Morrison Ridge Shopping Center

Neo

As an update to this, Aston Properties just submitted a site plan for 720k sq. ft. at this location and it mentions a Target. I have heard that Target would be going in this shopping center but this is the first time I have seen good evidence for it.

This is amazing considering there is a new Super Target in very close proximity at George Lyles and I-85. This is very close proximity when you remember that George Lyles will be extended to Hwy 49 directly in front of this shopping center in a few years.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an update to this, Aston Properties just submitted a site plan for 720k sq. ft. at this location and it mentions a Target. I have heard that Target would be going in this shopping center but this is the first time I have seen good evidence for it.

This is amazing considering there is a new Super Target in very close proximity at George Lyles and I-85. This is very close proximity when you remember that George Lyles will be extended to Hwy 49 directly in front of this shopping center in a few years.

This Target, though close to the one at Afton Ridge (Exit 54 off of 85) is going to pull from Harrisburg, all of Eastern Cabarrus county and possibly far north University City. Im guessing UNCC cant be more then 5 miles or so from this site.

I admit it kinda seems like its in the middle of nothing, but the area will fill in over the next ten years or so. If youve ever been to the other target its interesting to note that Afton Village http://www.aftonvillage.com/ is on the other side of 85 from the SuperTarget site and it is a mixed-use site with a huge YMCA, restaurants, offices and homes and condos. Maybe we will see the same here.

This Target, though close to the one at Afton Ridge (Exit 54 off of 85) is going to pull from Harrisburg, all of Eastern Cabarrus county and possibly far north University City. Im guessing UNCC cant be more then 5 miles or so from this site.

There is already a Target at 49 and Harris. Target is becoming the new Wal-Mart by putting stores at every other intersection it seems.

I agree, University is pretty well served by that centrally located Target. I doubt many people in UC would make the trek through Harrisburg along the tediously slow 49 to get to a different one. On a similar note though, Harrisburg and eastern Concord don't really have a Target close by to go to until Liles is built.

I agree, University is pretty well served by that centrally located Target. I doubt many people in UC would make the trek through Harrisburg along the tediously slow 49 to get to a different one. On a similar note though, Harrisburg and eastern Concord don't really have a Target close by to go to until Liles is built.

Which will likely be built before this Target gets finished. The George Liles extension is part of the LMS improvements (though I believe all that is included to be moved up is the portion from Weddington to 29).

I go to the Harrisburg Peak Fitness all the time and 49 never really has any traffic on it unless it is rush hour (and it really only lasts one hour). Maybe our perception of traffic is different. Remember South Charlotte has 2 Targets on Rea Rd about 5 miles apart so anything is possible. When is the George Liles extension suppose to start construction?

I live right up the road from the proposed site and the traffic on 49 from Harrisburg straight through Rocky River Road intersection at the Armory flies through at 65 mph+. With 4 lanes in each direction and very little traffic, this site will be infinitely easier to get to than the hell that is HWY 49 traffic by Harris.

I live right up the road from the proposed site and the traffic on 49 from Harrisburg straight through Rocky River Road intersection at the Armory flies through at 65 mph+. With 4 lanes in each direction and very little traffic, this site will be infinitely easier to get to than the hell that is HWY 49 traffic by Harris.

I agree, if you live just up the road from this, it will be more convenient. But I am assuming that by saying "University City," we're cutting off the line at 485/Pavilion, beyond that is Cabarrus and Harrisburg (and outside of the lines I am comparing.) By saying you live close to this new site, of course it will be more convenient to you. To say otherwise would be daft.

And, on a side note, there is only traffic in that section of 49 during rush hour. I live two blocks from that section and work at that corner. I usually breeze through there at all hours of the day, except when the Research Park and Uptown traffic hit that section around rush hour or there is something tying up 85.

And to nyxmike, I'm not arguing your point, because it is a matter of opinion, but the Peak Fitness is not that far into Harrisburg from UC. This site is after your drive all the way through Harrisburg city limits into Concord so it is hardly a fair comparison.

And in terms of the tediously slow section I mentioned early, I was referring to the portion of 49 that is 35 mph and contains about six stop lights inside of Harrisburg limits. Unless I'm confused about the location of this Target, you would have to drive through this portion every time you wanted to get to this Target from University City.

I am not arguing the fact that this will be more convenient for people in general, just that it will hardly serve the needs of University residents, agreeing with the point that Neo was making before in response to Skyybutter. I did not intend for this to be a statement that would skew the topic away from the thread.

When is the George Liles extension suppose to start construction?

I have heard as soon as the engineering on the design is complete. I forgot where I heard this, but construction should be imminent. If I had to guess, I doubt we'll see any dirt moving until the second half of 2009 though.

And in terms of the tediously slow section I mentioned early, I was referring to the portion of 49 that is 35 mph and contains about six stop lights inside of Harrisburg limits. Unless I'm confused about the location of this Target, you would have to drive through this portion every time you wanted to get to this Target from University City.

I am not arguing the fact that this will be more convenient for people in general, just that it will hardly serve the needs of University residents, agreeing with the point that Neo was making before in response to Skyybutter. I did not intend for this to be a statement that would skew the topic away from the thread.

You're right on with the traffic through Harrisburg (with the lights). I was thinking about the areas between Harrisburg and Rocky River Road. Frankly, I think if you live in University City, it would be easier to pop on 85 and zip up to exit 54 Super Target than to hit 49.

• 3 years later...

The signs are still up but as stated nothing happening. I dont know why it will be delayed for years to come. The area is growing again and should be able to support it. Strangely enough it is in the middle of nowhere in my opinion. I guess they hope to draw from Harrisburg UNCC area and parts of Concord.

Archived