Surveying The Local Sports Scene

uconn99

Hockey in Hartford: The future of hockey in Hartford should take shape in March, when the Connecticut Development Authority decides who will run the Civic Center. There are three proposals to run the building, and authority officials have said they like elements of each bid.

The company that has run the building since 1997, Madison Square Garden, is offering to extend its contract while splitting profits with the state, paying for capital improvements and waiving $3 million of payments that it is owed. MSG would continue to provide a tenant for the building - the AHL's Wolf Pack, an affiliate of the New York Rangers.

http://www.courant.com/business/custom/out...adlines-outlook

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's doubtful that we're getting the NHL back in Hartford. At least we have the next best thing, should be happy to have that. Connecticut is a good hockey market for that, if the Wolfpack cater to it. Take a look at the Nighthawks/Trashers faithful for the UHL ... by far the most loyal and brutal fans in America (outside Philly).

I think it's doubtful that we're getting the NHL back in Hartford. At least we have the next best thing, should be happy to have that. Connecticut is a good hockey market for that, if the Wolfpack cater to it. Take a look at the Nighthawks/Trashers faithful for the UHL ... by far the most loyal and brutal fans in America (outside Philly).

Well, I was 11 when the Whalers moved and I never seen a game in Hartford. And being halfway between Boston and Hartford, nobody really paid attention to the Whalers. So I'm not aware of why they moved, whether the ownership was desperate for Raleigh or not getting a new arena or if fanbase was low and nobody attended games.

Archived