Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weallneedhistory

Black gold by Butterworth Rd?

9 posts in this topic

So I've wondered this since I was a kid, and I tried searching UP for a previous thread but didn't find anything. Whose oil rigs are those that I see scattered along the Ford Freeway between Market and the Grandville exit? There's always been some by GR Gravel and the old pitts, as well as throughout the woods by the river along the highway. Some rigs don't look like they've seen action in years, and then I saw some moving again a couple of weeks ago.

Do they actually work? Is there oil down there? Are they drilling for something other than oil? Any answers?

There were a few drillers behind the Wayland Middle school. I notised that they typically ran maybe an hour or two a day, and were dormant the rest of the time. I don't know why this is, but maybe that's why you had never seen them in operation until now.

So I've wondered this since I was a kid, and I tried searching UP for a previous thread but didn't find anything. Whose oil rigs are those that I see scattered along the Ford Freeway between Market and the Grandville exit? There's always been some by GR Gravel and the old pitts, as well as throughout the woods by the river along the highway. Some rigs don't look like they've seen action in years, and then I saw some moving again a couple of weeks ago.

Do they actually work? Is there oil down there? Are they drilling for something other than oil? Any answers?

Wells drilled in the 30's in what's called the Walker Oilfield. The wells are in Walker and Tallmadge Twosnship. Usually refered to as "stripper" wells that are stripping what's left from the field. Low production wells - low in crude, high in salt water. They have two tanks on for crude and one for brine (or salt water). In the olden days, the brine was just pumped on the ground so most have chloride contamination issues. The wells are now owned by Fenske. They do not pump contineously.

Wells drilled in the 30's in what's called the Walker Oilfield. The wells are in Walker and Tallmadge Twosnship. Usually refered to as "stripper" wells that are stripping what's left from the field. Low production wells - low in crude, high in salt water. They have two tanks on for crude and one for brine (or salt water). In the olden days, the brine was just pumped on the ground so most have chloride contamination issues. The wells are now owned by Fenske. They do not pump contineously.

I believe that these wells are owned by Jack Goodale (Good GMC, etc.). There have been some issues between him and Millenium Park over one or more of the wells.

The well runs for a short time depleting the hydrocarbons around the bottom of the well. The well stops and allows the area to "recharge" with hydrocarbons and then they run again. Stripper wells can produce as little as a barrel or less per day so they are only run when oil prices are high enough to justify them. I don't think this production is high in brine anymore which is why you see them run for such short periods of time, but I don't know that for sure.

The brine that they produced used to be given to (or in somecases even sold to) the various townships and county's that would spray it on dirt roads to control dust! Now it often sent to Salt Water Disposal wells where it is re-injected to underground reefs for storage.

I stand corrected - Goodale also owns some of the wells. Fenske shows up on a google search as owning some also. Excellent decription of as stripper well by BTW :)