Poverty

sfmartin

This is not just an American problem. I live in Canada now and was just reading an article yesterday that had similar statistics about people in extreme poverty: http://www.metronews.ca/uploadedFiles/PDFs...1_vancouver.pdf

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the effect of children and lack of good family planning has on these statistics. Children and unplanned pregnancies are one of the leading reasons people end up in the poverty cycle. We need to do a much better job of educating people and providing free easy access to birth control. If we could limit the number of children being born to people who are incapable supporting them, we would go a long way to reducing extreme poverty IMHO.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pay more for those jobs and employers will get US citizen employees. ... If hourly wages climbed back to what they were in the 1960s, in real terms, there'd be a lot more Americans that would be willing to do them, and employers would have to provide better working conditions and would have to invest in making employees a lot more productive.

Well no, Wal-mart isn't the problem. Its a symptom of a the real problem which is the stratification of our society based on economic status where the middle class is disappearing to be replaced by a relatively small number of haves and a very large number of have nots. There is a lot of blame to spread around for this issue ranging from corporate and executive greed to personal responsibility for education and family planning. I don't know how it is to be solved given that everyone first needs to sit down move society in general from being less judgmental and divisive to one that is more tolerant and inclusive. Until that happens it will continue to be dog eats dog where the winner takes all and the rest are left to having to go to places like Wal-mart.

My guess is that most people shop at Walmart because they have to shop at Walmart. It's been my observation that people with relatively good disposable incomes hold the place in very low regard and would not be seen at the place. Maybe the fact that it imports cheap junk is adding to the poverty situation but it certainly isn't the only cause.

Personally, I shop at Walmart when it's convenient to do so. While I prefer the atomosphere of grocery stores, electronic stores, pet stores and hardware stores individually, I don't ordinarily have time to make 5 shopping stops in a single afternoon. So I end up at Walmart, the only place I know where all those goods are available under one roof. Price has a lot less to do with it than the value of my time.

Archived