Pontiac Silverdome

wolverine

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On my way back from Great Lakes Crossings, I swung by the Pontiac Silverdome. It's completely dark. What's going on with it? Is it entirely sealed up and closed now? I haven't heard any solid plans for it lately. Either renovate it to be a succesful venue or tear it down!

I really can't think of a feasible reuse for such a structure, but maybe I'll be surprised. I think this is a tougher renovation than any of the dinosaurs left in Detriot for the simple fact that there isn't much historically significant about it since it's relatively new. Stadium reuses are always very complicated which is why they are so very rare.

Didn't a developer proposed a type of town center, there, a few years ago that didn't go through? I remember seeing plans for some mid-rise towers that were shot down.

I really can't think of a feasible reuse for such a structure, but maybe I'll be surprised. I think this is a tougher renovation than any of the dinosaurs left in Detriot for the simple fact that there isn't much historically significant about it since it's relatively new. Stadium reuses are always very complicated which is why they are so very rare.

Didn't a developer proposed a type of town center, there, a few years ago that didn't go through? I remember seeing plans for some mid-rise towers that were shot down.

The problem is both the city, but, again, the feasibility of the projects submitted. Just because a developer puts together a proposal doesn't necessarily mean they already have the financing all lined up for the project, which is what happened to a lot of these. This is not to mention a project of this size would require some huge public subsidies. I'm talking about everything from city, state, and national public funds, to probably a regional tax for something like an aquarium. This would never happen. The region won't even pay for an expanded Cobo (at least not yet...)

The problem is both the city, but, again, the feasibility of the projects submitted. Just because a developer puts together a proposal doesn't necessarily mean they already have the financing all lined up for the project, which is what happened to a lot of these. This is not to mention a project of this size would require some huge public subsidies. I'm talking about everything from city, state, and national public funds, to probably a regional tax for something like an aquarium. This would never happen. The region won't even pay for an expanded Cobo (at least not yet...)

it's sad that the worlds largest domed stadium is empty, and decaying, and basically dead. Im sure they are just going to demolish it, Pontiac would fare better with something else there. It's one of my favorite buildings in Michigan, purely based on sheer size. I marvel at how big it is. I'll be sad to see it go.

it's sad that the worlds largest domed stadium is empty, and decaying, and basically dead. Im sure they are just going to demolish it, Pontiac would fare better with something else there. It's one of my favorite buildings in Michigan, purely based on sheer size. I marvel at how big it is. I'll be sad to see it go.

That pretty much sums up its architectural significance. Outside of its size, there is little else redeeming about the stadium.

BTW, just in case anyone was interested in some specs:

silverdom.jpg

silverdome-lg.jpg

O^Dome_Looms_Behind_Us.jpg

1. The fabric roof consists of 10-acres of translucent Teflon-coated fiberglass.

2. If measured from the ground the stadium rises 151 feet, and 202 feet if measured from the field.

3. It's the world's largest enclosed stadium.

Architect: O'Dell, Hewlett & Luckenbach, Inc.

Structural Engineer: Geiger Engineers

• 10 months later...

I'm really glad that the Lions have relocated to Detroit. The Silverdome's location was horrible in my opinion and should never have been built there. Having said that, my suggestion is to level the structure and convert the site to a corn field. The demand for corn is growning and the demand for anything else is non-existent. Call my crazy, but I truly believe that converting the Silverdome to a corn field is the highest and best use for the property.

I've always been fascinated with the building, growing up one of Jehovah's Witnesses I spent a few days every summer there. I was always in awe at how big it is. There is no use for it in it's current state. It's just to big. I'd hate to see it go away, more for nostalgia than anything.

I'm really glad that the Lions have relocated to Detroit. The Silverdome's location was horrible in my opinion and should never have been built there. Having said that, my suggestion is to level the structure and convert the site to a corn field. The demand for corn is growning and the demand for anything else is non-existent. Call my crazy, but I truly believe that converting the Silverdome to a corn field is the highest and best use for the property.

And if such logic held true, then you would have no problem with developers paving over cornfields on the edge of the urban area so as to increase tax revenue for X TWP.;)

In any case, I agree that it is ridiculous having sports teams play so far away from the majority of the people in the metro. I live closer to downtown Toledo than I do to the Palace of Auburn Hills and I'm only 20 minutes south of Downtown.

Archived