Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

14 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I meant that particular portion, the rest of the comment had merit. I just think as far as modernist designs go in the city, the two on that block are two of the better in Charlotte, and if a third tower was built there, I’d hope it’d be nice. Though, matchy matchy is one of my least favorite things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Someday we will have to have a debate about modernism, but my dislike of it is rooted in the planning and architectural theory behind it along with the execution of both.  The #1 core concept of modernist theory is rejecting context and precedent is the bane of my existence (yes, that's intentional hyperbole). More often than not, modernism creates harsh, unattractive places where people generally don't want to hang out unless they have to, even if the buildings in and of themselves are attractive. Fortunately most of the worst of it from past has been, or is being, torn down (see Pruitt-Igoe, Cabrini-Green, etc. along with local stuff like the old First Ward, Double Oaks, fmr CMS building and former pedestrian bridge to  old City Hall, etc). Modern/contemporary construction methods make it less practical and less cost effective to build actual traditional buildings. I get it. But it's unfortunate too, because I think that in the long run/big picture view, we aren't adding the intangible qualities to the city that we desperately need (ie: making urban places that are "sticky"). I am fortunate to have traveled quite a bit, and I have yet to experience a city or place within it that is all modern/contemporary buildings that has a sticky quality with good pedestrian activity where people actually want to be. I'm not suggesting it can't happen, but I would love to see good examples if they exist... Especially if they are in a Western country.

Anyway, the Westin/Portman combo is ok... and I give it credit for being unique architecture. The street level is garbage on the Westin though. Portman... meh, not bad. The irony here is that if the Westin would build a tower in their motorcourt area, it would be a great opportunity to remake that entrance to the hotel and activate that block of College.

Also, if I didn't make it clear before, the JW Marriott appears to have a good, active ground floor so in terms of how it impacts the built environment, it will be a winner. Potentially one of the better sites in uptown in recent memory assuming that plaza pans out the way they describe.

• Like 2

Quick question about a discrepancy I noticed. 

JLL lists 810k square feet total property size.

The fact sheet PDF on the Ally Charlotte center website lists 742k of office, 30k ground level retail, and 20k public plaza. 

Wikipedia also lists it at 742k sq ft of floor space (guessing they're counting just office there). 

Is JLL off on it's numbers or did this grow by a floor or two (floor plate size is 29,680 sq ft)? Or maybe they just included square footage that the other sources don't?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Quick question about a discrepancy I noticed. 

JLL lists 810k square feet total property size.

The fact sheet PDF on the Ally Charlotte center website lists 742k of office, 30k ground level retail, and 20k public plaza. 

Wikipedia also lists it at 742k sq ft of floor space (guessing they're counting just office there). 

Is JLL off on it's numbers or did this grow by a floor or two (floor plate size is 29,680 sq ft)? Or maybe they just included square footage that the other sources don't?

I noticed that too and I have asked others and no one can give me a straight answer.  It means 84/85% preleased still. 

• Like 1

Pictures don’t do justice just how massive these steel beams really are in person. You’d think they were for a tower three times as tall.

Wish it was a little bit taller, but Crescent told me if you wanted to make it taller, it’d have to be at least 10-15 floors taller, because the need to add more structural support, more elevators, and then justify it with rent costs. That’s why people are mostly building around this height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk