West Of I-91, Some Seriously Big Digs

uconn99

It's a short but busy stretch of land between the Founders and Charter Oak bridges, just west of I-91, but it boasts some of the city's largest works-in-progress - a science center, apartments and a magnet school.

With the neighboring Connecticut Convention Center now in its second year, here's a brief look at what drivers passing the capital city see when they look west, as well as a sense of what they can expect to see in 2007.

Traveling north to south, the first construction site they will see beyond the Founders Bridge is that of the future Connecticut Science Center.

If 2006 for the center was a year of fundraising, a name change, a logo, exhibit design and driving 500 pilings, 2007 is going to be about finishing a 460-space garage, framing the main building with steel and enclosing it in glass, and figuring out how to perfect the customer experience.

http://www.courant.com/business/custom/out...adlines-outlook

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised there's not more development around the whitehead highway. it's a quick jump onto the highway (which connecticans love) and a lot of parking facilities near the civic center (which I belive they rent out).

Archived