John McCain for President

Charlotteman

^Again you are simply ignoring every single thing said above and are spouting off the Iran wants to nuke Israel nonsense, without providing any proof of it. The speech that he made is being taken out of context which is what is normally done by people wanting war and you ignore all of the speaches he has made where he says that he does not want Iran to possess nuclear weapons. You can't pick and choose from everything a politician has said, to imply something about him, unless you consider 'everything' he has said.

I honestly don't know why you belong to this forum because the reasons we are here, sustainability, public transportation, energy conservation and alternative fuels, greenhouse gas controls, urban design, are all things the present GOP and their minions are definitely against. I assume that anybody that supports this party also supports their position on these issues including the pseudo-science they have created to support their positions.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I honestly don't know why you belong to this forum because the reasons we are here, sustainability, public transportation, energy conservation and alternative fuels, greenhouse gas controls, urban design, are all things the present GOP and their minions are definitely against. I assume that anybody that supports this party also supports their position on these issues including the pseudo-science they have created to support their positions.

I know this is a bit off topic, but I believe it is all related.

What were the mixed signals and how was Bush Sr. going to stop them? Thirty-four nations fought with us in Kuwait, with the U.N. Security Council authorization. I find it hard to believe you think Bush Sr. was in part to blame for Saddam invading Kuwait. Saddam made it clear that he felt Kuwait was merely a province of Iraq and was going to invade no matter what.

Terrorist do not just include Al Queda, there are many branches on this tree. People like Saddam, Ahmadinejad, and Bin Laden don't want to use diplomacy to solve problems, they use the murder of innocent civilians to get what they want. They are all terrorist in my mind and you can add Hizballa, Islamic Jihad, Hamas and the PLO to that tree.

I know it hasn't come up yet, but I'm guessing it will. People have talked about how we backed Iraq in their war against Iran, but they fail to mention who was backing who in that war. Those backing and suppliers of Iraq with weapons and inteligence also included: France, Egypt, Brazil, China, Soviet Union, UK, Germany, and other Persion gulf countries. Those who backed Iran: North Korea, Libya, and Syria. We basically took the side of what was thought to be the lesser of two evils. Iran has brought this on themselves with their actions since the 1970's. It's a shame the people there, most of which don't support the government, have to live with such volatility in their lives.

Check out this timeline of terrorist attacks. What is most startling to me is how many attacks happend from 1995 until Sept. 11, 2001. Terrorist all around the world seemed to be able to attack at will and they only became more numerous. Was this a sign of things to come that went ignored?

http://usinfo.state.gov/is/international_s...chronology.html

Another tidbit about Islam that I can guarantee that most Christians do not know: It is believed by Muslims that on the last day, Muslims, Christians, and Jews will not have to worry.

Muslims believe that they simply follow the most complete of the Abrahamic faiths. They call Christians "people of the book" which refers to the Bible. They believe there are three complete books to Islam: The Torah, The Gospels, and the Koran.

They believe that Jesus was still alive when he was taken from the cross and never died and because of that was not the great prophet. They believe that Mohammed was the great prophet that came and believe that Jesus will come again.

There are three groups of Muslims:

Sunni- They make up the vast majority of Muslims and could be equated as the "intellectual" branch of the religion. You could say they like to keep the religion "clean" much like Puritans or other protestants have sought in the Christian faith. They make up the bulk of Muslims in Africa, Saudi Arabia, and Southeast Asia.

Shiite- Could be described as the "worshipful" branch of Islam. They make up a majority in a crescent from Syria across Iraq into Iran. They believed the successor to Mohammed as the leader of the faith should have been his son while the Sunnis believed that a wise cleric that was not related to Mohammed should be the leader. Shiites could be loosely compared with Catholics in their practice in that they are more open to mysticism and praying to saints or doing certain rituals that Sunnis believe are perhaps even sac religious.

Sufi- A much smaller minority of Muslims that have had large influence in Iran. This branch of Islam inspired famous Persian writers Rumi and Hafiz which had worldwide influence as far away as Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in Germany. Their poetry quite good and much of it is quite funny. Sufi Muslims practice a much more mystical version of Islam. They have many rituals and dances that they perform and they believe that you can really connect with yourself and with God (Allah meaning The God.. Al being "the" and "Lah" being God) through dances. They are also the most superstitious of the three branches and perform many small rituals that are meant to bring good luck, etc. I don't know that we have a branch of this in Christianity, but one could equate it to Catholics that do things like pray to certain saints for certain types of help or Orthodox Christians that believe ritual and symbolism is very important in the religion.

Spanning across Islam are the five basic tenants of the faith. You really only are required to do four of them.

1.) Say the Shahada (kind of like professing your faith in Christ as a savior in Christianity)

2.) Fast during the month of Ramadan from sunrise to sunset. This is easy in Middle Eastern lands close to the equator. Muslims in Alaska might have a difficult time with it during summer months.

3.) Pray five times daily, and try to face Mecca. I toured a Mosque and a Muslim friend of mine's father let me observe him praying one day. It was really fascinating. It seemed much more formal than the way I would pray as a Christian.

4.) Pay the zakat. This is an approximate percentage of your material wealth (though necessities are not included).

5.) Pilgrimage to Mecca. This is not required. It simply states to make a pilgrimage if it is possible at least once in your life. This is referred to as the "Haj" and those that make the pilgrimage are known as "Hajis"... which is actually a derogatory term that many U.S soldiers refer to Iraqis as. This is very ritualistic part of the faith. You go to Mecca and you must run around the Kaaba seven times. The object is to circle around like a coil and get closer to the Kaaba (a large black monolith with "the black stone" at its corner). Ideally, you should touch the Kaaba and kiss the black stone.

