MTSU projects?

KAjunRaider

Has anyone heard where the new student union building will be located, and what it will include? I have heard of a major chain (not Applebee's, but similar) will be included, and possibly a sports bar (like they have at WKU-- no alcohol, of course).

I also see on the master plan where a parking garage is planned across from the new baseball stadium.

Have also heard that the street that goes in front of the Rec Center will eventually go all the way to Greenland, using an existing "court" that is residential.

Any word if MTMC will sell their hospital to MT for Nursing or possibly a law school (now that the Geier Settlement has ended)?

Any word on possible MT golf course over by the VA where the pig and cattle farms are located? At one time, they proposed adding 18 new holes and turning it over to the university (I think it is city owned, now).

When are the pig farm and cattle farm moving to the new Guy James area out on Halls Hill Pike?

P.S. How about that new intramural area over across from Slick Pig on Main? Looks pretty nice, with asphault track around the perimeter. I sure wish runners were able to use some of the HS tracks and university track around here. I guess there would be no need to lock them up if there were no vandals......

At any rate-- nice site. I have really enjoyed reading about Murfreesboro past, present, and future.

Please visit us at http://www.BlueRaiderZone.com

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, well they'll definitely need to compensate for the loss of that lot. And they really need to pave all the new gravel lots, I've never gotten a flat but it sure as hell makes your car dirty in a hurry. A couple of parking garages would be ideal, IMO.

I agree, one on Greenland Drive corner and the other in front of the BAS. I mean when the baseball stadium, track, expanded rec, science building, new dorms, proposed student union, new entrances, etc. where do they think all of these people will park? It's obvious the campus is building east and in the future more of that sea of parking will be gone.

I agree, one on Greenland Drive corner and the other in front of the BAS. I mean when the baseball stadium, track, expanded rec, science building, new dorms, proposed student union, new entrances, etc. where do they think all of these people will park? It's obvious the campus is building east and in the future more of that sea of parking will be gone.

There is a planned parking garage across from the new baseball stadium. The gravel lot over by Rutherford is a future campus apartment site (similar to Scarlett Commons), so I guess this is the reason for no paving.

There are going to be many more buses bought, and eventually most of the parking will be away from the classes, and folks will have to park on the outskirts and ride the buses to class.

Many, many changes coming. Stay tuned.

• 4 months later...

Construction is wrapping up on a new entrance to MTSU on the east side of campus. Alumni Drive will be extended from Rutherford and connect to the street in front of Clement Hall. The additional parking lot for Scarlott Commons is under construction. The rec center is continuing to make progress as well. The two story addition of the pharmacy and sports medicine frame is now in place. Governor Bredesen has also announced money is in place for a transportation hub for the campus in conjunction with the City of Murfreesboro. A hub, shelters, and bus lanes will be put on place once the facility is complete.

^^^^^ a transit hub on campus?! that's what i've been suggesting for ages. a place for Rover, RTA(MTA relax-n-ride), and the MTSU buses all to meet would help immensely. hopefully routes and times for all services could be tweaked to converge on the hub at designated transfer times. this makes perfect sense and would help educate people of transit options. if we could just add a rail line in the mix it would be perfect! (ok, i'm dreaming again)

aside; i think the routes of MTSU shuttles need to be altered. one reason i rarely use it is because it seems almost impossibe to get from point A to B. The routes spend to much time in designated zones of campus, but there doesn't seem to be any "Cross-campus" line. i can walk from Peck Hall to the Rec center faster than i can get on one bus at Peck, transfer to another and eventually get to the rec center.

• 2 weeks later...

MTSU seriously needs to revise their Raider Express routes. Sometimes I would wait in the cold, rain, snow, etc for a bus that never came, or would just pass where it was supposed to stop. I had one driver ask me where I was parked because she didn't want to drive all the way to the Ag Center because she wanted to go on break. Frustrating! Also, two buses on the same route don't need to come back-to-back, unless there is a special event. But watching two blue line buses go by and then stand waiting for 45 min for another bus is ridiculous. Or here's a thought: convert the buses to run on the used cooking oil from the cafeteria & put the money the school would save on gas in a fund to eventually build a parking garage.

I say build a parking garage for faculty & hike up parking passes to pay for it if we must. Maybe turn the lot behind the Art Building & beside the ROTC building into a parking garage. That frees up surrounding faculty only spaces for students. All the bs about it being dangerous & more costly were the same arguments Vanderbilt & Belmont used before their garages were built, but they finally did it, why can't MTSU? I don't mind paying more for parking if it cuts down on the hour it takes to get to class now. If you add up the gas I use hunting for a parking space in a year it would probably equal a hefty yearly parking pass fee anyway.

I would gladly ride a bike to class, but I must go directly from work after class, so I must drive. Oh well.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Great renderings Timmay, thank you! I've been waiting for these renderings ever since I started college. Looks like a very large building and I like the glass addition and the wide sidewalks. This building will have a nice street appeal at MTSU and finally give students the lab space they've needed for quite some time (I'm one of them).

The building is to be located next to the old one where they are demolishing some old dorms. Not sure of the name of the dorms, some help?

edit: Your quite welcome for the rendering! This will definitely be a vast improvement over the old building. I am not sure what the time table is for the project. I just know my wife is graduating this year and won't be able to see it. Doesn't that always seem to happen? Oh well, for the future generations to enjoy!

Hey, I seem to remember that this building has suffered from the Tennessee state budget crunch and that MTSU didn't receive the hoped-for funds to get this project underway. I'll look through the archives on the Sidelines site to see if I can find the story, it wasn't that long ago, I think. Anyway, it might be awhile before we see this one underway (I guess the rec center expansion was more important).

my understanding that non-classroom building projects such as the rec center expansion and the new student union building for which the contract was just awarded for construction to start in the fall of 2009 derive their monies in a different manner...usually student fees or increase student fees as opposed to capital funding from the state...

my understanding that non-classroom building projects such as the rec center expansion and the new student union building for which the contract was just awarded for construction to start in the fall of 2009 derive their monies in a different manner...usually student fees or increase student fees as opposed to capital funding from the state...

You're probably right, I just can't resist being a douchebag sometimes. It is distressing to see some of the projects, like the Rec Center and the new University Center, go ahead while the school can't get much needed new classroom space. Of course, the others are important and only make the University more attractive to incoming students and out of state students and professors.

• 1 year later...

A few notes:

A new degree of Forensic Science will be offered at MTSU.

Construction on the new education building and student center are underway.

A new round-a-bout exist at the intersection of MTSU Blvd. and Blue Raider Rd. on the east side of campus near the rec center and married housing.

• 8 months later...

There is also the rumor that MTSU will do a couple of things:

1) Change its name to "Middle" only for athletic marketing purposes. The University will still be known as MTSU.

2) The Big East and Conference USA is looking at us because the academic progress report is the best in the Sunbelt

The Sunbelt is struggling with fan support because we are right in the middle of the SEC and its almost impossible to compete for players, support, and fans. Can you imagine if we were in the Big East and Syracuse, West VA., Pitt, and Rutgers had away games at Middle every other year? We would get a lot more than a smattering of fans. Watching Middle play Florida International is not a contest people have any interest in.

BR86

Archived