John McCain for President

Charlotteman

McCain went straight to Miami after Romney screwed up down there by putting his big foot in his mouth. He used a quote often used by Fidel Castro in an offensive manner to Cuban Republicans and they are pissed off about it. McCain, the clever politician that he is, smelled blood and went there to try and gain some ground. At least this is my theory.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a McCain supporter, so I hope he gets the nomination. I can't see myself voting for any of the other republicans that are running. If he doesn't get it, I may have to vote independant. I think Hillary gets the dems nomination, with Obama as her VP. This could be a very exciting election, I will be glad to see Bush gone.

At one point in time I would have chosen McCain if I had to vote Republican, but the past few years have completely changed my mind on him. What do you still find appealing about him? Or is a lesser of evils situation? Still though, I'd take a Guiliani or Bloomberg over McCain if we are settling here (on GOP candidates).

I'm just so over politicians, but you have to be one if you want to get elected. McCain is pandering now to the far right, however he has shown he does what he wants and won't be influenced as much as others. I see him as calling for a truce, rather than falling in line with the christian right. I just have a lot of respect and admiration for the man. He will be a strong leader who can work with both sides. If Hillary is elected you will see the worst gridlock ever seen in DC, the same could be said for the other Republicans running. I think he is the right man at the right time. He won't be as quick to go to war as Bush was and won't roll over like I think Hillary would.

I don't see any presidential candidates that are apealing. I like Guiliani best of all, but I have a hard time letting his divore and behavior towards his last wife go. I'd probably go with him if I had to vote today, but I wouldn't feel very good about it.

I've never cared for McCain. He seems to be a loose cannon to me, and I have enough cold war paranoia in me that the Manchurian Candidate possiblity bothers me. I know that sounds stupid, but that's the way I feel about him.

At one point in time I would have chosen McCain if I had to vote Republican, but the past few years have completely changed my mind on him. What do you still find appealing about him? Or is a lesser of evils situation? Still though, I'd take a Guiliani or Bloomberg over McCain if we are settling here (on GOP candidates).

I don't know much about Bloomberg other than he likes to ban things. I would have to hear some of his views before I could comment further. Unfortunately I think Metro is right about the republicans who vote in the primaries. However, I think McCain could gain a lot of support in the debates from both sides. It seems I don't have too many on my side now, but I could see that changing over time.

That's the problem erdogs, I'm pretty sure you're in a minority that is growing smaller and smaller, and so McCain is not going to win support from both sides. As you pointed out, he has pandered to the far right and their extremist religious and anti-gay agendas and lost most of his centrist base. His flip-flopping will conversely lose him some hard-line conservative votes because they do not buy the act.

As far as Bloomberg banning things, normally I am suspect of government regulation in my personal life, but I can find nothing to object to concerning trans-fats or cell phones/pagers in schools, they are all around good moves and will hopefully be an example that spreads everywhere. Other than that he has lobbied against smoking and for tighter gun control laws, no real Orwellian type govt. control there (IMO).

What I am really surprised about is the fact that he is somehow allowed to be a member of the Republican party, it seems to me more of a joke on the whole party itself, not just a way of circumventing the Democratic primary in the 2001 election. He is pro-choice, pro gay marriage, favors tighter gun control, is concerned with education, intcvlcphlga, in what ways is he right leaning?

That's the problem erdogs, I'm pretty sure you're in a minority that is growing smaller and smaller, and so McCain is not going to win support from both sides. As you pointed out, he has pandered to the far right and their extremist religious and anti-gay agendas and lost most of his centrist base. His flip-flopping will conversely lose him some hard-line conservative votes because they do not buy the act.

As far as Bloomberg banning things, normally I am suspect of government regulation in my personal life, but I can find nothing to object to concerning trans-fats or cell phones/pagers in schools, they are all around good moves and will hopefully be an example that spreads everywhere. Other than that he has lobbied against smoking and for tighter gun control laws, no real Orwellian type govt. control there (IMO).

What I am really surprised about is the fact that he is somehow allowed to be a member of the Republican party, it seems to me more of a joke on the whole party itself, not just a way of circumventing the Democratic primary in the 2001 election. He is pro-choice, pro gay marriage, favors tighter gun control, is concerned with education, intcvlcphlga, in what ways is he right leaning?

• 2 weeks later...

Did ya'll hear of McCain's visit to Baghdad? He and three other GOP senators strolled through a large Baghdad market, and afterwards McCain mentioned to the media that "things are definitely improving in Iraq".

Was John McCain insinuating that if things weren't improving, then a stroll like that wouldn't have been possible?

He forgot to mention that beforehand the army had completely swept the market for explosives, searched almost everyone there, sealed off the area, and patrolled the market openly armed AND in undercover garb. Sharpshooters were stationed all around, including on rooftops.

Some improvement eh, Mr. McCain?????

