Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beowulf

Crime on Wade Hampton

16 posts in this topic

The news of the shooting death of Chris Maddox, owner of Bedding World, was a shock to the entire neighborhood. That entire neighborhood seems like it's in dire need of revitalization. There are some well-established places, such as Henry's, the paint store, Haus Edleweis, etc., but it seems that no viable new business has moved into the area in quite awhile.

I guess the first indication I got that something was truly wrong was on my last (an final) visit to Howard's ABC store. The display shelves were in disarray, and boxes were stacked everywhere. I asked the proprietor if he were remodeling, and he said he was rearranging to provide a clearer line of fire. It was at that time that I noticed the rather large hand gun strapped to his side very prominently. I figured that either (A) he was a gun nut, or (B) he truly felt threatened. In either case, I decided that I could find what I needed elsewhere from here on out.

Wade Hampton needs some help. Too many trashy looking rundown places when you get inside of Pleasantburg. I think WH would be a good candidate for a road diet. 7 lanes is a bit excessive.

Wade Hampton needs some help. Too many trashy looking rundown places when you get inside of Pleasantburg. I think WH would be a good candidate for a road diet. 7 lanes is a bit excessive.

^^^Whoever decided not to widen Woodruff Rd. to seven lanes should get jail time. :lol:

There are three flophouse motels--count 'em, three!--on that stretch of Wade Hampton between BJU and Stone Ave. Closing them down would be a step in the right direction.

There are three flophouse motels--count 'em, three!--on that stretch of Wade Hampton between BJU and Stone Ave. Closing them down would be a step in the right direction.

Closing them wouldn't have done anything to stop the recent murder, as they were completely unrelated.

Something's very fishy about that whole situation. What got the city's panties in a wad all of a sudden? They seem reeeeeeeally determined to get rid of that hotel....

...so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Hughes brothers pop up with some development there soon.

okay suppose that actually does happen, is anybody (other than the owner and a few people who just want a Goodguy Badge to pin on their shirt) going to complain if that place and/or any of the other run down hotels in that area get demolished to make way for a new development. Would it be the correct way to go about it....no, but not everybody does things by a strict moral code. some people live and work by the motto "by any means necessary".

Once a municipality allows itself to start disregarding property rights for the sake of its development projects, then we all should be concerned.

Greenville city does some wonderful things, but they do enjoy playing fast and loose with property rights.

Pragmaticism can work for the short term, but long term it can poison city government relations with the citizenry. That's my biggest complaint with Greenville city government.

okay suppose that actually does happen, is anybody (other than the owner and a few people who just want a Goodguy Badge to pin on their shirt) going to complain if that place and/or any of the other run down hotels in that area get demolished to make way for a new development. Would it be the correct way to go about it....no, but not everybody does things by a strict moral code. some people live and work by the motto "by any means necessary".

I heard today from a property owner near downtown on Wade Hampton that they had been approached by a developer looking to put several parcels together. However, nothing was firm and no offer had been made. Totally speculation at this point.

I heard today from a property owner near downtown on Wade Hampton that they had been approached by a developer looking to put several parcels together. However, nothing was firm and no offer had been made. Totally speculation at this point.