Sufi Muslims believe that this ritual symbolizes your life cycle as you begin far away and get closer to your divine enlightenment as you get closer. Sufi Muslims believe that humans are reincarnated and that hopefully, each time, we get closer to this divine enlightenment as it takes several lifetimes to reach it. A good quote to sum this belief up is from T.S. Elliot: "At the end of all our struggles we will find ourselves where we began and know it for the first time."

It is really a fascinating religion and culture if you take the time to learn a bit about it and seek to understand it a bit.

As a last little note: The branch of Muslims that are the most infamous in the world right now are known as Wahabi Sunni Muslims. This is the sect that the Saudi family practices and enforces in Saudi Arabia and is also the sect that Al Qaeda stems from.

Just a few points. First, that was interesting reading on Islam, however I was not talking about the religion. I was talking about the organizations such as "Islamic Jihad" based in Damascus. Perhaps you need to tell these groups what "jihad" means, as they sure as heck don't follow it.

Second, I have seen the word spelled both as Hezbolla and Hizballa, maybe it depends on the translation. Also, is it Koran or Qur'an? I misspelled Al-Qaeda, great, you got me there. Either way, I don't see what that has to do with anything other than you questioning my intelligence.

Third, I don't own an SUV. I don't do much driving when it comes to distance. Everywhere I have to go is within a five-mile radius, that's how I planned it when I was looking for and found my condo. I also have high efficient appliances in my condo. I use cloth bags when I go grocery shopping, to go along with the other things I mentioned above. So while some people preach conservation, I actually live it.

Anyway, that was a nice diversionary tactic trying to paint me as some Muslim hater. You also seem very quick to excuse what the terrorists have done and equally as quick to condemn Republican presidents for being the root cause of terrorism. We happen to disagree, but what else is new.

Not desputing that most muslims believe in peace. Even if the "Jihadist" are only 1% of the 1.3 billion muslims on the planet; that is still 13 million willing to blow the (you & me) infidels intestines on-to the ceiling tops. And if 1% of that 13 million are currently residing(laying low) in the U.S. that's 130,000 radicals. If that number seems a little high???cut that to another 1%, that's is 1,300. Still plenty to think about. Take nothing for granted. If it's some suit case dirty bomb in the Port of Miami; communications in Atlanta; refineries in Baton Rouge or Houston; Sears Tower in Chicago; Hoover Dam, Gateway Arch, or some tunnel,etc. It's not a matter of if?? But when another strike happens in the future??

With all of this talk of McCain; another name could be entering the wide-open race. Fred Thompson of Tennessee.

Anyway, that was a nice diversionary tactic trying to paint me as some Muslim hater. You also seem very quick to excuse what the terrorists have done and equally as quick to condemn Republican presidents for being the root cause of terrorism. We happen to disagree, but what else is new.

Recently Greenville, S.C. held a Rep convention of sorts. Guilliani, Romney, Huckleby and other lesser-known candidates were there shaking hands, trying to drum up support prior to the S.C. primary.

Startlingly absent was John McCain. Some S.C. Reps in Greenville were reportedly insulted by his absense. Could this be a sign that his day of political reckoning is coming close?

Another is that we are a super power, so you go after the most powerful nation in the world because we are the most obvious target. When the people in the Middle East live in the conditions they are in, and then see how prosperous we are, they want us to feel some of their pain. You also have to look at our cultural differences. They see our movies, music, and other freedoms of expression as an affront on their religious teachings, they see us as immoral.

For some reason, this thread keeps drifting off topic, but for the moment, I'll go with it.

I present another theory, instead of the good dog goes mysteriously bad theory, though not necessarily unrelated.

Radical leaders of terrorist organizations always need a cause. Fighting the Soviets was an easy cause in 1980s, because they were close-by and agressive. After the failed invasion of Afghanistan and the eventual demise of Soviet Union, there was little use for someone like Bin Laden. The region was relatively secure, which is bad business for someone operating terrorists camps. A new "enemy" was needed.

The US, for a variety of reasons, including its tension with Libya and alliance with Israel made it the easiest target. I would not dispute that American foreign policy is the souorce of a lot of animosity, but I would argue that it is the underlying desire for conflict by terrorist leaders that allows US foreign policy to be turned into a rallying cry for those who profit (both economically and egomaniacally) from terrorism.

Osama should have attacked the the Royal Pallace if that was his reason. It would have taken much less money or planning, then he could have assumed power and run Saudi Arabia the way he wanted.

For some reason, this thread keeps drifting off topic, but for the moment, I'll go with it.

Did Fred Thompson attend in Summerville?? I don't think he has officially declared.

The terrorist do see how we live thanks to satelitte TV. They see the Desperate Housewives, ex-Pres. adulterous affairs, CSI criminal intent and too many murderous TV shows and movies to name; they take that stuff seriously were women over there are only allowed to show the white's of their eyes; and vote, yeah right. They see all the prosperity with magnificant skylines and fast cars and half dressed women. Living it up on weekends celebrating Super Bowls, All-Star Games, etc. Then they look at what they got; Gas powered generators providing electricity, etc

It makes it that much more easier to call us infidels, who can blame them??

Then there is the Opium drug-trade that provide the terrorist with more $ than you think!!! Bad dog.

That's not what I said. That's not the reason for them to plot attacks; it just make them more disgusted and give them more ammo to call us infidels. No, there are plenty of other reasons why they would like to behead all of us; unless of course we are muslim. Remember earlier I said 1%!

^You continue to make claims that are based on your opinion and not any facts. One more time. Please provide some proof. I suspect that you haven't because there isn't any.

And if you can't provide any proof then you have made your last claim that 1% of people of the Muslem faith are bomb plotters. It is a bigoted remark and we don't allow that on this forum.

Archived