Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

uconn99

A Good Time To Eat, Drink And Be Wary

13 posts in this topic

Downtown Hartford's restaurant scene is hopping, and the theories on why are as varied as the cuisine.

Some say that diners from the suburbs are getting more comfortable with downtown Hartford. Others say that regulars who work downtown and the convention center are giving the eateries a boost. And some say it's simply the good food.

What they do agree on is this: It's not because of a spike in people living downtown.

Richard Rosenthal, co-owner of Max Downtown and owner of Trumbull Kitchen, said that his restaurants in downtown Hartford had a record year in 2006, and he attributed that partly to suburban residents getting more comfortable with dining out downtown.

http://www.courant.com/business/custom/out...adlines-outlook

Still great news....

The fact that more suburbanites are getting more comfortable coming downtown is definitly a change in the right direction. For so many years people have stayed away from downtown but if we can start to lure bring back suburbanites who before would not enter the the city there is great potential that they will continue to support the Hartford economoy.

The Greater Hartford restaurant scene in my opinion is booming. Try finding a restaurant on any Saturday night and youll be faced with lots of crowds and long waits...which is great for business though. When I write this I also include restaurants in the city that are jam packed...even if theres not an event going on in the city. A few months ago Wood N Tap opened a new restaurant in Rocky Hill just off of I-91 near the Wethersfield town line. The place has been packed every night with long waits....with this in mind though Wood N Tap in Hartford on Sisson Ave has been packed as well with long waits.

One thing I did find intresting though was the quote about college students coming downtown. There are college students coming downtown but I think there are actually a greater percentage of students from UHART, CCSU, UCONN West Hartford/Law School/etc coming downtown then students at Trinity. There are constantly buses brings students from these colleges to bars and clubs downtown.

You'll notice the most Trinity students downtown on Thursdays - simply because on Friday's and Saturday's the frats are open at Trin and drinks are much less expensive than in the bars downtown on weekends (though much lower quality - cheap booze and nothing else). UHart and some of the others don't have the amount of on-campus weekend entertainment that Trin does and so, unfortunately, this keeps Trin students out of the city - though as a Trin Student I will admit that Hartford gets a ton more fun once you turn 21. Same goes for restaurants - we're more of a weekday crowd because we stay in on weekends for the on campus parties - sort of the opposite of most schools.

None of the restaurant owners know where the influx is coming from.

Yet, they dismiss H21, Sage Allen, Trumbull on the Park all of which happened in the last year. Not to mention the Metropolitan or Coltsville.

Yet the article ends with this gem "One customer from the tower comes to my restaurants at least three times a week," Varano said. "He's a young guy, he doesn't cook. That's a good demographic. If they keep filling them with people like that, we'll be in good shape."

You'll notice the most Trinity students downtown on Thursdays - simply because on Friday's and Saturday's the frats are open at Trin and drinks are much less expensive than in the bars downtown on weekends (though much lower quality - cheap booze and nothing else). UHart and some of the others don't have the amount of on-campus weekend entertainment that Trin does and so, unfortunately, this keeps Trin students out of the city - though as a Trin Student I will admit that Hartford gets a ton more fun once you turn 21. Same goes for restaurants - we're more of a weekday crowd because we stay in on weekends for the on campus parties - sort of the opposite of most schools.

I think you just added one and one and got four thousand. Your conclusion is completely unrelated to your set up.

Trinity is NOT a commuter school. It enjoys enrollment from many out of state students, therefore it has to offer more on campus activities. You can't really compare it to PACE or even NYU which draw most of their students from a 25 mile radius.

I think you just added one and one and got four thousand. Your conclusion is completely unrelated to your set up.

Trinity is NOT a commuter school. It enjoys enrollment from many out of state students, therefore it has to offer more on campus activities. You can't really compare it to PACE or even NYU which draw most of their students from a 25 mile radius.

Both UConn and CCSU draw the vast majority of their students from very close by.

However, neither is comparable to Trinity because they are public institutions. Trinty has to compete with a number of private institutions, many near the same size, for students. The extended athletics give it a competitive advantage with students who want a complete college experience. It has NOTHING (or almost nothing) to do with Hartford.

Actually, Trinity doesn't really provide much for students to do on weekends (maybe one big party a month) and school sponsored parties are not well attended. Most of the weekend activity is provided by frats which are independent student organizations and are not controlled by the school - so I guess it is the students who do not have too much faith in Hfd, which would be hard to argue against.

Actually, Trinity doesn't really provide much for students to do on weekends (maybe one big party a month) and school sponsored parties are not well attended. Most of the weekend activity is provided by frats which are independent student organizations and are not controlled by the school - so I guess it is the students who do not have too much faith in Hfd, which would be hard to argue against.

So which is it.

A) Trinity might be saying that it doesnt have full faith in the community because they offer so many things for students to do because of the lack of possible activities in the city.

B) Trinity doesn't really provide much for students to do on weekends

Im not picking battles with anyone here....all im saying is that Trinity is in my opionion the best college in greater Hartford. It has a reputation as one of the best liberal arts colleges in the nation and its located right in the city of Hartford. The college has shown support for the city over the years by helping with projects like the Learning Corrdoir and most recently the Community Sports Complex.

Trinity and Hartford both have huge potentials for each other. Students should be taking more advantage of Hartford and Hartford should be taking more advantage of Trinity (both in a good way). I can tell you right now there are bus loads of students that are brought into downtown from CCSU, St Josephs College, UHART, UCONN, etc to party downtown. There are also an array of upscale restaurants to bring that special someone. This is all in additon to the cultural attractions, museums, theaters, etc.

Trinity students did decide to come to school in Hartford, why not get out and explore it.