Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

Those towers would be fine in Charlotte as long as there isn't a big TRUMP sign on it like some of his other endeavors and if the base is designed well.

Exactly! Couldn't have expressed my thoughts any better.

There should also be an observation deck. Maybe he will add this feature that is sorely missing from Charlotte's towers.

That would be fantastic. I was up on the 60th floor of BofA last night, never been up there, and was amazed at the view. We made it for the sunset, phenominal.

Edited by Charlotte_native

Exactly! Couldn't have expressed my thoughts any better.

That would be fantastic. I was up on the 60th floor of BofA last night, never been up there, and was amazed at the view. We made it for the sunset, phenominal.

How did you get up there?

Well, I personally feel that this tower may have some truth to it because so many of our truly reliable sources are backing its truth. An observation deck will definitely be cool, maybe with a spinning restaurant like the one in the Space Needle.

How did you get up there?

An observation deck will definitely be cool, maybe with a spinning restaurant like the one in the Space Needle.

We were at an HRC event that was at BofA last night. Funny part up there, you can look down into the top of the Wachovia jukebox. I don't work for a bank so its fun to see the little things that might be part of the power contest.

Have you been in the revolving restaurant on top of the needle in Toronto? It is unbelievable. The views up there are bizarre, you are looking down onto the roofs of 50 and 60 story buildings and are twice as high -- pretty scary actually but I loved it.

IMO I feel that whatever Trump does, mix use or strictly office, that the building be in Art Decco form. That is the one tower that Charlotte is missing. Every tall building is an International style or New Age. Charlotte needs something that reflects something of the past but at the same time very modern. IMO Art Decco towers are very beautiful and eye appealing.

While I would LOVE for this rumor to be true, I can't see him building here right now. Is the market really here for an enormous spec tower?

Yes. Charlotte has the LOWEST vacancy of Class A Office space in the US. It is actually somewhat unhealthy to not have 8-10% of readily available space at any given point in time. This prevents large firms from relocating or expanding in a desirable market. This can also lead to suburban office parks that continue to sprawl out further and further from the Center of the city (ie Ballantyne). Any additional space IMO would be viewed as a great thing.

A2

If he does decide to build in Charlotte I highly doubt it will be Trump International - I mean look at the cities that have those towers: NY, Chicago, Toronto, and New Orleans. Charlotte really isn't anywhere near the status of any of those cities. I would imagine Boston, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, etc. would all be considered before Charlotte.

I have to disagree. Charlotte is a MAJOR growth market and considering its powerful ties to Banking and Finance it is all the more reason to build. Charlotte is a MAJOR hub of Fortune 500 firms, as well as the Nation's 6th largest Distribution center. This all comes with great weather (4 mild seasons) and an office and condo market that are not suffering like the above listed cities you mentioned.

Status means nothing, making money does. If I were a Big developer I am skipping by cities like San Diego and Miami which are overbuilt and overpriced and instead focusing on markets on the upswing to make larger profits. Charlotte is a lot more of a player than I think many like to recognize. Sure it is no Chicago, NYC, or Toronto, but it can hold its own to many cities around the country.

A2

Edited by A2

We were at an HRC event that was at BofA last night. Funny part up there, you can look down into the top of the Wachovia jukebox. I don't work for a bank so its fun to see the little things that might be part of the power contest.

Have you been in the revolving restaurant on top of the needle in Toronto? It is unbelievable. The views up there are bizarre, you are looking down onto the roofs of 50 and 60 story buildings and are twice as high -- pretty scary actually but I loved it.

That's cool. Yeah, I've been to the CN Tower, but didn't eat at the restaurant. Is the restaurant in the even higher portion or in the main portion with the main observation deck?

Yes. Charlotte has the LOWEST vacancy of Class A Office space in the US. It is actually somewhat unhealthy to not have 8-10% of readily available space at any given point in time. This prevents large firms from relocating or expanding in a desirable market. This can also lead to suburban office parks that continue to sprawl out further and further from the Center of the city (ie Ballantyne). Any additional space IMO would be viewed as a great thing.

A2

I was under the impression that we were talking about a residential tower here?

it is in the "lower" (as if any part of that tower is "low"!) part that rotates. at least i think so...its been years.

Cool. I didn't eat there, but I remember the glass floors, and it really creeps you out when you look down and you're 1,000+ feet in the air. Charlotte needs glass floors in its observation deck when/if we ever get one.

And back on the subject of Trump, I think it is a resi tower but maybe it will have mixed uses? I don't know, I think that is the speculation.

I was under the impression that we were talking about a residential tower here?

If we are talking only residential than scratch all that I posted as it is worthless. If I were Trump I would look at a mixed use tower as that would be a perfect fit, but I am not so I will leave it up to him. :P

A2

I suppose the smart money would be on a mixed-use tower, but given Trump's opportunistic and calculating nature he also has the stats in front of him that tell him Charlotte has the lowest Class A vacancy rate in the nation and will therefore see that as an opportunity worth exploiting, and is why I vote office spec.

I suppose the smart money would be on a mixed-use tower, but given Trump's opportunistic and calculating nature he also has the stats in front of him that tell him Charlotte has the lowest Class A vacancy rate in the nation and will therefore see that as an opportunity worth exploiting, and is why I vote office spec.

I concur. If one is looking to make money than office is the way to do it IMO.

A2

If he does decide to build in Charlotte I highly doubt it will be Trump International - I mean look at the cities that have those towers: NY, Chicago, Toronto, and New Orleans. Charlotte really isn't anywhere near the status of any of those cities. I would imagine Boston, Miami, Dallas, San Diego, Seattle, etc. would all be considered before Charlotte.

Mr. Trump has built 2 towers, 1 partially finished, and another one in the planning in North Miami Beach (Sunnyisles), Florida. The real estate prices of anything within a 10 mile radius has skyrocketed. If he decides to build in the Uptown area of Charlotte expect a considerable hike in prices of the entire area! If the rumor is true, heads up for those who would like a piece of the pie.

Yes, but there's too many other high rise Res projects that will be complete before his would, even if he broke ground on something tomorrow. So from that standpoint there would be more risk involved. Additionally, if Trump believes his own presence in a market to be a catalyst for other development then that would be a further hindrance as other developers hurry to build yet more residential towers, which only serves to drive prices down. I think he must see office spec as the best course here simply because of all the res projects ongoing - he would not only be meeting a current demand, but a future one as well as if a greater downtown population will itself cause more office space demand. If Wachovia will be occupying most of it's own office building then Trump has no real competition for creating more office space (at the moment).

We should start a pool, I got $5 I can spare. :D

Welcome to the forum! Don't be afraid to add your own opinion to the mix. :thumbsup:

Thank you krazeeboi. My opinion is that (a) TRUMP is known for ultra luxury residential and high end hotels, as well as high end retail. Charlotte is in need of ALL THREE. Don't be confused with what you see in the mix now and what is coming out the ground currently as far as condos. They are units aimed at the fat, affordable part of the market, not the TRUMP market. Wachovia is bringing 2500 $1MM dollar a year + traders to Charlotte. They aren't going to want mid-level product. The hotel comment is common sense. (b) TRUMP, although not a Class A office developer, would be silly not to take advantage of the 4% vacancy rate in the Center City. Wachovia will bring on square footage, yes, but it is only going to increase the available space by 25% and there are no other spec buildings planned that I know of. This cannot support the current demand.

TRUMP historically increases property values in markets they penetrate by 37%. Buy all that you can if you feel there is any chance of them coming.