New Downtown for Greenville?

distortedlogic

One of the TBAs in this weeks Journal says, "The proposed growth along Verdae Boulevard is a welcome boom for the city, but some in the real estate biz wonder how it will effect downtown over the long haul. Verdae will have parks, businesses, and a varied selection of housing. It's proximity to I-85 could draw crowds from downtown at some point..."

Many believe that DT is now too strong for another part of town to ever take over. But, we all know the impacts interstates have, and with soooo much retail already in the area...

So my question for folks to ponder is; Could Verdae and the 85 boom belt ever become the "center" of Greenville, and become the new DT? What would that look like? What would happen to the current DT? Would it be good or bad for Greenville?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I don't think the current downtown Greenville will be replaced by a new one. The reason is because downtown has new hotels, condos, and skyscrapers going up. Also, downtown has the Bi-Lo Center, Peace Center, events, minor league ballpark, Falls Park, etc. You have to remember all of the people that work down there in the skyscrapers and other buildings during the day too.

If Columbia can do it, then why can't Greenville? I think it would work if it happened. Downtown Greenville would become uptown and the Verdae area would become downtown. I don't think the currrent downtown will be replaced, but a new one will probably just be added in the near future, which won't be a bad thing in my opinion.

Yes, a second downtown could certainly happen.

It seems as if plenty of cities already have a traditional downtown and a second concentrated core of office space, plus restaurants, retail and a few other uses: SouthPark in Charlotte and Buckhead in Atlanta come to mind. The second downtown could definitely have more office, restaurant and retail space than the traditional one. Yet I don't see second downtowns as becoming dense and walkable like the traditional one.

I think Verdae will definitely be an additional urban area for Greenville, but I think that's later down the line. The initial parts of Verdae are the parks and single family homes....when the Town Center of Verdae comes on line down the road, then you're looking at some nice serious density. Add Verdae to The Point, Greenridge, Magnolia Park, South Financial Campus, Millenium Campus, CU-ICAR, St. Francis Campus, Global Trade Center and redevelopments along Laurens and you're talking pretty serious density. :thumbsup:

If Columbia can do it, then why can't Greenville? I think it would work if it happened. Downtown Greenville would become uptown and the Verdae area would become downtown. I don't think the currrent downtown will be replaced, but a new one will probably just be added in the near future, which won't be a bad thing in my opinion.

I guess if you mean a second area of urban activity and not a second "downtown," that would be the case (Vista, Five Points). I can't think of any city that calls some other center of urban activity another "downtown." It would either go by Midtown or Uptown or some specialized name (e.g., Buckhead, SouthPark, etc.).

I guess if you mean a second area of urban activity and not a second "downtown," that would be the case (Vista, Five Points). I can't think of any city that calls some other center of urban activity another "downtown." It would either go by Midtown or Uptown or some specialized name (e.g., Buckhead, SouthPark, etc.).

I would also say that Greenville does have multiple areas of urban activity, which can even rival downtown for evening-night activity. One of them is Woodruff Road. Another is Haywood Road. These aren't your typical "downtown" style urban areas, where most people walk from store to store, but they have there fair share of amenities - on a large scale.

Archived