Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

9 minutes ago, BullDurhamer said:

i love what they've done with this box of a building.  sleek, modern, and not random geometry to distract, like the out of place rectangles that plague architecture of recent times (springhill smh).

this one will stand the test of time and look great balanced against the big towers. 

I agree completely, except the Springhill just built according to the shape of the parcel. Now the mid-rises around town have all those random geometries are ubiquitous like you say...

Will we be able to see this from inside BofA Stadium or will Legacy block it out completely? 

The current phase of Legacy shouldn’t block it much. It’s set back pretty far from stonewall and makes it all the way to Hill St. phase 2 will be a half dozen floors shorter, so it won’t block. I suspect phase 4 will be residential towers fronting mint, and not sure what phase 3 and 5 will be, maybe more office on Tryon, hotels on either side of church and stonewall. I’d think those future phases have a shot at blocking Tryon place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had figured that Ally Center and the FNB buildings both will be too short/far off to be seen from inside BOA Stadium.

FNB will be very prominent from the bowl, probably not the field though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, BullDurhamer said:

i love what they've done with this box of a building.  sleek, modern, and not random geometry to distract, like the out of place rectangles that plague architecture of recent times (springhill smh).

this one will stand the test of time and look great balanced against the big towers. 

Have to agree about this tower and Springhill.

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

Am I the only one that thinks the date of this buildings completion seems odd. Like will it really take that long?

I believe that this building would Top out in early 2020 (Mar - Apr) if they actually break ground (Jan / Feb) and commence foundation & underground utility work this month.  Typically most grading, underground utilities relocations and foundation work takes 3 to 6 months depending on the type (foundation) and amount (relocations) necessary.   Building could be habitable/open for Operations by late 2020 (Oct-Dec) or early 2021.

EGG ON FACE - thought this was the FNB Tower thread.  

Edited by Hushpuppy321
Though was FNB Tower thread

6 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

I believe that this building would Top out in early 2020 (Mar - Apr) if they actually break ground (Jan / Feb) and commence foundation & underground utility work this month.  Typically most grading, underground utilities relocations and foundation work takes 3 to 6 months depending on the type (foundation) and amount (relocations) necessary.   Building could be habitable/open for Operations by late 2020 (Oct-Dec) or early 2021.

EGG ON FACE - thought this was the FNB Tower thread.  

lol!! I was like, this building is like 6 stories high already on the framing. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, j-man said:

Am I the only one that thinks the date of this buildings completion seems odd. Like will it really take that long?

It doesn't have to take that long (Tryon Place Building).   This definitely could top out by late 2nd Quarter/Early 3rd Quarter 2019 but there's tons of interior upfit, facade work, parking Deck, Mechanical, etc to do as well as the Pedestrian Promenade and JW Marriot work to intergrate into the entire project.  I could envision a Late 3rd Quarter (2020) Opening of office portion with a Late 4th Quarter 2020 to early 1st Quarter 2021 Opening of the Marriot hotel.  Still lots that needs Construction and coordination on the Ally/Tryon Place site.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

It doesn't have to take that long (Tryon Place Building).   This definitely could top out by late 2nd Quarter/Early 3rd Quarter 2019 but there's tons of interior upfit, facade work, parking Deck, Mechanical, etc to do as well as the Pedestrian Promenade and JW Marriot work to intergrate into the entire project.  I could envision a Late 3rd Quarter (2020) Opening of office portion with a Late 4th Quarter 2020 to early 1st Quarter 2021 Opening of the Marriot hotel.  Still lots that needs Construction and coordination on the Ally/Tryon Place site.  

I get it. But i just feel they should know these grounds well enough since this was firs proposed in 2007, and its only one structure and a parking garage minus the hotel.... so 2018 - 2021 seems so long to me, but hey. 

• Like 1

At my age, this is what I picture in my mind as skyscraper construction:  high steel. Lots of ways to build, I think Toz posted a Japanese wooden multistory building, but I was fascinated when young with the stories of high steel. I read this and would read it again:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Steel-Education-Ironworker/dp/0812904702

• Like 4