Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Then I sincerely hope the transit petition/vote fails to repeal the transit tax. I'd hate for you to leave and miss all the fun. :camera:

True. Let's keep transit alive, so A2 can enjoy the vistas :D . I truly want Charlotte to blossom, but with misled bufoons running the show it is anyones guess how things will turn out. FWIW, I am getting the word out in the corporate community about the shear ignorance of the half cent tax repeal. Everyone that I have come in contact with has told me they agree with the stupidity behind it. THIS IS GOOD NEWS! People in corporate and smart politicians KNOW that to repeal the transit tax would put a death nail in a lot of Charlotte development and its success overall as a city.

A2

Edited by A2

Now that is an interesting idea. One which I think has some merit. Charlotte is overdue for a Fortune 500 relocation. One thing makes me wonder though...would Trump know something like that in advance? I doubt it...then again...what do I know?

I'm just throwing this out there as pure speculation, but Trump owns a few office towers in NYC, one of which is substantially filled by American Express. It wouldn't be out-of-line for them to say "Hey, Charlotte has a lot of talent and lower cost of business, we are thinking of moving a business line there, have you scouted out the market down there at all?"

Of course, I'm just typing as I brainstorm here, but I'm still trying to justify the demand for a project like this.

EDIT** Also, AMEX has it's European offices in London, AMEX offers an affinity BMI card, BMI is rumored to be starting Charlotte service.....I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'm convinced there is something "extra" behind this Trump interst than just Charlotte being a growing city. Atlanta, Dallas, Phoenix, Houston, Seattle, and LA are all MUCH larger growing at roughly the same pace and have much more international attention.

I'm beginning to think there may be something else at work here driving a project of this scale. In my opinion Vue and TTT were picking up the demand for a luxury high-rise project, and Wachovia will be building a tower to satisfy the demand of their new IB employees. Where are the extra ultra-high paying jobs ($250k+/year) in downtown coming from? I have a feeling that there may be a corporate relocation, or major expansion into Charlotte, brewing, and perhaps the office component of this project will be the answer to that question.

Would Donald have access to this sort of news? (not saying he doesn't, just wondering if he would be in these kind of loops)

I am concerned that this could cut both ways. I can see how Turmp's cachet and marketing machine will make the uptown market much more visible and attractive, but I can also see a case where this rumor could scare off a bunch of less well financed high-rise developers (The vue?). I am admitedly out of my area here, I hope I am wrong.

Everyone (and its not that many) have also said that they think pulling the transit tax is a bad idea, although I almost wish that they would add the tax into realestate tax rather then sales tax, it always makes me feel bad when I buy stuff. Also this is slightly off topic, but I have only lived here for less then a year, and here they put taxes on everything.... what exactly is the government doing with it? MoCo in Maryland outside of DC is bigger then Charlotte, did not have tax on food or anything like that and they had much better education/transit... I guess its a different situation, but the government here is all screwed up. We need to start over or something?

Just to ask, does anyone out there know the time table of this future development, IF it were to happen??? I still have fears of a general slow down in the overall economy (not just housing) and could see that being a real head wind to pulling something like this off.

I also concur with atlrvr. This is a LOT of space, and would need demand to justify it. Since the banks are doing their own thing, it seems unlikely that any local company would have interest. I have to believe something is brewing outside of CLT to conjur up such a project. I think a smaller spec tower + hotel/condos would work, even without a tenant, but Trump does not do things half ass, so my assumption is that something is cooking, since the overall development is on a MUCH larger scale.

A2

Edited by A2

MoCo in Maryland outside of DC is bigger then Charlotte, did not have tax on food or anything like that and they had much better education/transit... I guess its a different situation, but the government here is all screwed up. We need to start over or something?

