New 550' - 650' tower planned for CBD

smeagolsfree

I have a source that I will call "Scorcher" informed me of a local architect that is working on a new 550' to 650' tall mixed use tower in the CBD. This would be along the same size as the BellSouth tower. All I can say is that it would be on a surface lot in the CBD and there will be more info coming soon. :yahoo:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many surface lots are left in the CBD that could hold a tower of this magnitude? I know we have the Sig T lot, courthouse lot, 2nd and church(anything over 5 stories isint probable on this parcel), and various other smaller lots. Most all other lots would require atleast some demolition of existing structures.

courthouse is supposed to be at church and 7th...that corner will be where the entrance is I believe.

the biggest lot appears to be the one behind hume-fogg (commerce and 7th), especially since I agree it is unlikely for anything of such height to end up on 2nd ave. I also wonder if it could be a lot that is just outside of this picture...oh well, kind of fun to guess

Maybe 8th and Church and 7th and Commerce could support the footpring for a 600+ footer but I dont see too many more parcels that would without demo. Someone should dig up the thread we had a while back where I believe it was Richard Lawson named off the probability of development for most all vacant lots downtown. I believe he also stated that theres just not too many places to go in the CBD with a skyscraper. Eventhough I like the design of Suntrust Plaza I had hoped someone would go tall on that huge lot. Although I'm more than happy to see something rising from that ol surface lot.

The entire block with the exception of the Berger Building is going to be the Courthouse.

Thh ell shaped lot at 6th and Church is possible because that is where City Center II was going to go and that would be my guess. The buildings onthe corner where the Subway is would more than likely be razed if that were the location.

The entire block with the exception of the Berger Building is going to be the Courthouse.

Thh ell shaped lot at 6th and Church is possible because that is where City Center II was going to go and that would be my guess. The buildings onthe corner where the Subway is would more than likely be razed if that were the location.

courthouse is supposed to be at church and 7th...that corner will be where the entrance is I believe.

the biggest lot appears to be the one behind hume-fogg (commerce and 7th), especially since I agree it is unlikely for anything of such height to end up on 2nd ave. I also wonder if it could be a lot that is just outside of this picture...oh well, kind of fun to guess

I decided to search the property ownership records of the 700 block of Church street just for kicks. On the odd numbered side, the whole block is owned by the United States of America (i.e. for the Courthouse).

On the other side of the street at the address 706 church street a rather interesting LLP called Church Street Lodging Associates owns that plot and they are registered out of Indianapolis, Indiana. Their ownership of this lot is relatively recent, having been purchased on 6/15/2006. If I am correct, the even numbered side of the 700 block is currently the surface parking lot beside the old library. Very interesting and if I am right about this information, this lot certainly could be a possibility for this project.

Btw, the land is already zoned for Office Building high-rise.

Wasn't there a photo-shopped pic of what Nashville's DT skyline would look like with Signature and a building at this location? I don't recall where/when I saw it, but it was online. The "what-if" building on this site looked like NYC's "lipstick" building. Does anyone know how tall that imaginary building was estimated to be in the skyline? As I recall, it balanced the skyline out fairly nicely next to Signature.

This is good news. But I'm not sure about comparing the height to Bellsouth. Even if it were only 600 feet, it would still appear much taller due to Bellsouth relying far too much on the two spires for height. At 650' and a higher lot, it would be very impressive indeed and be a nice balance to Signature. This is all assuming the new tower has a decent crown or top that doesn't make up 25% of the height.

The gym, if, and when built will not use that surface lot. The gym would use the small parking area that has now been made since the D'Cache (purple building) was torn down and it would extend over and connect to the rest of Hume-Fogg...that is the plan according to the former principal. The only thing ever rumored for the large surface lot was a Renaissance Hotel expansion.

So that lot could be a possibility, but now that I have been reminded of the "City Center II" lot as I will call it, I do agree that is the best possibility.

I think I like the skyline we have now with the Signature standing up like a middle finger flipping off other adjacent cities. j/k. But how much of a reality could this tower be? We have some people saying we can support tons more office space and condos and others who disagree. Its nice to dream but it takes so damn long for these things to come to frutition I dont even get that excited anymore. I still have this lonely look on my face riding down West End looking out the window for WES and finding a parking lot and some knew signs. These things take forever!

I think I like the skyline we have now with the Signature standing up like a middle finger flipping off other adjacent cities. j/k. But how much of a reality could this tower be? We have some people saying we can support tons more office space and condos and others who disagree. Its nice to dream but it takes so damn long for these things to come to frutition I dont even get that excited anymore. I still have this lonely look on my face riding down West End looking out the window for WES and finding a parking lot and some knew signs. These things take forever!

Archived