Hawaiian Airlines to fly nonstop to Sydney

Hawaiian Airlines to fly nonstop to Sydney

Hawaiian Airlines plans to launch nonstop service between Honolulu and Sydney, Australia, in May.

masthead_logo.gif

The airline has filed for goverment approval to fly the 10-hour route four times a week.

"This new service is an economic boost for the state," Hawaiian Airlines President Mark Dunkerley said Thursday with a furry kangaroo toy at his side during a press conference.

The new route is a step toward eventually serving parts of Asia, but Dunkerley added that "there are many hurdles to overcome."

Hawaiian says the new route will bring 34,000 visitors to Hawaii from down under, contributing $42 million in spending to the local economy and generating $3.5 million in tax revenue.

Air Canada and Qantas Airlines fly nonstop between Honolulu and Sydney.

Hawaiian's plans were welcomed by Gov. Linda Lingle, who said that limited competition has led to a decline in the number of Aussie visitors to the islands. Australia sent 92,000 visitors to Hawaii in 2002 compared to 237,000 in 1990.

In December 1990, Hawaiian transferred its Australian route authority to Northwest Airlines, according to Northwest. Hawaiian averages approximately 30 transpacific flights and 100 interisland flights daily.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I can only imagine how long that would take but then again over a million or so fly to Hawaii from the eastcoast every year and thousands from Europe to Africa as well so i guess if they can handle it than its probably not that bad and well worth the trip. :P

Looking at the figures from Australia to Hawaii,such a big drop from 1990 to 2002.At about that time more air routes were opened between Australian cities and Bali,Indonesia.Also Qantas,Air New Zealand and United Airlines now have non stop Pacific services from Melbourne,Sydney,Auckland to Los Angeles and San Francisco.So Hawaii really got bypassed and that explains the big decrease.My view is that Hawaiian Airlines will do well from Australia,providing they can package affordable accommodation. :o

Yeah Pacific flights are doozies,

gotta get up and get the blood moving there is a medical term for it I forget but you can have serious blood flow problems if you take those flights regularly with no atmosphere up there and low gravity.

Archived