^^^It might not have had those specific taxes, but the overall cost of living and property taxes are two fold that of Charlotte. In all honesty a dippy little half cent sales tax is not worth the debate. Charlotte is VERY affordable. Just ask any that have moved here from up North. This idea of Gov't waste will always be around, but the hard facts are that without a revenue stream CATS would have dire consequences. No operating budget would strangle the whole system, and not just the Light Rail. I am not going to go into a tax debate as this is not the thread for it, but just know that many would kill to have the cost of living, mild weather, and great businss climate that Charlotte offers.

Trump sure seems to think so :)

A2

Edited by A2

wow, this is exciting news. My head is spinning from the 300 S tryon news and now this tidbit about Trump being confirmed is just too cool. I drove by the Trump condos being built down in Ft. Lauderdale area last year, and i have to admit it was sort of exciting just seeing that name "Trump" up on signs at the site. Adds a true international sophisticate feel to things. We'll see how this pans out for Charlotte!

I can imagine the PR spin now...McMayor, Center City Partners and the rest of the Uptown crowd are going to go into orgasmic boosterish overdrive if this comes to fruition. I am sure they will bend over backward to give Trump whatever he wants. Spirit Square almost got shafted. The city will probably pave over our future park if Trump wants it :rolleyes:

I can imagine the PR spin now...McMayor, Center City Partners and the rest of the Uptown crowd are going to go into orgasmic boosterish overdrive if this comes to fruition. I am sure they will bend over backward to give Trump whatever he wants. Spirit Square almost got shafted. The city will probably pave over our future park if Trump wants it :rolleyes:

Hey what wrong with being orgasmic? :lol:

A2

Damn NVQ, again with those riddles! :lol:

I have to admit you are one of the craftiest posters I have ever seen. Keep it coming. Great info and very entertaining! :)

A2

Designers & land planners have painted 3 so far, while the man that is a main prop, has a solid base behind him. This is how he rolls. Find a base, place his name on the sign, get others to build. The image guys are ready..

NVQ - just back from vacation and saw your riddle!! Excellent skills my man, just excellent. I must ask, however, the reference to retainer was not completely figured out, but I think I got it. No one wants to be on the non-retainer side of BD!! Hope I am right...

That's what I derived from the riddle. You'll only want to be in the offices of James, McElroy and Diehl if you have retained their services (rather than vice-versa).

Query: Who wins the hair wars, Trump or Diehl? :dontknow:

btw-first post, stumbled across this forum today while following the Trump rumor trail. Glad I found the forum. Inside information, insightful posts. My kind of place. A bit of background, M, 33, Charlotte native (born at Memorial Hospital).

'09

Edited by 28209

That's what I derived from the riddle. You'll only want to be in the offices of James, McElroy and Diehl if you have retained their services (rather than vice-versa).

Query: Who wins the hair wars, Trump or Diehl? :dontknow:

btw-first post, stumbled across this forum today while following the Trump rumor trail. Glad I found the forum. Inside information, insightful posts. My kind of place. A bit of background, M, 33, Charlotte native (born at Memorial Hospital).

'09

Welcome to UP 28209. Glad you could stumble into the site.

A2

2 towers, unlike the ATL dual towers. The first being 35 on top of a base of 5 and the 2nd being 80+???? Side by side is the only way it will work, as a site nearby may be historic, unknown to many and no one can convert. That is if no one else will play.

The bldg occupied by James, McElroy and Diehl (the "QSM" building--corner of S. College and Stonewall, bounded in the rear by Hill St.) was granted historic property status in '03.

'09

ok upon further looking at this, this isnt exactly the best site in Charlotte, right across the street from the observer, and also right next to the freeway, were all of downtown seems to cease to parkinglots and cheap stuff, an 80 story building would be better closer in, and I know it will be right next to the wachovia developement but still, I think it could be a better parcel if they cared

The bldg occupied by James, McElroy and Diehl (the "QSM" building--corner of S. College and Stonewall, bounded in the rear by Hill St.) was granted historic property status in '03.

'09

I had my Wisdom teeth pulled by Dr. Kirk in that building and had no idea it was historic. Low and behold it was built in 1902.

I2150314.JPG

Will be interesting to see how they work around that building.