Charleston International Airport

MikesLogic

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

The Air Force, which owns the two runways at Charleston International, plans to tear both up in the next few years and rebuild them from scratch, a job estimated to cost $80 million. Airport officials said the refurbishment is the perfect time to stretch the shorter strip to 9,000 feet from 7,000 and the longer one to 10,500 feet from 9,000. Economic development officials said a runway of 10,000 feet or more is almost essential to landing another major aerospace manufacturer such as the two suppliers � Vought Aircraft Industries Inc. and Global Aeronautica � that are making pieces of the Boeing Co.'s new 787 passenger jet on airport property. Of course, the issue is (as it always is) "How do we pay for it?" The airport needs to snag $30 million from the FAA to make this happen.

The short runway has now been rebuilt and the main runway is soon to be closed for an 8 month rebuild. Unfortunately neither has been lengthened. We did land Boeing's second 787 assembly line without the longer runway. Now the the roadways around the airport need to be expanded badly.

Edited by Amapper

The short runway has now been rebuilt and the main runway is soon to be closed for an 8 month rebuild. Unfortunately neither has been lengthened. We did land Boeing's second 787 assembly line without the longer runway. Now the the roadways around the airport need to be expanded badly.

I was down visiting recently and decided to drive around the Boeing campus and the airport. It happened to be around 5:00PM and the traffic was backed-up pretty good leaving the airport's exit road (International Blvd?) out to Dorchester Rd.. This road badly needs to be widened to 4 lanes.

• 3 months later...

It is encouraging to see Charleston International Airport actively pursuing an expansion program that includes additional gates, baggage handling, additional retail vendors and expanded parking. The plans also call for "sprucing up" the terminal interior which is showing it's age.

The Charleston County Aviation Board has selected Fentress Architects of Denver as the lead architect/engineering firm for the $150 million expansion and terminal makeover project scheduled to be completed late 2012.

http://www.postandcourier.com/news/2011/dec/15/airport-board-selects-denver-architect-150-million/

Shortly after Boeing announced it's decision to locate an assembly line at the airport in North Charleston, a consultant was hired to make suggested highway improvements. They came in at about 150 million dollars. I read recently the local governments had put in a 300+ million dollar request to the state infrastructure bank for improvements in the area of the airport. Not much chance of that happening.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ground breaking was today on the first phase of $162MM CHS airport upgrade/expansion. (Somehow it went from a $150MM project to a $162 project.) Work will begin on construction of a new rental car pavilion followed by expansion of the airport apron making way for addition of 6 new gates.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20121018/PC05/121019244/1177/charleston-airport-breaks-ground-on-162-million-makeover

• 4 months later...

Great news for CHS: JetBlue will begin servicing CHS effective Feb 28 with 2 daily flights to New York's JFK and 1 daily flight to Boston's Logan.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120912/PC16/120919786/1165/jetblue-to-land-in-charleston-starting-feb-28

JetBlue begins service today at CHS with 2 daily flights to NYC's JFK and 1 daily flight to Boston's Logan.  A 4th Saturday only flight to Logan will begin on April 6.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130228/PC05/130229220/1177/first-jetblue-flight-to-charleston-greeted-with-a-rainbow

• 1 year later...

Charleston is getting two new daily flights to Reagan National on Jet Blue.  J.B. has only been there a year.  They are also increasing the plane capacity on the flights to JFK by 50%.  SC's busiest airport is going to get much busier it seems.  

In addition to the above, Southwest is trying to add a non-stop flight to Dallas - Love Field.

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20140310/PC05/140319958/1010/southwest-wants-to-add-nonstop-service-to-dallas-from-charleston

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Allegient to begin serve in April 2018

The airline will begin Wednesday and Saturday flights from Charleston International to Pittsburgh International on April 4, before switching to Thursday and Sunday flights. It will begin service to Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport on April 5, with Thursday and Sunday routes. And the carrier will fly to Indianapolis International on Fridays and Mondays, beginning April 6.

Introductory, one-way fares will be $48 for the legs between Charleston and Pittsburgh and Cincinnati while the initial one-way fare to Indianapolis will be $49. Flights must be purchased by Jan. 11 for travel by Aug. 14. Prices do not include other fees for extra baggage and preferred seating, for instance.

Flights are scheduled to end in October but could be extended based on demand, according to Allegiant spokeswoman Michelle Whaley.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ZUMAN2 said:

Non-Stop British Airways flights between CHS and London Heathrow Airport announced beginning April 4 2019:

https://www.postandcourier.com/business/charleston-airport-to-launch-nonstop-flights-to-london/article_4edaa636-c009-11e8-b80c-27f9947a444b.html

As Joe Biden would say, this is a BFD. 

Nice report for CHS.  Someday before my time expires I dream of a direct flight from CHS to SFO. without having to stop in Houston... but meanwhile, there is always CLT for a direct flight back to SFO w/o having to stop in Denver, though the drive to CLT is undesirable. I prefer direct  I believe I-20 from Florence to I-77 must be the most boring Interstate in America ...It's easy to fall asleep, and think I have only to be startled awake by a honking big rig. 

Edited by Charles Pearson

16 hours ago, Charles Pearson said:

Nice report for CHS.  Someday before my time expires I dream of a direct flight from CHS to SFO. without having to stop in Houston... but meanwhile, there is always CLT for a direct flight back to SFO w/o having to stop in Denver, though the drive to CLT is undesirable. I prefer direct  I believe I-20 from Florence to I-77 must be the most boring Interstate in America ...It's easy to fall asleep, and think I have only to be startled awake by a honking big rig. 

I was thinking about the CHS/SFO direct flight possibility this morning and I think it's going to happen much sooner than later.