Crime on Wade Hampton

Beowulf

The news of the shooting death of Chris Maddox, owner of Bedding World, was a shock to the entire neighborhood. That entire neighborhood seems like it's in dire need of revitalization. There are some well-established places, such as Henry's, the paint store, Haus Edleweis, etc., but it seems that no viable new business has moved into the area in quite awhile.

I guess the first indication I got that something was truly wrong was on my last (an final) visit to Howard's ABC store. The display shelves were in disarray, and boxes were stacked everywhere. I asked the proprietor if he were remodeling, and he said he was rearranging to provide a clearer line of fire. It was at that time that I noticed the rather large hand gun strapped to his side very prominently. I figured that either (A) he was a gun nut, or (B) he truly felt threatened. In either case, I decided that I could find what I needed elsewhere from here on out.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
okay suppose that actually does happen, is anybody (other than the owner and a few people who just want a Goodguy Badge to pin on their shirt) going to complain if that place and/or any of the other run down hotels in that area get demolished to make way for a new development. Would it be the correct way to go about it....no, but not everybody does things by a strict moral code. some people live and work by the motto "by any means necessary".

Once a municipality allows itself to start disregarding property rights for the sake of its development projects, then we all should be concerned.

Greenville city does some wonderful things, but they do enjoy playing fast and loose with property rights.

Pragmaticism can work for the short term, but long term it can poison city government relations with the citizenry. That's my biggest complaint with Greenville city government.

okay suppose that actually does happen, is anybody (other than the owner and a few people who just want a Goodguy Badge to pin on their shirt) going to complain if that place and/or any of the other run down hotels in that area get demolished to make way for a new development. Would it be the correct way to go about it....no, but not everybody does things by a strict moral code. some people live and work by the motto "by any means necessary".

Archived