Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cindyb1969

Schools in Shreveport

3 posts in this topic

I was wondering what ever happened to the 2 schools that chose to become year-round schools back in the early 90's. I think one was Shreve Island, but I can't remember the other one. Are they still year-round? If not, how long did it last? It seemed like a great idea at the time, but I wondered how long it would last.......

I also visited a VERY inner-city school back in college when I was student teaching that had a HUGE fence around it. I had never been to that area of town before and was a little shocked by what I saw. The population was small, but the principal was AMAZING as were the teachers. I wish I could remember the name. It seems that it was named after a man???? (Yeah, I know that doesn't help at all.....)

Finally, I am left wondering what happened to Trinity Heights, where I attended until my parents moved to Bossier. I know that the name changed awhile back, but does it even still exist?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but year-round schools seems like a great idea. Wasn't the summer break originally created so that the children can help on the farms during the summer months? LoL

On the subject of remembering old schools. I attended Christ The King and I'm sad to hear that it closed down. What's funny is that I was baptist and attended catholic mass every Friday. Yes, they made the boys wear ties and girls wear skirts and attended mass every Friday. Anybody remember that school? It was a great school and a lot of people that attended that school went on to attend Loyola. But, as in every school, there was a lot of corruption. Sex scandals between the principal and teachers, janitor hiding in the closet and peaking at little girls, etc. I hate to get of the subject, but it seems as though the catholic community is known for a lot of sex scandals. ;)

I think i can answer 2 out of the 3 questions? Yes, Shreve Island is still year around. I'm not 100% sure about the 2nd school, but, is it Jack P. Timmons?

Edit: Strike my last, maybe George P. Hendrix?