Museum of Art Announces $11M Expansion

jmanhsv

The Huntsville Museum of Art will announce plans Friday (Feb 23) for a $11M expansion that has been 2 years in the making. It will be a 2 story, 18,450 sq ft addition with an auditorium and six new gallery spaces (it has seven right now). The expansion will also include a sculpture garden, two fountains and a parking lot south of the building.

I bet the same people against the Summit development will fight this as well.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Huntsville City Council approved a contract to design the Art Museum expansion last night. Also, another part of the expansion was revealed- a permanent stage behind the museum for various events like the popular "Concerts at the Park" summer concert series. The museum hopes to break ground next spring and open in late 2009-early 2010. Huntsville Times article

• 6 months later...

Renderings from Fuqua & Partners Architects of Huntsville won location, character and extent approval Wednesday by a city planning subcommittee.

Plans call for a 22,750-square-foot addition that would add several galleries, a 300-seat multipurpose auditorium, a covered outdoor stage facing Big Spring International Park and some parking spaces below a canopy of a walk-in terrace featuring a sculpture garden.

Construction is expected to begin by June, with a targeted opening in summer 2009, according to architect Joe Fuqua.

In all, the total cost of the project is estimated at $11 million, including $2 million from a city special tax district. The remainder will mostly come from donations, according to museum President and CEO Clayton Bass.

Since announcing the plans for a museum expansion two years ago, Bass said, the museum has raised about $10 million.

• 4 weeks later...
This is great news for the Art Museum! And I like the idea of an outdoor stage. The temporary stages just look tacky. They can also use the stage for Panoply. And it's a great setting.

We'll have to get away from the "small town" mentality before really tall buildings can be built. Hard to do with the good ole boys in charge.

I would like the Times to do a piece on how the park has changed through the years. I would like to see maps over the years to see what has been added and subtracted. These editorials in the paper point to the Summit and Art Musuem as being built in the park. That seems to be a misrepresentation of what has really happened. The Summit was built over a parking garage, with a very small portion of the footprint encroaching on the park. To my knowledge, there was a senior center where the Art Museum currently stands. Additionally, none of these editorials mention the expansion of the canal alongside the Embassy Suites, or the upcoming work to be done to clean up the Pinhook Creek and expand the park between the VBC and Constellation. It seems to be a situation of convienently omitting information that doesn't help your case.

I have lived in Huntsville for several years, but not long enough to see the park change significantly. The Summit controversy is a joke in my opinion. It is a nice looking building and a vast improvement over the parking structure. I have searched online for this information, but haven't really found anything.

I would like the Times to do a piece on how the park has changed through the years. I would like to see maps over the years to see what has been added and subtracted. These editorials in the paper point to the Summit and Art Musuem as being built in the park. That seems to be a misrepresentation of what has really happened. The Summit was built over a parking garage, with a very small portion of the footprint encroaching on the park. To my knowledge, there was a senior center where the Art Museum currently stands. Additionally, none of these editorials mention the expansion of the canal alongside the Embassy Suites, or the upcoming work to be done to clean up the Pinhook Creek and expand the park between the VBC and Constellation. It seems to be a situation of convienently omitting information that doesn't help your case.

I have lived in Huntsville for several years, but not long enough to see the park change significantly. The Summit controversy is a joke in my opinion. It is a nice looking building and a vast improvement over the parking structure. I have searched online for this information, but haven't really found anything.

Watson wants ban on building at park

Friday, February 22, 2008

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Some on council voice caution over proposed limits

City leaders, still targets of criticism over two recent building projects in Big Spring International Park, are reviewing a proposed ordinance that would prohibit any further development in Huntsville's downtown park.

A draft was unveiled at a City Council work session Thursday night on the UAH campus.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind...&thispage=1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.al.com/news/huntsvilletimes/ind....xml&coll=1

Measure seeks to'dedicate'park use

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Big Spring space would be for recreation only

Huntsville residents could soon have a greater say over development in Big Spring International Park.

City Council members Bill Kling and Glenn Watson want to permanently "dedicate" the downtown park space for recreational use.

Archived