte, will have two hotels larger than Charlotte’s largest. 

Edited by TheOneRJ

22 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

This doesn’t say anything about a 1,000 room hotel, just that an additional 1,000+ rooms are planned for the city. 

It does say that a 800 room Hilton is coming, meaning that Indianapolis, a smaller metro than Charlotte, will have two hotels larger than Charlotte’s largest. 

Two towers, one 38 stories, killer designs, 1,400 rooms, expected to break ground in months time, completion 2022.

On 11/4/2018 at 12:50 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You should get used to “BS Modern Design” because the architecture you are going to be looking for isn’t going to happen in Charlotte unless it’s done with crappy materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comment. Good talk.

Could the convention center expand into the duke data center lot once that goes away? 

Yes, but not the part that matters, the contiguous exhibition space, which is subterranean and hemmed in with a massive loading dock. That’s basically at capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comment. Good talk.

I mean... your comment was about as unnecessary as mine.

Haha, if you chose to selectively read just the part where I said "BS modern design" then I can see where you'd think that!

I meant that particular portion, the rest of the comment had merit. I just think as far as modernist designs go in the city, the two on that block are two of the better in Charlotte, and if a third tower was built there, I’d hope it’d be nice. Though, matchy matchy is one of my least favorite things.

7 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Yes, two different towers, two different flags by Hilton, two different hotels. Not a 1,000 room hotel (singular). 

I don't know anything about a 1,000 room hotel, in one building, planned for Indy. This one is probably the one somebody had in mind.