Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swampfox43

Speculation on Charlotte's next implosion

23 posts in this topic

I was watching the local news this evening as they were showing the old Duke Energy building being imploded. The reporter said that DH Griffin Wrecking has another implosion scheduled in Charlotte within 4 months, but they could not disclose the location. Any guesses?

I would like to see Duke's current HQ building gone too. It's a very unattractive and street unfriendly building too. They do get points for trying to add some interest with that 1980s head shop style light on the outside, but generally I think the building takes away from downtown. Even the prison looks better.

Maybe it's an old factory somewhere?

I was tempted to name the PTL Heritage Tower, but that's not "in Charlotte". :)

My guess would be the Polk Building at Graham and Trade. This is the old state office building that is currently owned by Trinity Partners.

The Polk building would make sense with the Gateway Station and 500 West Trade going in there. At least I think thats where those projects will be.

The current Duke Energy Building suggestion doesn't make sense. The Polk Building makes lots of sense.

Not the BofA parking deck at the Ritz site??

Boy was that loud. It sounded like a thundercloud nearby, and I live in Starmount.

the demolition of this structures gives Greensboro the title of having the state's largest arena.

Well, Greensboro has worked hard at keeping it's arena viable. I think they've earned it.

Wonder how long we'll keep the old coliseum, I mean Cricket Arena, especially since the Merchandise Mart was sold.

Boy was that loud. It sounded like a thundercloud nearby, and I live in Starmount.

Wonder how long we'll keep the old coliseum, I mean Cricket Arena, especially since the Merchandise Mart was sold.

I agree with you. The "Cricket" Arena is right by my house, I have fond memories of concerts and such in that arena. It would be such a shame to tear it down.

I agree with you. The "Cricket" Arena is right by my house, I have fond memories of concerts and such in that arena. It would be such a shame to tear it down.

When they built the new Coliseum, it was built, it was the largest dome structure in the world.

I wish now they would give it back its original name, The Charlotte Coliseum, and use it for civic events.

I would like information on the mixed-use development that is replacing the Charlotte Coliseum.