Ally Charlotte Center (f/k/a Tryon Place) - 26 floors - 427'

Bled_man

I can't imagine it would have much of an effect at all....the Charlotte market isn't mature enough to be influenced by these kinds of factors......This isn't like Central Park West, where the area was feeling a little worn down, and then Trump invests....he is investing as part of the general overall upswing.

I can't imagine it would have much of an effect at all....the Charlotte market isn't mature enough to be influenced by these kinds of factors......This isn't like Central Park West, where the area was feeling a little worn down, and then Trump invests....he is investing as part of the general overall upswing.

Interesting, but I disagree. Charlotte is extremely patient. Almost too patient. To date all of the development is funded partially by the tax dollar. The fact that Trump may even be looking at Charlotte says a lot for the community leaders and CCP who have built the city into something that is attractive to an international developer who historically does things without public money. When one developer makes this commitment and it is solid, others will follow in droves. Have a nice weekend.

Thank you krazeeboi. My opinion is that (a) TRUMP is known for ultra luxury residential and high end hotels, as well as high end retail. Charlotte is in need of ALL THREE. Don't be confused with what you see in the mix now and what is coming out the ground currently as far as condos. They are units aimed at the fat, affordable part of the market, not the TRUMP market. Wachovia is bringing 2500 $1MM dollar a year + traders to Charlotte. They aren't going to want mid-level product. The hotel comment is common sense. (b) TRUMP, although not a Class A office developer, would be silly not to take advantage of the 4% vacancy rate in the Center City. Wachovia will bring on square footage, yes, but it is only going to increase the available space by 25% and there are no other spec buildings planned that I know of. This cannot support the current demand.

TRUMP historically increases property values in markets they penetrate by 37%. Buy all that you can if you feel there is any chance of them coming.

Thank you for your vote of confidence. My parents property is a miniscule percent of my testimony!

Rejected? OK, I'm swimming here, any clue why? Is this typical, or did he just ask the wrong groups? For everyone, does getting rejected make Trump want to do a CLT project even more? Finally, if he's at the buying land phase, and you just leaked it here then he's going to get screwed as someone buys a 45 square foot sliver of a lot just to make $10 million off of it.

I think the point is to have a thoughtful discussion on urban development and design. I don't think Urban Planet's point is to "out" potential development deals to public, subjecting them to increased scrutiny by competitiors and escalating land-prices by "dirt speculators". The ultimate goal in my opinion, is to give public feedback on specific developments and development practices in general, so that hopefully the end product is one that fits properly in the urban landscape.

Case in point. At one time I had info on what would have been (at the time, not now) insider info on a project for South Park. I considered posting about it and did mention it, but the developer hadn't secured all the land and the city was doing a first review of the proposal. Posting it here publicly would have killed it due to land owners finding out who was assembling land and why. So I stayed mute, the project never happened for other reasons and that was that.

Oh, also my friend at the city asked me not to talk about it...so that was all I really needed to stay quiet.

We also don't have a baseball stadium in South End right now because a paper that shall not be named leaked the story on the potential location. The land costs went through the roof once the owners found out what the project was and it was dead before it started.

I did watch an interview with Donald Trump this past week on CNN. Beyond mentioning that Bush was the worst president int the history of the USA and the Iraq war was a disaster, he did say that he did not plan to run for President himself. The reason he gave was that he was too busy building buildings around the world which he really enjoyed. Maybe he is looking to make a bigger splash in the South and Charlotte would be a logical choice for him I would guess.

I would also guess that he would shake up the local development community who doesn't want an outsider such as Trump coming in and reworking the rules on how things get done in this city. This is an old problem with Charlotte, which shuns this type of thing, but it is one of the prices a city pays when it starts to get noticed outside it's region. A Trump tower may be good for Charlotte if it brings something new to the city beyond the stogy bank buildings and the mundane condo complexes that looks as if they were all designed off the same piece of software by the same engineering firm.

Weird, did Trump "volunteer" that info or was it in response to a direct question of his potential candidacy? At any rate sounds like the typical way to announce your candidacy by declaring you are not running for the presidency...

sleightofhand, I thought it was cool that you would share insider knowledge here, though I fear that it might get you in trouble as info on this site does seem to "get around", unless of course you were "authorized" to do so. At any rate, Trump is a big boy, if he hits a wall due to a hold out over property it is his own fault, surely he knows how to play this game, the fact you know something must have been allowed to happen at some point in the chain (one would think).

I'm pretty sure Donald Trump doesn't have that kind of patience ;)

Unless I'm mistaken, I'm under the impression that the only site under consideration is the Goodyear site and I don't think it's news to them that he is interested in their site.