Nashville Promoting Itself

Nashvegas06

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave and TopCat great points in your post. I do agree that some people have a better understanding of Nashville. I know we can't and nor do I want Nashville to be everything to all people.

They only way to change that is the education of our diverse economy and communitys. I sent that last Rage issue on the Condo markets to a friend in New York City. He was blown away with the city look. That is the problem that we have as I mentioned the first post regarding the city promoting itself.

We have done a great job of getting into Wall Street Journal acticles as well as many others. The only problem is the control the content and look of the message. We need to have some promotion that we control the content!

Kheldane, nothing iconic? Memphis was pissed that we have the Bicennt Mall and Parth. They only have some BS stuff. Yeah Beal Street is ok if you want to get shot. In fact only a few years ago we had a cop pull up to us after we parked and asked us if we liked our car, because it would not be there later "stolen". I know that would not likely happen on 2nd ave or broadway.

All,

There IS a difference in promoting tourism and promoting the city as a place to live and work. Tourists do not really care as much about the new condos, but they will care about Lower Broad, The Prthenon, Opryland, etc. So getting back to the start of this thread, what do you think Nashville should promote in all of those airline magazines, tourism or lifestyle?

All,

There IS a difference in promoting tourism and promoting the city as a place to live and work. Tourists do not really care as much about the new condos, but they will care about Lower Broad, The Prthenon, Opryland, etc. So getting back to the start of this thread, what do you think Nashville should promote in all of those airline magazines, tourism or lifestyle?

I started out thinking that we needed to balance out our promotion between, business, tourist and locals. I quickly came to my senses and realized that the locals get plenty of promotion via the news outlets (tv, papers, etc). A good advertising campaign is going to leave the audience scrambling for more information (leave an unquenchable thirst), so far this one (to me) doesn't. The look is not bad but I guess I want more substance.

Sorry Nashvegas, gotta disagree with you on this one. We do not yet have the facilities to accomodate tourism in a large way downtown. Promoting tourism to groups is one thing and promoting tourism to individuals is yet another. The CVB as well as Gaylord already spend literally millions in advertising and promoting Nashville as a destination. We are severly behind the 8-ball currently in our efforts to attract more visitors because we lack 2 things, the aforementioned Convention Center and a major attraction other than the district to get people to come and stay downtown. Promoting the growth of our city in terms of living and working does not entice people to come here for a vacation.

If nashville had some kind of trailer-park themed attraction - - - something to give tourists the chance to be trailer trash / white trash, then we would really have something.

Your wish is granted! If I could figure out how to do it, I'd post the invitation....

Tower Investments is opening "The Paradise Park and Trailer Resort" Grand opening March 15th 6-9 PM

411 Broadway.

producer2,

I don't totally disagree with you, because living in Orlando for many years, I have to say that tourism can grow a city. But is this the kind of growth or economy we want? In Orlando you have NO density, it is just all urban sprawl with a lot of low paying jobs. That city as well as Vegas has set their future. Neither one of them will ever be looked at as city to live in, but a city to play in.

I do agree that we do need to continue to promote Nashville as a tourist destination, but let us promote it as a city for living in. New York and Chicago didn't promote themselves as tourist destinations in the beginning. They became that way because of their size and diversity. I am not saying we are there yet, but come on enough with the country music slant to every promotion. Cindy Crawford (George Clooney for some people) doesn't have to promote herself / him self has hot because it is obvious. The same goes for Nashville, let's promote the things that people don't know (i.e. stereotypes ) about Nashville.

If you disagree list five things that both Orlando and Las Vegas are national known for outside of Amusement parks or gaming!

I agree with you Nashvegas. Myself and others have made the same point. I think you're examples of NYC and Chicago are great because while those cities have mega-convention capacity, they were and will remain viable destinations aside from the convention industry because of their cultural, economic and historical heritage, i.e. because there's a lot of neat stuff to see and do there, much of which comes from their accumulated histories as vibrant places to live for a diverse population of people. Nashville has a lot to offer to the tourist and the convention industry but I wonder how much a huge convention center will disrupt the future of Nashville as a place to live and not just a tourist trap. I also wonder about the kind of jobs CC's bring. Will they be prominently low wage service jobs in which the people who are employed won't be able to afford to live in the city?

It seems to me that Nashville as a brand and the city as a viable place for both business and residential is taking off on its own and that the sort of same old, knee-jerk municipal mega-project approach really isn't needed at this time (it would be interesting to here some views on the effect of the arena and football stadium on the resurgence of Nashville).

Nashvegas06 is correct, we need the center downtown. IMO that is what will stimulate the city to build and do the things you are talking about Nashvillian. It will allow for more needed infrastructure like restaurants, stores, etc. that the city would not get based sley on the amount of residents living downtown. Now maybe there will be a reason to build more museums or attractions that will enhancde the city from a livable standpoint. These elemnts go hand in hand not against each other.

^You don't think a sizeable residential population in Sobro would bring in retail and restaurants? And I don't think Nashville is lacking for museums and attractions at this point. What is lacking are the homegrown local amenities, shops, art galleries, cafes, things that really make a place liveable and attractive. Plus these things don't generally charge an entrance fee so people are free to enjoy a day of sightseeing, looking at art, window shopping, people watching, etc. without forking over $8.50 for admission.

What do you guys think will happen to the price of the remaining real estate in SoBro once the MCC eats up four prime blocks? Will anybody be able to develop Sobro south of Broadway and north of Lafayette? What kind of retail and restaurants will be able to afford the rents? Chains? What kind of housing will be available?

You are correct that the city needs more museums art focus on the arts. But we also must realize that without more people from other areas of the country, we will not have much interest. Some, NOT all people from the local area are complacent and don't believe that we need to improve those aspects of the city. But without a more vibrant downtown with visitors, we have nothing. I feel downtown, Broadway and 2nd Ave are sad in comparison to the mid 90's.

Archived