3 Blackhawk helicopters hovered over the market while he was there as well. I wonder how many lives were put in danger, not to mention the cost, by this stunt. Maybe he is so detached from reality these days that he doesn't even realize the average person doesn't have the US military covering their back. I think he needs to retire from politics as he has been in the job too long.

I honestly don't know why any sensible person would continue to support and vote for people like this.

Unfortunately, I believe John McCain's old age combined with the slight cognitive comprehension problem that comes with age has deluded his views. In addition, he is pandering to the neo-conservatives that believe everything is honky-dougherty there in Iraq. I believe he is just a lost soul in the political arena. You can see the end of his campaign coming and it is failure whether he wants to believe it or not.

The thing is I actually do feel sorry for him. Although I don't agree with his views.

The republicans are making a mistake. McCain is the only one in their party who is electable. Let's not forget, this man has done more for this country than anyone else in DC. He is a war hero and personal attacks on him are unwarranted.

Did ya'll hear of McCain's visit to Baghdad? He and three other GOP senators strolled through a large Baghdad market, and afterwards McCain mentioned to the media that "things are definitely improving in Iraq".

Was John McCain insinuating that if things weren't improving, then a stroll like that wouldn't have been possible?

He forgot to mention that beforehand the army had completely swept the market for explosives, searched almost everyone there, sealed off the area, and patrolled the market openly armed AND in undercover garb. Sharpshooters were stationed all around, including on rooftops.

Some improvement eh, Mr. McCain?????

It's not about supporting Bush. McCain believes if we leave Iraq too soon, it will become out of control and more dangerous than ever. Whether you agree with the war being started or not, we have to take responsibility for making things right there. I'm no expert on what should be done, but I'm afraid of what might happen if we leave too early. I don't see why people can't understand this. I wish the war had never happened, however that's in the past and this is now. I guess I must be a Bush shill, but that's my opinion.

McCain believes if we leave Iraq too soon, it will become out of control and more dangerous than ever. Whether you agree with the war being started or not, we have to take responsibility for making things right there. I'm no expert on what should be done, but I'm afraid of what might happen if we leave too early. I don't see why people can't understand this.

If we leave the Sunnis and Shias will not stop killing each other, it will only get worse. So if we leave and genocide occures, will the UN go in to stop it? I think the biggest problem we have is no one is willing to help us out. The world should be united on this, even if they disagree with the war and don't like Bush. If we leave, I fear in a few years the world will have a human disaster on there hands the likes we havn't seen since Hitler.

If we lose this by pulling out, we better regroup and get ready for the coming onslaught by the terrorist. We may have to pull most of our troops out of Europe to defend our borders and let them fend for themselves.

It's not about supporting Bush. McCain believes if we leave Iraq too soon, it will become out of control and more dangerous than ever. Whether you agree with the war being started or not, we have to take responsibility for making things right there. I'm no expert on what should be done, but I'm afraid of what might happen if we leave too early. I don't see why people can't understand this. I wish the war had never happened, however that's in the past and this is now. I guess I must be a Bush shill, but that's my opinion.

An interesting story about John McCain on NPR April 10.

The thrust of the commentary was that McCain has gone from a one-time media darling to a candidate on the run from the press. In years past the media were practically in love with McCain......

But the media have been endlessly pubicizing his Baghdad stunt, as well as his stubborn adherence to Bush foreign policy. He is no longer a media darling, even remotely. The media are calling him on everything. And it's about time.

Also, on an amusing note the NPR commentary said McCain now visibly snarls at the media during questions. He was even compared to the boorish Spiro Agnew (American V.P. 1969-1974) who openly taunted the media!

Wow--- that must really smart to be compared to Spiro Agnew, one of the most unscrupulous political hacks of the 1970s! McCain is on a downhill political slide that looks fatal.

Oh I got the year wrong:)

That's true--Agnew was caught in a relentless FBI sting investigating his dealings while he was governor of Maryland. He was a disgrace, not only to the GOP and Maryland, but to the country as well.

John McCain's heart must have skipped a beat when he heard that NPR commentary comparing him to Vice President Agnew! That must sting like a bee, as McCain is more than familiar with Agnew.

An interesting story about John McCain on NPR April 10.

The thrust of the commentary was that McCain has gone from a one-time media darling to a candidate on the run from the press. In years past the media were practically in love with McCain......

But the media have been endlessly pubicizing his Baghdad stunt, as well as his stubborn adherence to Bush foreign policy. He is no longer a media darling, even remotely. The media are calling him on everything. And it's about time.

Also, on an amusing note the NPR commentary said McCain now visibly snarls at the media during questions. He was even compared to the boorish Spiro Agnew (American V.P. 1969-1974) who openly taunted the media!

Wow--- that must really smart to be compared to Spiro Agnew, one of the most unscrupulous political hacks of the 1970s! McCain is on a downhill political slide that looks fatal.

Archived