Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Just now, AirNostrumMAD said:

So do we have any idea if Crescent goes forward with an alternative plan or delayed until they get the rest of the property?

Will not delay anything. They do not need that property until Hotel and parking deck begin construction. Parking deck is not structurally necessary to Tryon Place, and will take much less time to build than a 36 floor building. 

37 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Will not delay anything. They do not need that property until Hotel and parking deck begin construction. Parking deck is not structurally necessary to Tryon Place, and will take much less time to build than a 36 floor building. 

So Tryon Place will definitely be 36 floors now? (The worst kept secret in Charlotte)

Just now, HopHead said:

So Tryon Place will definitely be 36 floors now? (The worst kept secret in Charlotte)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Allegedly. I tell ya, I can think of a couple dozen people (all on this board) that'll be pissed if its not. 

• 3 weeks later...

Don't ask me why they did, but supposedly, through the grapevine, American was looking at vacant and new build offices in CLT couple months back. Now, I don't know if this is true or not but it's certainly interesting to think if AA had leased Tryon Place. 

Back to Duke Energy, it seems that with their continued coal ash and solar issues, does it really make sense to lease a brand new office building when their existing building would probably undercut the lease price by a wide-margin?

^ Why would American Airlines need a large amount of office space here in Charlotte? They are very consolidated in Fort Worth and are building an expanded headquarters campus there. AA's employment in CLT is very much about the hub, not back office or admin work away from the airport. They don't need offices away from the airport unless it was call center operations which doesn't make sense in a building like Tryon Place. 

Edited by CLT2014

I can't mention the specifics, mainly because there's not many to mention, but AA was looking at all options for offices around CLT (there was job posting for Office development for CLT, it was posted in the Airport thread) in the airport, Uptown, University etc. Eventually, as far as I know, AA pulled the plug on office expansion here. 

Yeah I don't see a shot in hell AA has, or had, any interest in office space uptown. Not really their MO to have downtown corporate offices. Especially at a premium that Tryon Place would bring. Their HQ is a corporate campus, no way they'd bring in the cost of high rise office. 

Look to Duke to be an infinitely more likely candidate 

Edited by Jayvee

^Yea, no offense to anyone else, but if I don't see anything from RDF or Jayvee, I don't get too excited about a post in this thread. 

Regarding, AA, that just doesn't make any sense to me. If anything was added locally for whatever reason I would think something inside 277 would be one of the last locations they would go. I know Duke was mentioned to be a prospective Tryon Place tenant before because they may be looking to exit some of their older space (not the DEC).

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

^ Why would American Airlines need a large amount of office space here in Charlotte? They are very consolidated in Fort Worth and are building an expanded headquarters campus there. AA's employment in CLT is very much about the hub, not back office or admin work away from the airport. They don't need offices away from the airport unless it was call center operations which doesn't make sense in a building like Tryon Place. 

I'm not sure if they still do-but I know AA use to have an office building in Coral Gables, FL. I'm not sure what its purpose was though.

46 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I'm not sure if they still do-but I know AA use to have an office building in Coral Gables, FL. I'm not sure what its purpose was though.

It is a ticket sales office. AA has a ground floor suite that is just a small portion of the building in Coral Gables (with naming rights). They still have ticket sales office in Miami and New York where their are many international and immigrant customers that may not buy tickets online. Also, they can use those offices for group international sales. Charlotte wouldn't need a ticket sales office and it wouldn't fill much more than a floor of a skyscraper.

You know what?!! I give up posting here! It all just seems like you worship RDF or Jayvee. And whenever anyone else posts something, you all think it's never true because RDF or Jayvee hasn't posted it. I work for American, okay? I think I'm more in know than a majority of you. 

I see why people left urbanplanet and I'm going to be one of them. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Deleted. said:

You know what?!! I give up posting here! It all just seems like you worship RDF or Jayvee. And whenever anyone else posts something, you all think it's never true because RDF or Jayvee hasn't posted it. I work for American, okay? I think I'm more in know than a majority of you. 

I am not sure who you are since the account was now deleted, but skepticism can be a good thing at times. When I had brought information into this forum years ago it would be met with skepticism as well. It is hard to get rid of the skepticism, especially when you can't always bring in proof due to the sensitivity of projects.

I would advise people to please respect everyone's posts. Publicly announcing that reading a post isn't exciting if it's not posts from specific people. isn't good. We all post here, and we post to not only share information, but to converse with one another and share ideas.

As far as if AA really looked for space in Tryon Place I certainly don't know. sure it seems way out of the ordinary for them, but we don't know the reasons why they might have even considered it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Deleted. said:

It was Piedmont who deleted, and meh........

That said, I think plenty of people on here contribute a ton of valuable information. Way beyond just me and RDF. Plenty of other people on here that deserve credit :)

I don't mind seeing threads light up, it's just annoying when its an "any update" post or something. We will definitely post as soon as news is available. 

Back on topic to the Tryon Place front. It seems like the writing is on the wall in terms of Crescent playing the "delay" card to better prepare for the market. I do NOT want to get into a HB2 conversation on here, but it has hurt projects throughout town, including this one. However Crescent seems to be thinking "all will work itself out" and when this project is completed (now looking to be in 2019/2020) the delay will have allowed Crescent to deliver top notch product when the economy will be be in a different place (I think 2017 and 2018 are going to be rough for the country) and when the political climate of NC is better.

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 3