Loft, Condo, Flat or Apartment

Black and White

I find it so funny that so many "lofts, condos and flats" are going up in Nashville.

What makes an apartment a loft besides a marketing brochure? As I understand the term, a loft is a former industrial or manufacturing building that was converted to artist studios where artists lived illegally before the yuppies began buying them and driving out the artist. Where does that exist in Nashville? Whertan Mills is the only recent building that qualifies as a loft apartments.

Why isn't a condo simply an apartment? Why isn't a flat an apartment. They are all apartments. Is a two story apartment disqualified from being called a flat?

Isn't there a difference between a condo apartment and freestanding condo developments that share common demising walls?

Of course I know it is all just a marketing method so that apartment dwellers don't have to admit to themselves and anyone else they are trying to impress that they live in a-p-a-r-t-m-e-n-t-s. If there is no shame in living in an apartment why not just admit it?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is how I see it...

1. an apartment is a group of seperate rooms which are rented.

2. a condo has a similar layout to an apartment but is owned by the occupant.

3. a studio is a condo or aptm't with no seperated rooms. i.e., one large room with kitchen, bath, bedroom....etc.

4. a townhome is a 2 level aptm't or condo.

5. a "flat" is just the European or yuppie way to say any of these

...and anyone who says they live in a "loft" is just trying to impress others.

just the way I see it. :P

this is how I see it...

1. an apartment is a group of seperate rooms which are rented.

2. a condo has a similar layout to an apartment but is owned by the occupant.

3. a studio is a condo or aptm't with no seperated rooms. i.e., one large room with kitchen, bath, bedroom....etc.

4. a townhome is a 2 level aptm't or condo.

5. a "flat" is just the European or yuppie way to say any of these

...and anyone who says they live in a "loft" is just trying to impress others.

just the way I see it. :P

Oh my goodness. You are looking way to far into this. A house, rented or not, is always house. A rented unit in a multi-unit building is an apartment. If you buy it, it is a condo. If it has one room, it is a studio apartment/condo - that depends on whether or not you buy it. A loft usually just has high ceilings, open layouts, and a usually industrial feel.

Archived