Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

atownrocks

Tornado Sirens

9 posts in this topic

After living in Charlotte for almost 5 years now, I look around and notice there are not many tornado sirens here. Yeah we don't see tornadoes like the midwest does, but they do hit. As spring moves closer the threat for sever weather increases. There could be some bad weather this weekened. Tornado sirens are very effective and I wonder why there are not that many??

Just as you said, the occurance of torandos in Charlotte are so few, hence the reason not to put much into getting them.

Atlanta is the same way. They have them all over and if you got to NBC 6 website and go to weather. There is a map, and we are in a "Tornado Alley."

FYI, they just installed such a warning siren for various stuff like tornadoes on campus here at UNC Charlotte, and they recently did a test of it, but I never heard it, I was inside at the time, but it is said to be able to be heard for miles from campus.

In South Charlotte they are around. I've heard them in Tega Cay, Carowinds, Fort Mill, and Rock Hill.

In South Charlotte they are around. I've heard them in Tega Cay, Carowinds, Fort Mill, and Rock Hill.

I believe they do. I have heard them to in Union Conty. And there is a siren off the 485 in Pineville.

I would imagine that the sprawl of the city makes this kind of thing cost-prohibitive. There can't be much budget for building and maintaining them.

There is an extensive siren system at Lake Norman to warn of troubles at the nuclear plant. Duke pays to maintain and operate it and they test it 4 times/year. I don't think they would use it for tornados though.