Moses, Manhattan And The Road Not Taken

Bill Mocarsky

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read this article....and it does hit close to home....meaning Hartford.

I am going to school in NYC and cant even imagine what Manhattan would be like today with highways running across it. Where would Greenwich Village, Chelsea, SoHo, Tribeca, etc. be today? Would they even exist?

Two highways cutting through downtown Hartford + no solid public system of mass transporation = bad idea

Robert Caro wrote a fascinating biography of Robert Moses called the Power Broker. Even though Manhattan was spared from much of Moses' wrath, the outer boroughs weren't. For example, both the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95) and Gowanus Expressway (I-278) contributed significantly to the decline of surrounding neighborhoods.

This article is based around an exhibit at the Museum of the City of New York. I highly suggest visiting this museum. The museum includes lots of information of urban development and the city of New York...truly intresting for people who like this site for example.

The museum is located at 1220 Fifth Avenue at 103rd Street in Manhattan. I highly suggest making a day trip to the museum or if you are in the city next head uptown to the museum....its truly worth it and its not to expensive either.

Museum website:

http://www.mcny.org/

Archived