Retail/Restaurant Wish List

3rdGenHuntsvillian

What stores or restaurants would you like to see added in the Huntsville/Decatur area?

Stores:

World Market

Smith and Hawken

Brooks Brothers

Restoration Hardware? (I liked them 5+ years ago, but not so sure now...)

Fox and Obel http://www.fox-obel.com/index.asp (Never happen, but great foodie store!)

And more cell phone stores!!! (just kidding)

Restaurants:

Melting Pot

Fire of Brazil (or similar)

Dale's Steakhouse (from Florence. The one in Huntsville closed before I was born.)

Doc Greens

Chipotle (for the CRP area)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What stores or restaurants would you like to see added in the Huntsville/Decatur area?

Stores:

World Market

Smith and Hawken

Brooks Brothers

Restoration Hardware? (I liked them 5+ years ago, but not so sure now...)

Fox and Obel http://www.fox-obel.com/index.asp (Never happen, but great foodie store!)

And more cell phone stores!!! (just kidding)

Restaurants:

Melting Pot

Fire of Brazil (or similar)

Dale's Steakhouse (from Florence. The one in Huntsville closed before I was born.)

Doc Greens

Chipotle (for the CRP area)

No specific chains in mind, but here are my wishes for restaurants/bars:

Any good Chinese place, not the garbage, MSG laden buffets that we have dozens of

A good, authentic Mexican place (I like Rosie's, but it is Tex-Mex)

A real Irish pub downtown (I read an Irish pub is coming to Bridge St, that is good)

Apple Store (praying that its still going to be at Bridge Street)

Whole Foods

Sharper Image (same as Apple Store)

Borders

Friendly's (never gonna happen)

Macy's

Bass Pro Shops

Johnny Rockets

Discovery Channel Store (if they're still around)

Urban Outfitters- HSVTiger, you might have read something that I didn't, but I don't think that they're coming to Huntsville yet.

Hard Rock Cafe

Planet Hollywood

I want these stores/restaurants to come to Huntsville just so we can brag about them:

Nordstrom

Cheesecake Factory

Saks Fifth Avenue

I am in total agreement, jmanhsv, about "bragging rights"...could use some big names or more elusive stores to elevate Huntsville's reputation.

As far as your Whole Foods Market wish, that could come true since they bought out Wild Oats TODAY. Wild Oats has obviously scouted Huntsville and is widely rumored to be a Bridge Street tenant (especially after BS took out that big ad in the paper). Maybe this latest development will help HSV score a Whole Foods instead, which I consider to be the premiere or superior "organic" grocer. (All Wild Oats will be rebranded as Whole Foods.)

Think it's Urban Outpost that was supposed to be coming here (or High Country Outfitters) but Urban Outfitters is expanding rapidly too. Let's hope.

Anyone know what kind of tenants to expect at The Heart of Huntsville mall site? Would or could Macys go there?

Any good Chinese place, not the garbage, MSG laden buffets that we have dozens of

A real Irish pub downtown (I read an Irish pub is coming to Bridge St, that is good)

Apple Store (praying that its still going to be at Bridge Street)

Whole Foods

Sharper Image (same as Apple Store)

Borders

Friendly's (never gonna happen)

Macy's

Bass Pro Shops

Johnny Rockets

Discovery Channel Store (if they're still around)

Urban Outfitters- HSVTiger, you might have read something that I didn't, but I don't think that they're coming to Huntsville yet.

Hard Rock Cafe

Planet Hollywood

I want these stores/restaurants to come to Huntsville just so we can brag about them:

Nordstrom

Cheesecake Factory

Saks Fifth Avenue

I don't see Huntsville getting a Hard Rock or Planet Hollywood ever considering that Planet Hollywood has closed the largest majority of their restaurants. I also don't see Hard Rock anywhere in Alabama except possibly in Gulf Shores/Orange Beach years down the road.

If Bass Pro Shops develops a smaller scale store I could see those spring up in a lot of markets. With their large 200,000 to 300,000 sq. ft. super stores (and one in Nashville with another to open in 2008 in Birmingham) I don't see BPS in Huntsville anytime soon. Possibly 5-10 years down the road maybe. There certainly would be a large sporting population in north AL to support them.

Considering the type of stores that Bridge Street is going for, I could see both Apple and Sharper Image locating there. I'm surprised there isn't already a Discovery Channel Store in Madison Square or Parkway Place.

I definitely could see Cheesecake Factory in Huntsville in the next 5-10 years especially at Parkway Place if they add several more signature restaurants.

As for the department stores, Macy's is a good possibility with the recent purchases of McRae's/Parisian by Belk. Belk has two stores at Madison Square and if for some reason they chose not to keep both, I could see Macy's coming in. As I've mentioned before in the Parkway Place thread, I could see Macy's being the long-rumored third anchor there in the future.

Nordstrom and Saks are a different story I think.

Here's your lucky day: I've eaten at PF Chang's about 3 times, and never once was it memorable or exciting or tasty; none of my friends can figure out what the big deal is either.

I don't know that Whole Foods and Trader Joe's consider themselves direct competitors. Along with P.F. Chang's I hold no love at all for Whole Foods; it's just an expensive place to feel good about what you buy. Trader Joe's target is supposedly "people who are overeducated and underpaid;" Whole Food's target is supposedly "women in urban markets who want to feel good about buying organic products." Not to SUPPLY the best, to supply the experience. You're literally paying extra to feel the sensation of exclusivity that comes with paying extra. Big difference, and one not worth paying for in my opinion.

I think PF Changs will do great in BridgeStreet. While the food isn't too authentic, it is still a nice place to go and will be a draw for the Huntsville area.

Is there a PF Changs-like restaurant that specializes in Indian Food? I think that might be good.

For more authentic Indian and Chineese food, I go to Vinneys and Tai Pan Palace. Dinner at Tai Pan Palace is very good and 10 times better than any buffet place in town.

Comments from Mayor Spencer she made on WHNT a few days ago

"Spencer says more than a dozen restaurants opened their doors to the Rocket City last year alone. And it's not about to stop. The city's inspection department has rolls and rolls of plans for new businesses that are ready to build.

"We are surprised on a continuing basis," said Mayor Spencer, "how many are contacting us saying we're looking at different areas."

I agree. I think Huntsville supports restaurants WAY more than it does retail. (I think the relative lack of retail discussion in this thread even illustrates that point)

Unfortunately, I think restaurants look at retail figures to determine where to open a new location. I think that is why cities like Montgomery get stuff well before we do (which drives me crazy!)

• 2 weeks later...
I am in total agreement, jmanhsv, about "bragging rights"...could use some big names or more elusive stores to elevate Huntsville's reputation.

As far as your Whole Foods Market wish, that could come true since they bought out Wild Oats TODAY. Wild Oats has obviously scouted Huntsville and is widely rumored to be a Bridge Street tenant (especially after BS took out that big ad in the paper). Maybe this latest development will help HSV score a Whole Foods instead, which I consider to be the premiere or superior "organic" grocer. (All Wild Oats will be rebranded as Whole Foods.)

Think it's Urban Outpost that was supposed to be coming here (or High Country Outfitters) but Urban Outfitters is expanding rapidly too. Let's hope.

Anyone know what kind of tenants to expect at The Heart of Huntsville mall site? Would or could Macys go there?

Archived